Welcome to Gaia! ::

Crime & Investigation Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for those interested in crime, criminology and forensic science. 

Tags: murder, criminal, forensics, serial killers, crime 

Reply Real Crime And Justice Discussion
Forensics discussions Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fallen Without Sin
Crew

Friendly Shapeshifter

8,300 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:03 am
Oh yes the Salem Witch Trials was definitely one that was screwed up, but that'll always be one of my most favorite history lessons for some reason razz The Crucible is a god play, too 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:39 pm
I see. Well, okay. What is the BEST investigative tool? It's not just things like Forensics. If it is, say blood typing, fingerprints, ect.  

Evan_or_L
Captain

Fallen Without Sin
Crew

Friendly Shapeshifter

8,300 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:49 pm
Well fingerprints are a really good thing, because like they say not everyone has the same fingerprint, so it narrows down the list. And even if the fingerprint doesn't belong to the criminal him/herself, at least they have a possible person who was at the crime scene or close to it. Blood typing is also good, but isn't always reliable.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:24 pm
Yeah, but what is the most useful technique? I just used those as examples, not as answers. What is your idea of the BEST investigative tool? If you had this it would have no doubt in people's mind that this man stole shot murdered.  

Evan_or_L
Captain

Fallen Without Sin
Crew

Friendly Shapeshifter

8,300 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:47 pm
I honestly don't know what the best technique is, I'm tied with a couple of those. But yes, witnesses are definitely not the best technique to use.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:12 pm
I see. My opinion is that the motive, combined with physical evidence, like traces of skin under nails, are the best. At first I thought video would be the best but, if they are using a mask, they can't PROVE anything.  

Evan_or_L
Captain

Annie Anthrax
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:38 am
Are we talking about a SOLO source of evidence? Or some combination?
I feel it depends entirely on the context. There is always the possibility of a miscarriage of justice no matter what evidence you have.

Also, we have to appreciate that in many cases, an eyewitness is the only source of evidence available. Forensic science is a costly thing, so it isn't always proportionate to use it in an investigation as the police have to consider the cost and so only use it for the most serious of crimes.
When it is used however, it can be open to interpretation. While in some cases it solves the case (such as the stranger murderer) in others it simply places someone at a scene with no indication of 'when'.
So someone may have a motive, may have been at the scene, but will not have been involved in the crime. Look at the Birmingham Six or the man who allegedly murdered Jill Dando.

But hmm. The BEST forensic method.
Well, there are so many. I think it'd have to be either DNA or fingerprinting. Everyone is unique, find on of these at a crime scene and it can solve a crime in one fell swoop!
Depending on the circumstances, there are some interesting alternatives, such as the study of minerals in the Earth, or insects or even pollen.
But the big boys are fingerprints and DNA.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:43 pm
Good points. I'm liking this. The one thing I don't like is the whole fingerprinting concept. For the first issue, fingerprints can't be tested for age, new look like old and vice versa. Blood, I like, because of the age, but we don't have records of EVERYBODy's blood like we do with fingerprints. Also, some suspects are people that regularly visit the crime scene before anyway. A grumpy husbands prints could have been found on the murder weapon, but if it was the husbands and a perp. used the weapon with gloves on, the husband will be blamed. It's useful, but I'd prefer other methodology.  

Evan_or_L
Captain

Annie Anthrax
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:05 am
Like in Minority Report with the psychic people who can detect crime BEFORE it happens! gonk

I am very fond of fingerprints, as it's a relatively simple science and it has a history of over a hundred years! How impressive! One of the oldest means of forensic evidence and it's still a vital tool even today. Which I think is rather impressive. :p

Although, in terms of age, one of my lecturers told us a story about how the study of insects solved a murder in ancient China.
Basically, someone had murdered a farmer, so the man sent to investigate got everyone to lay their tools on the ground. After a while, some flies settled on one of the tools (because of the blood from the murder) and the guy who owned said tool confessed.
How impressive!

If anyone is interested, I could upload my forensic science lectures.
However, they do have some VERY graphic pictures. I mean, proper dead people and such. gonk So I think I might leave them out, as they make me feel a bit ill!
But still, I do have lots of forensic wisdom to impart if anyone wants to know. :p  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:49 am
I LOVE the Minority Report! biggrin

I wouldn't post it, then, because others may not want to see it. I'd like to pm you my e-mail though, because it sounds very interesting and I'd love to read them smile And no worries, graphic pictures won't bother me razz  

Fallen Without Sin
Crew

Friendly Shapeshifter

8,300 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100

Annie Anthrax
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:50 am
Fallen Without Sin
I LOVE the Minority Report! biggrin

I wouldn't post it, then, because others may not want to see it. I'd like to pm you my e-mail though, because it sounds very interesting and I'd love to read them smile And no worries, graphic pictures won't bother me razz

They sure bother me! There's one guy with no face! gonk Such is the graphic and alarming face of death! If it's something you are really interested in, check out a rather thick book called Practical Homicide Investigation, written by a very good detective from America.
He covers pretty much everything you need for any situation, to-do lists at a scene of a crime, things to look out for, the different MOs for different sorts of deaths and lots and lots of very graphic pictures. burning_eyes
But that's the nature of the work we are attracted to. It's 'the' book on the subject I understand. They had a few copies in the university library and when I fancied myself as the 'great detective' I had a read of some of it. But never again! talk2hand

But anyway!
What I was also offering was, I'd just leave the pictures out and upload the written notes. It'd help me revise and there's lots of interesting stuff in there about the forensic investigation of murder! Like why rigor mortis isn't a good way to establish time of death, for instance.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:27 pm
OOOOOOOHHHHH, I better check that one out. biggrin xd 3nodding . By the way have you heard of Criminal Profiling, by Brent Turvey? it's a textbook that goes over the scientific method of criminal investigation. It also has some graphic crime photos. The only thing that bothers me is the nudity. I just scribbled it out with the sharpie. As for the lectures, that would be amazing!!! I love learning more about catching criminals (Especially serial murderers, not to be confused with mass murderers.) razz  

Evan_or_L
Captain

Annie Anthrax
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:03 pm
I am afraid I have not, I'm not as well read as I like to pretend I am. :p
Which is really my fault, if I claim to be as dedicated to crime and it's detection I probably should read these things.

There's a great deal of nude pictures in this book, just to fore-warn you. Along with a great many other upsetting things! neutral

And I'll make a little topic tomorrow and start uploading my notes. Sorted! biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:49 pm
Hmmmm I hope we have that book in our library, that would help me expand my knowledge of forensics and such, it's real small right now sweatdrop Sweet! Can't wait to see the notes biggrin  

Fallen Without Sin
Crew

Friendly Shapeshifter

8,300 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100

Evan_or_L
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:46 pm
"I wonder when I can begin my detective education? I can read books but what about interns."  
Real Crime And Justice Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff