Submit

Which Shotgun?
  Remington 870
  Mossberg 590
View Results

owenmarco

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:37 pm
ArmasTermin
On folding stocks: It takes up less space when closed. Pistol grips are more solid when faced with recoil, rather than the gun recoiling essentially though your grip (at least in theory). It also looks cool. And...

On the idea of steel, steel is steel. It's harder. Harder might not equal better, but it seems like it does. That's probably the reason a lot of people would rate it higher. Same with plastic versus metal parts on guns.

For whatever reason, I thought the stock capacity on the 870 synthetic with 18" barrel was 5+1 rounds, not 4+1. I don't like that. Wait, I just read on another page about the same gun that it is 5+1. I'll have to read more into them. But as far as Remingtons, it's between the Express Synthetic and the Marine Magnum for me.

Is there any good reason for the elevator on 870s to be down all the time? If it can be made to keep up while loading without hiccups, why not just have everyone do that? Or is it a design flaw?

EDIT: I know MSRP is available via interwebs, but what's a standard gunshop price for the one's I've mentioned, if anyone knows? For 18" synthetic, Marine Magnum, Moss. 590 SP.
If you need it to fit in an enclosed space, you need to look at two things. Your storage considerations, and your weapon considerations. Often, if you need a folding stock for it to fit, you need a plain-out smaller gun like a pistol-caliber carbine, if not a pistol. Such as the KelTec Sub 2000.
If you need more help with recoil, you might be better off digging up a used semi-auto, as they dampen it much more (usually).

Remington isn't being consistent with their descriptions. You'll notice on their page for the "7-shot" Express Synthetic, it has a mag capacity of 6. They don't say if it's the mag-only capacity or overall for the 18". I know my 20" 500 has 7 in the tube and one in the chamber for 8, and it is consistently marketed as the "8 shot" model, and the rest of Mossberg's shotguns are marketed including the round in the chamber. They even have a little disclaimer on their specs pages.
You'd be better off finding someone who has the exact model and asking them, or calling Remington.

It's down for smoothness. It doesn't have to push it down when you work the slide, only pull it up as you push forward. Which you don't notice near as much.

Gunshop price will be different for everyone, because it's based on location. MSRP is a good idea, if only general.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:26 pm
owenmarco
Remington isn't being consistent with their descriptions. You'll notice on their page for the "7-shot" Express Synthetic, it has a mag capacity of 6. They don't say if it's the mag-only capacity or overall for the 18". I know my 20" 500 has 7 in the tube and one in the chamber for 8, and it is consistently marketed as the "8 shot" model, and the rest of Mossberg's shotguns are marketed including the round in the chamber. They even have a little disclaimer on their specs pages.
You'd be better off finding someone who has the exact model and asking them, or calling Remington.
I'm about 80% certain that when Remington says "7", you can bet it's a 6+1.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Hans Reiker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:35 pm
******** me standing, I'm going to buy both a Mossberg 590a1 and a Remington Marine Magnum, then I can have the best of both worlds, or make the two shotguns ******** and I can have a Remingberg or something, haha.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:22 am
Hans Reiker
You know what Mossberg can NEVER do?

User Image

That's a righty 870 with a breacher pistol grip and a lefty 870 with a Monte Carlo stock. Double-barrel pump-action FROM HELL.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:28 am
WHERE THE HELL DO I GET ONE?!?!?!  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:57 am
Fresnel
Hans Reiker

User Image

That's a righty 870 with a breacher pistol grip and a lefty 870 with a Monte Carlo stock. Double-barrel pump-action FROM HELL.
Know what else it can't do?

Break your goddamn wrist and your jaw when you fire it mrgreen  

owenmarco

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:40 am
owenmarco
Fresnel
Hans Reiker

User Image

Know what else it can't do?

Break your goddamn wrist and your jaw when you fire it mrgreen
If a double-barrel break shotgun doesn't kill you, a double-barrel pump won't either. And the owner pulled both triggers on a buckshot load once in a Practical Shotgun course, to breach a door. Didn't kill him, and he completed the course with decent marks for such an un-pimped shotgun.

@Requiem: DIY only, unfortunately.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:27 pm
Apparently there are tacticaled shotguns available factory stock from Remington (learned from Nutnfancy review on youTube). But they're not on the official website, which is odd. I mean, why not mention them?  

ArmasTermin

Shrantic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:00 pm
Fresnel
Hans Reiker

User Image

Needs a Masterkey. neutral  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:31 pm
ArmasTermin
Apparently there are tacticaled shotguns available factory stock from Remington (learned from Nutnfancy review on youTube). But they're not on the official website, which is odd. I mean, why not mention them?
Because they mostly don't sell them directly to civilians. Their Police models are restricted for sale (new from Remington, anyway), and there are even parts that are restricted to only owners of Police models.

Mossberg sells all of their shotguns to the public wink  

owenmarco

Hans Reiker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:50 pm
owenmarco
ArmasTermin
Because they mostly don't sell them directly to civilians. Their Police models are restricted for sale (new from Remington, anyway), and there are even parts that are restricted to only owners of Police models.

I can get a brand new Mossberg 590A1, 9 shot, for $410 at the place I go to.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:53 pm
Shrantic
Fresnel
Hans Reiker

User Image

Needs a Masterkey. neutral
Toss some 3in magnum slugs in the chambers, hold it with one hand and pull the trigger.  

Hans Reiker

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:54 pm
I don't know whether I'd get an 870, a Mossberg 500/590, or an Ithaca 37. I'm leaning towards the latter, because then I don't have to search for a lefty version.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:51 pm
Requiem in Mortis
I don't know whether I'd get an 870, a Mossberg 500/590, or an Ithaca 37. I'm leaning towards the latter, because then I don't have to search for a lefty version.
And you're in luck. They just release the Defense model. A lot cheaper than the $700-$800 for their featherweights, and still cheaper than most used models. You just give up removing the barrel or changing chokes.

Browning also makes the BPS, which bottom-ejects like the Ithaca.  

owenmarco

owenmarco

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:53 pm
Hans Reiker
owenmarco
ArmasTermin

I can get a brand new Mossberg 590A1, 9 shot, for $410 at the place I go to.
s**t, if I can get $100, I'd totally trade you my 8-shot Persuader and $100 for it. Even trade. They are always out of stock with the local distributors.  
Buying and Advice

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff