Synthetic Vs Wood (Asthetics) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:05 pm
My uncle has a really beautiful hand crafted stock made of woven maple. The last 2 years I've forgotten to get pictures at the family reunion but this year I'll try to make a point to get a picture of it. It's really nice.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:13 am
I like wood at times but I prefer a good synthetic if I had to use it in a real situation. They are lighter but for the most part you have more options I think with a synthetic I think the reason most probably go for it is due to the light weight factor few probably need to worry about swelling unless you live in a humid area. I recently read some stuff about swelling with sniper rifles used in Vietnam it was one reason the military switched. Before they used several different hunting rifles but it was not until later that they started refining the weapon. I have an old teacher who was a sniper in Vietnam but he doesn't like to talk about it. I like the wood on Ak rifles and liked the wood on the SKS but I went for a synthetic all black look on my AK. My AK came with Tapco stuff but I changed out a lot of stuff. My friend got himself an SKS after I told him that they were nice cheap rifles and he got his with a wood and synthetic setup. It has the synthetic on and the 30rd detachable mag it looks cool and I would like one later. I also want several things in wood as well. The wood looks nice but I don't know that I would shoot them much due to the fact I don't want them beat up. I just started my gun collection a few years back.

Started with this.
User Image

Now I have this.
User Image  

Wolf Nightshade

Tier One OPERATOR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:45 am
Too bad SKS D-Mags are about as useless as a MaTech.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:46 pm
Wolf Nightshade
Started with this.
User Image

Now I have this.
User Image
Looks like you spent a whole lot'ta money on a whole lot'ta nothing.  

Mr Savoy

Wolf Nightshade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:04 pm
Not really I got what I wanted.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:10 am
ITT: the GGE fails at understanding "aesthetics".  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Tier One OPERATOR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:34 am
Fresnel
I'll say it again, I'm pretty sure none of us has the cash to throw around on making a gun look that pretty. I think the closest was Sierra DuraCoating everything.

Hell, if I could afford an SR-25 with walnut furniture...  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:30 am
Tier One OPERATOR
Fresnel
I'll say it again, I'm pretty sure none of us has the cash to throw around on making a gun look that pretty. I think the closest was Sierra DuraCoating everything.

Hell, if I could afford an SR-25 with walnut furniture...
Money is not a subset of aesthetics, and thus is not relevant.

Also, Shrantic can totally afford to get anything duracoated. The guy who did my rifle for $40 moved out there. xd  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Wolf Nightshade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:37 am
I always wanted an AK but for the most part they all looked like s**t. I have seen few that looked all that great they were scratched up or the wood needed a lot of work. I figured I would buy the best one I could find then do what I wanted with it was something to keep me entertained. I took it apart and have added to it for fun. Later I want another but the next I plan to keep in it's wood furniture. I have seen some nice rifles online but around here I haven't found many. I plan to get a reflex site eventually and a few other things maybe just for fun. The AR15 never appealed to me much my brother went that rout I got an AK and a handgun for what he paid for his AR he never shoots. I would like an AR10 if I ever get around to it I was looking at things and recently got a Savage 110FP Tactical with some of my tax money.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:12 am
Wolf Nightshade
I always wanted an AK but for the most part they all looked like s**t. I have seen few that looked all that great they were scratched up or the wood needed a lot of work. I figured I would buy the best one I could find then do what I wanted with it was something to keep me entertained. I took it apart and have added to it for fun. Later I want another but the next I plan to keep in it's wood furniture. I have seen some nice rifles online but around here I haven't found many. I plan to get a reflex site eventually and a few other things maybe just for fun. The AR15 never appealed to me much my brother went that rout I got an AK and a handgun for what he paid for his AR he never shoots. I would like an AR10 if I ever get around to it I was looking at things and recently got a Savage 110FP Tactical with some of my tax money.

They're mass produced and hobb cobbed together mostly.

If you want something in a synthetic stock that looks good look at an AK-74 with the plumb furniture.

For an AK with wood, some stripping and a good finish is all that's needed.  

OberFeldwebel

Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces