Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Miscellaneous Threads
The "Why Do..." / "How Come..." Thread Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Griff_Illwind

6,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:58 pm
Why is it that when I go to cons people who you have met before who seemed cool then. Turn into complete assholes with in a few months???
They were cool at some of the early con meet-ups but know they think they are god. I just want to pop the bubble they are in and watch them fall  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:01 pm
salsababy2889
Musical Panda
And every time you ask him for another vanishing act,
he half smiles as if to say...
I could totally imagine other reasons to go with the cosplay, such as a Tohru having a cat Kyo and mouse Yuki and hugging them, as if they had just transformed. That would be justifiable to go with the outfit, I think.

..."Whatever you want,
whatever you want,
whatever you want is fine by me."

Yeah, that I understand which is why I made mention of the Plushie creature comment being okay with me, but if they're carrying around the entire human cast with them, then I just think it's pointless :/
And every time you ask him for another vanishing act,
he half smiles as if to say...

Yeah, I think if they were to have an extreme number of plushies like the entire cast, they're either lonely, attention hogs, or need to be told they look like fools. I think one can be ok. I could totally see, for example, a Momiji cosplayer having a Tohru plush. Not even a rice ball Tohru, just chibi or something. That actually sounds adorable.... XD I kinda wanna see that/draw that now.... [/digression]

..."Whatever you want,
whatever you want,
whatever you want is fine by me."

Stegsie

Tiny Friend

12,600 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Timid 100

salsaplant

GO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:14 am
Yeah, I guess things like that are okay, but I just think plushies tend to take away from the 'seriousness' (for lack of a better word) of a cosplay-- Like, if someone dressed as Carmila from Vampire Hunter D, that'd be awesome, but then if they were to carry around a Dunpiel plushie with it, I feel like it'd take away from the costume. . . Ya know? *is hard to explain*

@Lord_Griff: I think it's because at the time you're only getting a brief glimpse into the side of them that has the common interest of anime, video games, and things like that, but when you see them taken out of the convention aspect and put them in a real-life setting, you get to see who they really are when they're not busy with conventions. That or they could just be fake people and act differently at cons *shrugs*

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:17 am
Ok, I thought I'd weigh in on some of these topics:

1. On KH cosplays, yeah some people are doing the whole half assed thing, I for one try to put some effort into my cosplays to make it look close to the character I'm doing, as for the Eastertown cosplay, I would love to see that, sounds cool

2. Glomping, I hate that, I was glomped doing Kisuke a few times, thank god I wasn't carrying Benihime or that my wig came off, so yeah, annoying as all hell

3. Plushies, 1 or 2 is good but any more than that would be downright sad

4. Multiple cosplays, people with WAYYY too much time on their hands

5. "Hooking up", uhh no, there's a time and a place for everything and that's neither the time nor the place for that

now for my question, Why do Pro Cos (Professional Cosplayers) have a god complex, ie, they think they should be treated like celebs or something  

The Lone Wolf Jedi

3,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250

salsaplant

GO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:18 am
I have often wondered that too D':
It's like, yeah I think your cosplays are amazing and you do a great job, but that doesn't mean I should worship you; I respect you, I admire you, but I don't think that boosts you up to A-List Celebrity. I think they just let it get to their heads-- Like, it's one thing to be confident in your work and your cosplay skills (I think confidence is a key thing when it comes to cosplay) but then they get a bit of recognition and they blow it out of proportion. And maybe it's just my theory, but I think a lot of those Pro Cos started out as those 'elitists' you always see at cons, and later on just got the status as a Professional; so they were narcassistic from the beginning, not necessarily because they're Pro Cos (though I'm sure that does help boost their god complex greatly).

I think we should start a group of Unprofessional Professional Cosplayers-- Cosplayers who cosplay frequently because they like to, and they don't have the bitchy attitudes and the superiority complex D:<

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:14 am
What is a "professional cosplayer"? I mean... like, in the literal sense of the word "professional", as in they get paid to do it? Sorry, I've heard the term a couple times but wasn't sure if anyone meant it literally. xD;

Why is it that people feel a need to rag on other people who have obviously put effort into their costume? I'm not talking about the people who obviously just threw some clothes on and said they were cosplaying. I mean the people who have put serious effort into their costumes, but maybe aren't the best at sewing/sculpting/etc, and people just bash them to pieces to their face or behind their back.

Charubi

salsaplant

GO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:26 am
"A cosplay model, also known as a Cosplay Idol, is a promotional model who models cosplay costumes for anime, manga, video game companies", or cosplay magazines; sometimes they're even hired by the conventions themselves. And yes, they are paid to do so *nodnod*  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:56 pm
I think elitists are jerks because they misunderstand that most of the time people aren't fans of the person in the costume but of the costume itself. It'd be different if it were like Taylor Swift in a Misa cosplay but it's not. It's just a regular person in a rather great looking costume and I think they forget that. Also a lot of the really popular con idols are model level women who have guys just drooling over them. Like if you dress like Ivy from Soul Calibur or blood elf in a really skimpy outfit then of course your going to be 'popular'.

That is not to say that is the only reason though. I've seen males in really amazing cosplays who are the same way and I even know a guy who only cosplays people like Dante just to get girls to hook up with him which segueways into ...

CON HOOK UPS (Dun Dun Dun )

People just like to hook up at conventions and get it on. I can't really say I'm against it only cause it's up to the two people if they do or do not. No one's like twisting their arm into it but at raves you gotta becareful cause people pass out E and stuff. Also some girls and guys are naturally....flirty. One girl I've known about makes out with guys and girls at raves while dancing. Typically while under E or acid cause it's the "mood" set. personally I dont see the point to coming to a place like an anime convention and then bringing drugs to a rave. Your paying like 50 at the door to get in already and now you want to give out drugs just so you might get some? tch.. go pay 10 bucks at a club and save yourself 40 bucks and the embarrasement of hitting on girls in cosplay.

I have more to say but it's kinda just a bad topic to get into anymore.

GLOMPING!! stressed

If someone charges me to tackle hug me, I will sidestep them and punch them in the back of the head as they sail by. I've had it done twice and I utterly refuse to deal with it again. If you walk up and ask to hug me then I'm ok with that but I wont be tackled like in football. -huffs-

User_1017918

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:09 pm
Why do girls think it's okay to touch another girl inappropriately?

A Lust I saw at Sugoicon (who has a Gaia account) got her breasts fondled by another girl on the last day of the con. Wtf, and the girl simply goes, "SorryLustIhavetodothis!" *Fondle* It's just not right >_<  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:10 pm
I have a question does buying your costume make you a bad cosplayer? Because I was going to buy the akatuski outfit and then wear that until I get my other one done...  

the-fluffy-angel

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:39 pm
Why would ppl rather bump in2 instead of kindly asking me if I can move out of the way? and y are some ppl are jerk like when u ask them 2 move? (I even said please)

(Is it because I am Mexican? O___O joking, at least I hope that is not the reason)  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:53 pm
How come closet cosplays are looked down upon?
Some characters wear simple clothes so if you want to cosplay as that person, is it so wrong to look for the exact same clothes in your closet?  

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:32 pm
OhNoesItsMiho
I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I think ppl just feel that closet cosplayers don't put in enough effort. I have a friedn who cosplays L from death note. If he wants 2 wear it, it is fine with me. Cosplayers should not really care about negative comments that might be said about them. If some1 can pull it off than it is ok with me.
The problem with closet cosplayers is that it is probably 2 easy and because of that we might c like 60 "L"s (Ax09).  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:51 pm
LOL I see.

How come people stare like this: " eek " when they see a person walking around in an all knit cosplay?

Is it because it's SO rare or is it because they think, "HOLY SHI----something's wrong with that person."

Why is felt a no-no in the cosplay world?  

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:40 pm
IDKY, it can be many reasons. I think that a cosplay that is knit might look cool. But then again IDK I have never seen 1. PPl are weird and have there own taste they might just be admiring it or staring at u weirdly (maybe a creeper stare, hopefully not a creeper)  
Miscellaneous Threads

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff