Submit

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:24 pm
OberFeldwebel
Floyd
OberFeldwebel
From what I've heard all the white people in the movie Avatar are racist jackasses, and the two people who are minorities, a relative term, are the 'good guys'.

This is another 'whites are racist ******** and you should hate all of them because of it and all you whites should feel bad' movie.

Also could be seen as an allegory for the war in iraq.

You nailed it. This is anti-war mythbuilding. Kind of like a cross between District 9 and Ferngully 1 and 2.

More like District 9 in most respects. The humans wind up being the evil ones because all they appear to want are new weapons and don't care about the aliens.

The myth of the moon in orbit of a planet near Alpha Centauri is the standard "they have resources that Earth needs now or we're all gonna die' plot. Thus, send in the space marines to settle the claims.

There's a Ferngully 2?
*sigh*

Is there also a Bambi III?
Oh yes... there WILL be blood!

Quote:
Would have been a better movie IMO if they sent Captain Picard instead of the SPACE MURRINES!!!

Not that I'm against a good Aliens vs Space Marines movie, just don't want one that makes them look like a bunch of racist derps.
SPEES MUREENS!  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:51 pm
Floyd
OberFeldwebel
From what I've heard all the white people in the movie Avatar are racist jackasses, and the two people who are minorities, a relative term, are the 'good guys'.

This is another 'whites are racist ******** and you should hate all of them because of it and all you whites should feel bad' movie.

You nailed it. This is anti-war mythbuilding. Kind of like a cross between District 9 and Ferngully 1 and 2.

More like District 9 in most respects. The humans wind up being the evil ones because all they appear to want are new weapons and don't care about the aliens.

The myth of the moon in orbit of a planet near Alpha Centauri is the standard "they have resources that Earth needs now or we're all gonna die' plot. Thus, send in the space marines to settle the claims.
Not quite. They were sent to mine a mineral that sells for "16 million dollars a kilo". And they're not Space Marines, they're mercenaries hired to work for the company mining the ore.

And Avatar was a hell of a lot better than District 9.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

Ubasti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:00 pm
So after reading this thread, I decided to go see the movie. All I have to say is <******** epic. That was awesome.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:01 pm
OberFeldwebel
Really? I saw it as more of an allegory to what happened to the Native Americans, except they won in the end in the movie.  

Ubasti

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:42 am
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Floyd
OberFeldwebel

There's a Ferngully 2?
*sigh*

Is there also a Bambi III?
Oh yes... there WILL be blood!

Quote:
Would have been a better movie IMO if they sent Captain Picard instead of the SPACE MURRINES!!!

Not that I'm against a good Aliens vs Space Marines movie, just don't want one that makes them look like a bunch of racist derps.
SPEES MUREENS!
FOR THE EMPRAH!  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:31 pm
Ubasti
OberFeldwebel
Really? I saw it as more of an allegory to what happened to the Native Americans, except they won in the end in the movie.

Yeah, that is another way to see it as well.  

OberFeldwebel

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:27 pm
I haven't seen it yet. I assumed it was based on the stupid cartoon so I probably don't want to see it. Anyway it's getting kinda old seeing so many Avatar themed drawings on deviantart.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:14 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
I haven't seen it yet. I assumed it was based on the stupid cartoon so I probably don't want to see it. Anyway it's getting kinda old seeing so many Avatar themed drawings on deviantart.
For the last time,

IT'S NOT THE MOVIE FOR THE STUPID CARTOON, IT'S COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

[/rage]  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:12 am
Requiem in Mortis
Das Rabble Rouser
For the last time,

IT'S NOT THE MOVIE FOR THE STUPID CARTOON, IT'S COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

[/rage]
This is the James Cameron's biggest failure. Releasing a movie under the name of a popular TV show, which is coincidentally releasing its own movie the same year.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:32 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:09 am
Fresnel
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

wow, really?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:29 am
Floyd
OberFeldwebel

Technically, thay weren't space marines. thay were mercenaries hired by the mining company to protect the mining vehicles.

But I get your drift.  

AINGELPROJECT667

Shy Lunatic

5,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Trader 100
  • Partygoer 500

war_junky 91

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:29 pm
Looks like avatar is going to at least have a sequel, director wants a trilogy. Apparently he planned it like that and there are even key scenes in the first movie that set up the second one. http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-avatar-trilogy.html  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:06 pm
Well, I may be going to see it again tomorrow. Hopefully the 3D won't give me a headache this time, but I REALLY don't want to part with another $10 for those damn glasses.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

Maddness91

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:58 pm
wow... avatar gets golden globe for best motion picture - drama... while the hurt locker, precious, and others sit by watching... get out of town man confused  
Chatterbox/Humor

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff