Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Animal Lovers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all animal lovers and pet owners 

Tags: animal lovers, pets, animals, cats birds dogs fish reptile, official animal lovers guild 

Reply Main Forum
i will make him like me Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:28 pm
i know, but as ive said, it will be years before i need to worry abou thtat. i dont even have the proper training yet and thats a pretyt basic thing. i want to get one in maybe 20 years or more. at least wait until any future kids i have are in their late teens, or moved out.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:50 pm
Shanna66
i know, but as ive said, it will be years before i need to worry abou thtat. i dont even have the proper training yet and thats a pretyt basic thing. i want to get one in maybe 20 years or more. at least wait until any future kids i have are in their late teens, or moved out.

Okay. Like I said earlier, just making sure.

Oooh, I didn't think you were thinking THAT far ahead! Lol... I had been thinking you meant in the next 3-5 years or something, which is why I've been so "And you know this? And you know this? Right? Right???" I think I'm way too used to the usual immature, irrational pinheads that seem to flood sites like Gaia. xD  

Foofy_Miru

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:14 pm
Foofy_Miru
Shanna66

Okay. Like I said earlier, just making sure.

Oooh, I didn't think you were thinking THAT far ahead! Lol... I had been thinking you meant in the next 3-5 years or something, which is why I've been so "And you know this? And you know this? Right? Right???" I think I'm way too used to the usual immature, irrational pinheads that seem to flood sites like Gaia. xD

lol, im not about to rush into getting an animal that could kill me. im still not even 100% sure i want to keep one, just 80% sure at this point

but i understand, im the same way when i see people thinking of getting exotic pets of any type. im on alot of animal forums and see alot of people who ask about exotics and think they can cut corners in care or training and get away with it

speaking of immature people on forums
on a rat forum im on we had a ball python owner who got a live female rat and put it in the tank with her snake and left them like that overnight, no supervision, and the rat gave birth in the snake's enclosure. she was very shocked about not only having rat owners mad at her for using live food but also a bunch of rat and snake owners being pissed off because she left a full grown rat in with a snake and didnt even atempt to keep an eye on things.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:41 am
Haha... I've lectured my fair share of idiot teenagers (aka: lectured, like, one guy two or three times, not counting the occasional trip to Yahoo! Answers) on why NOT to get this or that animal (parenthetical former) or how to fix a serious screw-up with an animal they shouldn't have gotten (parenthetical latter), and it's become a reflex to assume the worst. (Which is probably for the best, in most cases.)

Uuuuugh. I don't get feeding live to begin with. But who in their right mind leaves a snake ALONE with a fully grown, fully awake prey item with fully grown teeth? Seriously. I'm lucky Jekyll, my little BCI boy, isn't all scarred up... His last owner insisted on feeding live, but Jekyll was so stressed in his new home (or liked live so little, judging by how quickly he switched back to f/t for me) that they guy figured out he had to shut Jekyll and the prey item (live adult mouse) in a shoebox to get him to eat. Really? I don't get why the guy didn't just give in to f/t (which he was used to!!!) at least until he was settled in enough to eat outside of the box.

Thinking about it, I think Jekyll just genuinely dislikes live. Sure, he killed and ate live mice just fine, but he ate on f/t with gusto his first time with me (aside from insisting on being shut in the aforementioned shoebox) and got to the point where he would actually strike at and coil the mouse before I could set it down within a couple of months. (Maybe he just likes me better, lol.. Oh, wait, there was also the factor that the idiot was co-habbing Jekyll with another snake, too... Eh. As nice as the guy was, he was an idiot.)  

Foofy_Miru

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:45 am
ive never used live with any of my snakes. i cant for ellie anyways, she has enough problems figuring out how to eat f/t. she is my special girl.

i mean i understand that some snakes will not take prekilled but most of the time when people use that excuse its because they've hardly tried at all. i dont see why feeding live is so great, you put the snake's health at risk in so many ways. when you use f/t then there is no risk of parasites, its easier to digest, smell stronger, and cant fight back and hurt your snake. i just dont understand why some people are determined to put their pet's health at risk for their own entertainment. and it really bugs me when they use the excuse that its natural. once you put a snake in a tank nature isnt a valid argument  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:45 pm
I've only used live twice, both newborn pinky mice with hatchling corn snakes. I've also offered live pinky mice a couple times other than that, but those times were to a hatchling that never ate and failed to thrive. The other two times, the first one was with a hatchling that refused to eat anything dead for a few weeks (or so--long enough to be worrisome for such a little corn). She switched to f/t with gusto for her second feeding--she just needed that kick-start. The other time, I ran out of f/t pinkies on feeding day and there were some live ones. I knew "Monster" wouldn't get "stuck" on live or anything, so I gave her a live pink from a fresh litter.. Harmless, and Monster couldn't care less about whether it was alive or dead, but I still look back sometimes and wonder why I didn't just throw it in the freezer and feed her later.

Oh, but don't you get it??? They want to impress their friends!!! Because how "cool" other people perceive them to be is the MOST important thing...

Which is the "thought" behind most live feeders, as stupid as it is. And, seriously... Any person who aren't used to snakes--the ONLY people that would be remotely impressed by watching a snake feed--are going to be just as amazed to watch a snake "kill" and eat a prekilled prey item as they would be to watch them feed live. (Well... IME, I should say. But it's the kind of thing, I think, that would hold true for most people/situations.)  

Foofy_Miru

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:01 am
well feeding a live pinky is very different from using somehting that has sharp teeth and claws. as a rat mommy i hate live feeding of any type but as a snake mommy i can understand the need of live food for a younger snake

and i really enjoy watching my snakes eat already dead food. ellie still attacks her dinner, still strangles it for far too long, and still eats an entire animal. and your right, the only people who get excited about live feedings are the people new to snakes, teenage boys, and people who have never owned a snake before

when i want to impress my friends with a live feeding i get out my biggest leopard gecko and let her go wild in a bin full of crickets.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:47 pm
Yeah, definitely a whole different beast altogether. I really feel lucky that the only animal I've ever had insist on live was the one hatchling... I don't think I could handle feeding anything live bigger than a fuzzy... I'd panic too much. xP

Watching the snakes eat is entertaining, definitely, it's just insisting on live that doesn't make sense. I'll still sit and marvel as one of the corn snakes chows down on a dripping wet f/t mouse, and the f/t feedings have, will, and still do impress every friend and family member that has been over on feeding day... In fact, I think my friends and family are even more impressed with watching a snake feed f/t, because they don't have to watch a small furry thing die.  

Foofy_Miru

Sarahmooo
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:56 am
Foofy, my snake adoring twin!
I have a question.
Half the people I talk to about my cali king say I should feed him every two weeks, and half say once a month.
Which is it? lol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:44 pm
Skittleo
I have a question.
Half the people I talk to about my cali king say I should feed him every two weeks, and half say once a month.
Which is it? lol

I'd say once every two weeks at the least. With colubrids as I know them (rats and corns--kings and milks are very similar, though), feeding moderate prey items more often is better than large prey items less often. Try once every 7-10 days with your king and, if he starts to get chubby, move it out to every 10-14 days. You should adjust it according to your king's quirks... But I really do think once a month is WAY too little for a king snake.  

Foofy_Miru

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:38 pm
the general rule for all the common pet snakes in once a week. and many small prey items is healthier than one large prey item, though the downside to not using a large prey item is that your snake doesnt get to exercise its muscles as much. i alternat between a small rat and 2 large mice for my ball python

once a month feedings are usually for the larger boids and pythons as far as i know

also today i met another rat mommy at a christmas party and she found out i also kept snakes. i tole her about how they take f/t and i think i made her want a pet snake now  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Shanna66
the general rule for all the common pet snakes in once a week. and many small prey items is healthier than one large prey item, though the downside to not using a large prey item is that your snake doesnt get to exercise its muscles as much. i alternat between a small rat and 2 large mice for my ball python

once a month feedings are usually for the larger boids and pythons as far as i know

also today i met another rat mommy at a christmas party and she found out i also kept snakes. i tole her about how they take f/t and i think i made her want a pet snake now

Well... Small pet snakes, anyway. Corn snakes, king snakes, milk snakes, yeah-- every week or two is great. (Though I've had a corn snake get fat by feeding once a week... Once you hit adulthood, it definitely varies from snake to snake--Yelina's on a 10-14 day schedule except when she's recovering from egg-laying or on an intensive exercise & high-intake regimen in preparation for breeding) For Ball pythons and Colombian Boas (which are most certainly common), every two or three weeks (and, in some cases--i.e. larger adult boas--once a month-ish) is great.

Now that I think about it, how much you feed and how often can also vary by what you feed. Yelina gets FAT on rat pups, no question about it, but they're the same gram weight as the adult mice she does so well on... The difference? A higher fat content. In most cases, you should feed less often with rats than you would with just mice (same with birds, which generally have an even lower fat content).

(BTW, I think boas and pythons both fall under the general herpetoculture term of "boids." It might not be scientifically correct, but they're similar enough creatures that it makes sense...)

Hehehe. Yes! More recruits for opposing S373 and anti-herp legislation!!! =D  

Foofy_Miru

Sarahmooo
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:48 am
Foofy_Miru
Skittleo
I have a question.
Which is it? lol

I'd say once every two weeks at the least. With colubrids as I know them (rats and corns--kings and milks are very similar, though), feeding moderate prey items more often is better than large prey items less often. Try once every 7-10 days with your king and, if he starts to get chubby, move it out to every 10-14 days. You should adjust it according to your king's quirks... But I really do think once a month is WAY too little for a king snake.

Okay.
And how many mice should I feed him, in your opinion?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:58 pm
i usually go by one prey item thats as big as fat as the biggest part of your snake

@foofy
i just say pythons and boids because thats what i learned from most of my snake books, some of them say that they are both the same but i like saying both. also i have a question for you, since you have so many snakes do you breed your own rodents?  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:43 pm
Skittle--One mouse about as wide as he is around is a good estimation.

Shanna-- Nope. I tried it once, but it cost more than just buying online in bulk...  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff