Hans Reiker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:10 pm
Fresnel
Hans Reiker
Fresnel
Hans Reiker
Fresnel
ArmasTermin
I got in today a white bead sight from Midway USA to go on my Mossy 500 when it comes in (just one more day!). I think I'll apply a little glow-in-the-dark paint (which I ordered recently) once I have it mounted. I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with bead sights for use with buckshot. Skeet shooters use them, and they'rs shooting stuff going (#) miles and hour (#) feet in the air. Ghost rings would be really useful for slugs, but I don't intend to shoot a lot of slugs, so I forgoed the extra expense. Plus they require a higher line of sight and are more prone to breakage.

Simple can be good.

If you're shooting single projectiles that should impact right where the sight is put, it's important to have accurate sights. But if your point of impact will be 9-20 different places, the shot pattern should land a few inches left, right, above, and below that bead. Seems perfectly fine to me. Of course this coming from someone whose never even fired a shotgun once, so take everything I've said with the value of the period at the end of this sentence

See what I did there?
Skeet shooters usually use a vent rib, too. I've got nothing against the vent rail with a bead on the end. It's perfectly adequate for most uses. The thing is, the 870 Police has a bead on the end of a bare barrel. You've got literally nothing else to work with, except maybe some texture grooves on the action, IDK. I'm not saying ghost rings are the only way to go, I'm just saying I'd never buy a bare bead and expect to leave it that way.

I read an article on the 870 vs the M4 for energy delivery over distance... The two guys were given a stock 870 Police and a stock M4, to see how they stacked up on the base models. The shotgunner was screwing the pooch past 50 yards, largely because he wasn't hitting the target most times. When they tried it again with their own, heavily customized weapons (he had some kind of holosight on his 1100; big bucks), he put every round on-target and almost outclassed the M4 at 100 yards.
You can order the 870P with rifle sights if you really wanted too.
That I was not aware of. Certainly better than a simple bead, but it seems... I dunno, weird? xd
You can have them with the bead, rifle sights, and ghost ring sights. One thing that I am unsure with, does the Police model have the metal trigger housing or polymer? I've found sites saying either or.
I thought the 870 design was 100% steel.
The Express line, including the Tactical and Marine Magnum which are based on the Express line have a polymer trigger group. To my knowledge, the Remington 870 Police has a metal trigger group. I've heard people say that now the even the Police model has the polymer trigger housing but then again I find people say that is not so.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:59 am
Hans Reiker
Fresnel
Hans Reiker
Fresnel
Hans Reiker
That I was not aware of. Certainly better than a simple bead, but it seems... I dunno, weird? xd
You can have them with the bead, rifle sights, and ghost ring sights. One thing that I am unsure with, does the Police model have the metal trigger housing or polymer? I've found sites saying either or.
The Express line, including the Tactical and Marine Magnum which are based on the Express line have a polymer trigger group. To my knowledge, the Remington 870 Police has a metal trigger group. I've heard people say that now the even the Police model has the polymer trigger housing but then again I find people say that is not so.
I thought the only difference between the Express and the Wingmaster was the finish... Express is parkerized, Wingmaster is blued. Except the Marine Magnum.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Hans Reiker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:10 am
Fresnel
Hans Reiker
Fresnel
Hans Reiker
Fresnel
Hans Reiker
I thought the only difference between the Express and the Wingmaster was the finish... Express is parkerized, Wingmaster is blued. Except the Marine Magnum.
No, the Express is called an Express for a reason, they do not take as much time producing these shotguns, they have a less quality finish and sometimes even burrs inside of the receiver causing shell extraction malfunctions.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:01 pm
Hans Reiker
Fresnel
Hans Reiker
Fresnel
Hans Reiker
No, the Express is called an Express for a reason, they do not take as much time producing these shotguns, they have a less quality finish and sometimes even burrs inside of the receiver causing shell extraction malfunctions.
Makes me wonder why they only make two models of Wingmaster, then.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:41 pm
Fresnel
Hans Reiker
Fresnel
Hans Reiker
Fresnel
Hans Reiker
The Express is cheaper all over. Their chambers are badly polished, creating problems with the walmart specials. Remington will polish the chamber for free. If you send it back to them. You can also do it at home if you have a cordless drill, a spare section of cleaning rod, and a couple other things.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:42 pm
Fresnel
Hans Reiker
Fresnel
Hans Reiker
Fresnel
Hans Reiker
Because it's a hunting gun?

They only make three models, grand total, of the Model 37 (Ithaca here). The Featherweight and Ultralite, and then the new Defense Model (AKA M37 EXPRESS! Except I bet the workmanship is probably better)  

uryu ishida

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:15 pm
I like those Ithaca 37s. Have for a while. But I didn't know they were still in production. Here's a picture of one someone in THR dolled up pretty nicely.

User Image

I heart it.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:05 pm
uryu ishida
Fresnel
Hans Reiker
Fresnel
Hans Reiker

They only make three models, grand total, of the Model 37 (Ithaca here). The Featherweight and Ultralite, and then the new Defense Model (AKA M37 EXPRESS! Except I bet the workmanship is probably better)
Well, I mean, if the Wingmaster is better built, why do they make thirty kinds of Express, and TWO Wingmasters? They don't even make a rifled Wingmaster, a tactical Wingmaster, or a camo Wingmaster.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Hans Reiker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:52 pm
Fresnel
uryu ishida
Fresnel
Hans Reiker
Fresnel
Hans Reiker

Well, I mean, if the Wingmaster is better built, why do they make thirty kinds of Express, and TWO Wingmasters? They don't even make a rifled Wingmaster, a tactical Wingmaster, or a camo Wingmaster.
The 870 Police is almost like a tactical Wingmaster, you could look at it that way.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:41 am
Hans Reiker
Fresnel
uryu ishida
Fresnel
Hans Reiker

The 870 Police is almost like a tactical Wingmaster, you could look at it that way.
I swear at one time I saw a listing on Remington's site for an 870 police, but it's not there now. You have a link to one?  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Hans Reiker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:54 am
Fresnel
Hans Reiker
Fresnel
uryu ishida
Fresnel
Hans Reiker

I swear at one time I saw a listing on Remington's site for an 870 police, but it's not there now. You have a link to one?
Yup  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:03 am
Fres, this should get you a little closer: http://www.remingtonle.com/shotguns/870standard.htm

On a side note, I should be able to pick up my Mossberg in just some hours now...  

ArmasTermin

Hans Reiker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:06 am
ArmasTermin
Fres, this should get you a little closer: http://www.remingtonle.com/shotguns/870standard.htm

On a side note, I should be able to pick up my Mossberg in just some hours now...
I find out later today if my 870 Police is in stock or not, I am filled with anticipation.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:06 am
Hans Reiker
ArmasTermin

I find out later today if my 870 Police is in stock or not, I am filled with anticipation.

I see your anticipation and raise you awkward sexual excitement. wink  

ArmasTermin

Hans Reiker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:09 am
ArmasTermin
Hans Reiker
ArmasTermin

I see your anticipation and raise you awkward sexual excitement. wink
Haha  
Buying and Advice

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas