Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Checking Guild Interest Level Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mirri the Sneak

Noble Noob

2,350 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:24 am
This is starting up again, huh?

well, my first suggestion would be to check out Chaotic; screw around with it, play a game or two, figure things out. It's design is eerily similar to what you're proposing to make.

I'm bored out of my mind right now, so I'd be happy to try and help out again.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:56 pm
Hmm, Chaotic looks very interesting, but I fail to see many similarities to be honest. Glad to hear your interested =D  

nitnit
Captain

Raike99

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:47 am
I call being the s**t-ified Kuriboh of the game.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:04 pm
I wasn't planning on making cards based on guild members  

nitnit
Captain

Jonnnn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:19 am
nitnit
I wasn't planning on making cards based on guild members

Except Sceptile of course  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:34 am
if you want it to catch on to people outside the guild, maybe sigs promoting the game would help.  

ravemaster47

Mirri the Sneak

Noble Noob

2,350 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:39 pm
nitnit
Hmm, Chaotic looks very interesting, but I fail to see many similarities to be honest. Glad to hear your interested =D
I see quite a few, and maybe even an idea or two that we can adapt. Personally, I like these ideas:

1. Monsters and Equipment already in play

2. Location selected by attacking player

3. Rule of Two

4. Assist, (Mugic), cast by allied creatures outside of combat.

5. The stack  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:16 pm
Not trying to be argumentitive, but I still don't see too many similarities (Perhaps I didn't read enough? Either way specific examples would help)

As for the ideas:

1. Goes against the whole premise of the game
2. Defeats defensive strategy, the current row system allows you to hide your important/weakened players in the back.
3. What is the rule of two?
4. We already have a magic system, and a lot of cards will have abilities they can use on the battlefield.
5. The stack is probably taken directly from MTG, or an older card game. It's a great system for a face to face card game, but will slow down the game too much for online post based gameplay.  

nitnit
Captain

Mirri the Sneak

Noble Noob

2,350 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:10 pm
nitnit
Not trying to be argumentitive, but I still don't see too many similarities (Perhaps I didn't read enough? Either way specific examples would help)

As for the ideas:

1. Goes against the whole premise of the game
2. Defeats defensive strategy, the current row system allows you to hide your important/weakened players in the back.
3. What is the rule of two?
4. We already have a magic system, and a lot of cards will have abilities they can use on the battlefield.
5. The stack is probably taken directly from MTG, or an older card game. It's a great system for a face to face card game, but will slow down the game too much for online post based gameplay.
...have you ever watched an episode of Chaotic, by chance?

Getting beyond that, the rule of two is a simple rule that states that no more than 2 of each card may be used in a deck. This forces players to find synergy from different cards rather than depend solely on a set combo.

Another point that I thought I would bring up is token generation vs casting creatures: why not have structures that make tokens of specific creatures? It's a common theme in the vidya.

Another thing I was thinking about was a uniform deck cost: something similar to Heroclix, where both teams have a set amount of points they can use. The "generals" could influence this either positively or negatively depending on their stamina and abilities. All cards would have a deck cost along with a casting cost, again, forcing players to find synergy rather than try and focus on one or two "I win" cards.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:16 pm
No, I've never seen Chaotic. After the success of yu gi oh quite a few random game/show combination s were released (duel masters, bakugan, etc). Therefore, if you could simply tell me the similarities, it'd be helpful.

Rule of two is just a variation of Magic's no more than 4 ofa single card, and no more than 3 in yu gi oh. I'd rather decide these things on a card by card basis.

Token generation is a solid idea, I was considering having some structures like this actually.

Uniform cost is another solid idea, but I think that my current plan of all cards costing 1 unless stated otherwise works just as well. The thing about heroclix and warhammer that differs from this game is you have these creatures from the very start, and most of the strategy deals with moving around on the map - something that would be very difficult/nearly impossible for this forum based game.  

nitnit
Captain

Mirri the Sneak

Noble Noob

2,350 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:01 am
The reason I bring up the show is simply because it's a bit more faithful than the standard fare to its card game counter-part, (which is kinda funny when you think about it).

The battle system is based on a grid, similar to your layer idea. Each player begins the fight with an equal number of monsters in a diamond-like formation, each layer having one more card than the last. Once a creature is destroyed, its spot opens up for either player to move in. However a creature can only move one tile at a time unless otherwise stated.

Creature evasion exists in the form of range, but we've already defined what connects your system to this game. Moving on.

Another concept fairly unique to this forum game is the idea of terrain and areas to fight, rather than just some open area. While it's been adapted recently by other TCGs, (probably most well by the Pokemon TCG), it's mostly pronounced in Chaotic. Each turn the arena shifts depending on a random pull from the attacker's location deck. While I'm sure that area shifting won't be as drastic or dramatic as this, it is a similarity. Something similar to the Stadium system in the Pokemon TCG wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

The third thing I notice is the equipment system, and there's something here that might be worth borrowing. Equipment is pre-set and pre-assigned to each creature, but unless stated stays face down until the equipment is used. Allowing players to "hide" cards in a game where everything is essentially open allows for a fair bit of strategy to be used. Of course, the added bonus of having people try to get multiple "comes into play" effects triggered is always fun to see.

The last thing that struck me when comparing this game to Chaotic was the "Open-hand/No Deck" style of play. Chaotic runs on the location and attack decks, but there's no way to deck a player, (even when either deck runs out of cards, the appropriate discard pile is shuffled and that becomes the new deck). Generally speaking, locations simply determine who attacks first and attacks are fairly consistent apart from the occasional bomb-shell card. The real depth and strategy of the game comes from what you do with the abilities in play and the mugic cards you pick out for the deck, which you have access to throughout the entire game, (until used, of course).

That's all I really see linking the two games. If it weren't for the fact that Magic was so reliant on the stack for its strategy, I'd be relating your game to that rather than Chaotic.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:02 am
Hmm, again not really seeing many similarities, lol. Anyways.

Environment cards are something I've considered, but ultimately decided against since they can be pretty centralizing. In a game where most leaders give certain cards a specific boost, and certain currencies are needed to summon creatures, I'd rather not also throw in environment cards and force players to play with a "tribe" deck (to borrow a term from MTG). Consider this, if I released a series of environment/stadium cards where they boosted a single card type (Space Marines for example) or an elemental attack type, then it would be harder to build a deck that doesn't use a leader/environment build catered to one type like that. I want "tribes" to be viable, but I also want a well made non tribe deck to be as well.

As for hiding equipment, this is something else that the forum format limits. In real life it's typically clear to not know what your opponent has if they keep it face down. In this game, it's easy enough to take a gander at all of the cards players have earned (it'll be public) and figure out what they'll use. On the flip side, it'll also be pretty simple for someone to outright lie about what's preassigned.

You can't really deck someone in this game either. You can however force the opponent into a situation where they can't play anything and have to slowly watch their leader die (unless their leader has some great activated abilities)

Thanks for the input, I just think that right now the current set up will work very well. (any other ideas will be considered however)  

nitnit
Captain

Crimson Hagane

5,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:12 pm
Checking Thread Interest Level.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:10 pm
Omega Knight X
Checking Thread Interest Level.