Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
wRPG's are s**t. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:18 pm
Raike99
nitnit
Raike's an idiot. Assuming that the boy's even played a wRPG, it was probably too complex and hard for him.
wRPG's are boring, and even more generic than jRPGs. Every character is masculine, ******** of romances, fetch quests up the a** (jRPG's follow this too, though.), every wRPG is in space, or the middle ages; and yes, I'm an idiot..

Oh. Sorry. Forgot about a couple things:

- In almost all of the good wRPGs you make all of your character from scratch. Therefore if your characters are masculine that's your fault. The only really good wRPG I can think of where your character is predefined is Planescape: Torment, and your actions still define his personality, and he's too busy trying to figure out who the hell he is to be overly macho.

- Not that many wRPGs have romances, you're thinking of bioware stuff. Also if they do have romance, it's usually a subplot you have to go out of your way to complete.

- Fetch quests are up the a** in every genre, and almost every game with quests. Having said that, this is your only remotely correct point. So grats =)

- Fallout, Planescape, Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, Deus Ex, Arcanum are all not in the middle ages or space. (Once again, you're thinking that Bioware = wRPG)

In conclusion: There are more wRPG makers than Bioware and Bethesda, and Raike is still an idiot.

also can you define "generic" ? because if by "generic" you mean "similar" then you may as well call every non gimmick game "generic"

P.S - Sonic: Chronicles was a jRPG styled game made by a western company.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:29 pm
Raike, there's something that I learned on my little religious outing that if I had learned it sooner, it would have saved me A LOT of pain and humiliation.

Let's analyze the word assume. Taking it apart, we see that there are two words and a spare letter that is commonly used to represent a word:

a**-U-Me

When we assume something, without taking into account every conceivable outcome or without a full knowledge of the subject, we take the risk of not only proving our lack of information, (which is forgivable), we take a risk of hurting or offending someone, sometimes deeply.

Patience is a virtue, and part of patience is listening and looking for an answer, or in this case justification, to your concern.

You seem to be forgetting a few games when making your broad generalization: Bioshock, Deus Ex, and Fallout 3.

There's also Jade Empire, if that's more your style.

I could go off tangent and argue about TES III: Morrowind, but I feel that might be a waste of time.  

Mirri the Sneak

Noble Noob

2,350 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Full closet 200

Kunx the Mighty
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:59 pm
Every JRPG has romance in it more than WRPG.

wRPGs are more based around D&D than anything.

jRPGs are more based around D&D than anything, then came FF.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:30 am
Raike99
Razull
Bioware
Sonic RPG.

The exception to the rule, obviously. But within the company's fanbase you don't have half calling every other game they make absolute shite for the past decade as you do with Square, who are for some reason considered the best dev company in their genre.

Quote:
While up at BioWare's headquarters in Edmonton, I had the opportunity to throw some questions at company co-founders Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk. I was curious about how the duo felt about the current RPG landscape in general, and why we're seeing more and more western-style RPGs while JRPGs have, at least among North American audiences, fallen somewhat to the wayside.

"The fall of the JRPG in large part is due to a lack of evolution, a lack of progression," Zeschuk said. "They kept delivering the same thing over and over. They make the dressing better, they look prettier, but it's still the same experience.

"My favorite thing, it's funny when you still see it, but the joke of some of the dialogue systems where it asks, 'do you wanna do this or this,' and you say no. 'Do you wanna do this or this?' No. 'Do you wanna do this or this?' No. Lemme think -- you want me to say 'yes.' And that, unfortunately, really characterized the JRPG."

Zeschuk admits that there are definitely exceptions coming from the East (Demon's Souls is currently one of his favorite games), but North American definitions of role-playing have simply evolved beyond those of their counterparts on the other side of the world. "We have big debates on whether GTA is an RPG, for example. It's got all the elements, it just doesn't have the numbers. And what gamers here want is that higher depth, that higher integration of features...Mass Effect 2 is in some ways a continuation of that evolution."

Some common reasons people dislike the JRPG as opposed to WRPG.
Quote:
1) The embarrassingly useless females, 2) the insanely feminine males, 3) the character all suffering some pretty retarded personal problems that can be solved by outgrowing puberty, 4) horrible decision making skills (refer to 3), 5) really stupid stereotypes of non-Japanese individuals...

Those GAMES are massive cliches now; didn't we have an article that revealed these Japanese companies (Square Enix included) get less than 15% of their revenue from the West? Screw it all, long live Yasumi Matsuno (Ogre Battle, FFT)!

And lastly a fairly decent article about the topic. That shows why Persona was the best JRPG series of the past 9 years, probably inadvertently though.  

Cybylt

Raike99

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:08 am
Killer Walnut94
Why are you complaining if you say that jrpgs follow the same concept? do you just hate the fact that wrpg characters are not spiky-haired emos that are covered head-to-toe with zippers? what else is there to make with wrpgs anyway? "Grocery Store Manager 2: The Tomato Stealer". I wish i could play a wrpg like that.
wRPG's are boring. The stories are rarely, if ever, deep. I have to admit, though, that some wRPG's are really immersive like DA:O, Bioshock, Fallout 3, and Mass Effect, mainly because you choose most/all of your character's decisions, and can customize your character to a T. Combat ends up becoming clunky and boring (I'm looking at you, Fallout 3.)
Kunx the Mighty
Every JRPG has romance in it more than WRPG.
Romances in the sense that you have to do an entire side quest just to watch a cutscene where you're looking at a dark room and hear moaning noises.
nitnit
Raike is still an idiot.
Golly gosh darnit.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:12 am
Raike99
I have to admit, though, that some wRPG's are really immersive like DA:O, Bioshock

Wtf am I reading?  

Kunx the Mighty
Crew

The Ginger Dude

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:08 pm
Look people, he has his own opinion as does everyone else does, even if you think he's igonorant, which i think he is, but hey, how it makes the world go round  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:01 pm
Jugemaster nitnit laying down some more rulings.

- Bioshock isn't a wRPG. It's a First Person Shooter where you can upgrade your weapons and use plasmids.

- I like how Raike randomly misquoted me and dodged my wall of counterpoints.

- Raike also doesn't seem to know the difference between "romance" and "casual sex in a video game".

- Raike also hasn't played any wRPGs that weren't released on a console, lol. He also thinks that Fallout 3's story is full of immersion*is actually laughing out loud in real life*

- On that note, Raike clearly hasn't really played many wRPGs since he thinks the rest have bad stories (What are examples of wRPGs with bad stories?)

- Raike apparently hasn't even really played Bioshock since he thinks his decisions matter at all.

- Raike apparently hasn't played a game where you create your character fully since he thinks that Mass Effect and Bioshock have deep character customization.

Hence, Raike's an idiot. And a successful troll, grats bro.  

nitnit
Captain

Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas