Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)
Black candles, good or bad Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mildly-Inappropriate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:34 pm
The Unexpected Angel
ok when i go back home from school today my sister's friend's dad told me that black candle ar dangerous, true or not

Its all about what you use the candle to represent. Nothing more, nothing less. Society has put a lable on everything, like how "wicca" or being pagan is bad, you are a witch, its a bad cult, blah blah blah. It's the same thing as sex before marriage is "bad" but everyone is doing it.

Again, whatever you use the candle to represent is your decision. I love to use black candles to represent stress, when i'm taking a bath. As the candle burns away, I imagine the candle holds all my stress and the longer it burns, the less stress I have.

hope this helps- good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:43 pm
Morgandria
Well...what Wicca does with any coloured candle is oathbound

wait what does that mean??  

AnnaWolfP

Cool Vampire

16,850 Points
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:33 pm
xXAngel Wolf PrincessXx
Morgandria
Well...what Wicca does with any coloured candle is oathbound

wait what does that mean??

Wicca is an oathbound, initiatory Mystery witchcult. You can't practice, or even learn, actual Wicca until you have been made an initiate by a lineaged coven. Initiation requires a person to swear oaths, which include not revealing any information about Wicca, unless it's in a particular manner, in the proper place, and to a person who is properly prepared. Breaking these oaths carry high penalties from both coven and Gods.

So...Wiccans don't reveal oathbound information - which might include the specific uses Wicca has for particular coloured candles, or other materials.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:13 pm
Alright i understand thank you very much and Happy Yule!  

AnnaWolfP

Cool Vampire

16,850 Points
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:25 am
I use it to represent the God. It's currently the centre candle on my Yule altar.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:10 am
Azareas Aquarinus
I use it to represent the God. It's currently the centre candle on my Yule altar.

I'm curious as to why you choose to use black for the God? It's your call, obviously, since you're not on a specific path...but typically in eclectic neo-pagan witchcraft, black is ascribed to the Goddess as the colour of night, of mystery, the inward principle, the womb of the universe. The God is given a white candle, instead, as the principle of light, that which moves outward, the penetrative force. The Moon only reflects the light of the Sun. It has none of its' own - hense the black candle. Alternately, the Goddess' candle may be silver, and the God's candle gold.

Just curious.

Personally, I seldom use black candles at all, unless I'm using one for a Source candle on my altar, or I am looking to specifically represent the Lunar/Solar associations of my deities. I tend to use coloured candles on my altar that reflect the seasons and nature of my Gods at those particular times of year.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

XxCrack_OrangexX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:59 pm
From what I've heard, black candles are supposed to get rid of negative spirits. They're probably viewed as bad because black is often associated with bad things. Here's a site that explains candle colors, but on your path it doesn't have to follow this:

http://www.wicca.com/celtic/bri/cndlcolor.htm  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:50 pm
Morgandria
Azareas Aquarinus

I'm curious as to why you choose to use black for the God? It's your call, obviously, since you're not on a specific path...but typically in eclectic neo-pagan witchcraft, black is ascribed to the Goddess as the colour of night, of mystery, the inward principle, the womb of the universe. The God is given a white candle, instead, as the principle of light, that which moves outward, the penetrative force. The Moon only reflects the light of the Sun. It has none of its' own - hense the black candle. Alternately, the Goddess' candle may be silver, and the God's candle gold.

Possibly black for the Lord of Death? It wouldn't be out of place in my own practise, though I can't speak for anyone else's. Personally I use silver and gold for preference.

Quote:
Personally, I seldom use black candles at all, unless I'm using one for a Source candle on my altar, or I am looking to specifically represent the Lunar/Solar associations of my deities. I tend to use coloured candles on my altar that reflect the seasons and nature of my Gods at those particular times of year.

I've taken to having a centre candle permanently on my altar, gold from the vernal to autumnal equinox and black for the other half of the year.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

mechanical kitsy
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:11 pm
There is no good or bad, only how you perceive things to be.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:44 am
mechanical kitsy
There is no good or bad, only how you perceive things to be.
I'm not sure that's true- I think there may be a lot of grey area, but there are some things that are good and some things that are bad.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:27 am
Morgandria
Azareas Aquarinus

Just curious.

I use it because my goddess candle is white. I'm not a big fan of gold and silver. Black And White reminds me of Yin And Yang - balance. Like the goddess and god. I use yellow and red candles for air and fire symbolism on my main, non-sabbat altar.

I kind of like the idea of gold and silver. I have a silver candle. I should use gold... I don't know. I just don't like combining metallic colours. I prefer silver to gold.

I guess black reminds me of strength and masculinity. And white femininity, and creation.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:02 am
Azareas Aquarinus
Black And White reminds me of Yin And Yang - balance. Like the goddess and god.
One of the things I'm puzzling through is the idea of balance- I think balance isn't the major focus for a lot of stuff- but instead it's a lot more about complementing opposites.
What do you see as "balance"? Which god and goddess do you think have this balance and why is it important?  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:32 am
Esiris
Azareas Aquarinus
One of the things I'm puzzling through is the idea of balance- I think balance isn't the major focus for a lot of stuff- but instead it's a lot more about complementing opposites.
What do you see as "balance"? Which god and goddess do you think have this balance and why is it important?

I know. But, I like my altars to be balanced, or evened out. It's just my perfectionism. I try to avoid it, but it always overcomes things.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:51 am
Azareas Aquarinus
Esiris
Azareas Aquarinus

I know. But, I like my altars to be balanced, or evened out. It's just my perfectionism. I try to avoid it, but it always overcomes things.

Yin and yang aren't really a balance, though - it's rather two parts of a whole, a dynamic system where things are always in motion. When one force reaches its' peak, it begins to transform to the other immediately. Rarely would such things be in perfect balance. And as forces, yin is the dark coloured force, the feminine energy, associated with night, water, earth, and the moon. Yang is the bright coloured force, masculine, associated with day, fire, air, and the sun.

I understand the use of the black and white candles - it's pretty common. I use them myself, sometimes. I'm really interested, though, as to where you picked up Goddess/White and God/Black.
I'm in no way saying it's wrong - it just is generally the opposite of what most people associate with these colours. Are there particular traits your deities have that make you assign them these colours?  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:53 pm
Morgandria
Azareas Aquarinus
Esiris
Azareas Aquarinus

Yin and yang aren't really a balance, though - it's rather two parts of a whole, a dynamic system where things are always in motion. When one force reaches its' peak, it begins to transform to the other immediately. Rarely would such things be in perfect balance. And as forces, yin is the dark coloured force, the feminine energy, associated with night, water, earth, and the moon. Yang is the bright coloured force, masculine, associated with day, fire, air, and the sun.

I understand the use of the black and white candles - it's pretty common. I use them myself, sometimes. I'm really interested, though, as to where you picked up Goddess/White and God/Black.
I'm in no way saying it's wrong - it just is generally the opposite of what most people associate with these colours. Are there particular traits your deities have that make you assign them these colours?

No. There aren't any traits. It just feels right. I don't know why.  
*~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff