Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Common Room~* (chatterbox, life, socializing)
what do you think about other religions Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

IileyahWithTheStars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:36 am
As long as they don't try to shove their beliefs down my throat, I don't mind. And I'll have religious discussions with friends, just not my family.. My parents are Christian, so they jump on my butt about things, well, my dad anyways. But yeah. I'm pretty tolerant of it.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:14 pm
Jehovas witnesses came to my door yesterday. They saw my pentagram and called: Devil worshipper! yadda yadda yadda. I told them to go bug someone else. They said "You'll burn in hell for eternity". BS. I closed the door in their faces.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:46 pm
Azareas Aquarinus
Jehovas witnesses came to my door yesterday. They saw my pentagram and called: Devil worshipper! yadda yadda yadda. I told them to go bug someone else. They said "You'll burn in hell for eternity". BS. I closed the door in their faces.

Huh. None of the JWs that have come to my place have ever been that rude. You should call the local Hall and explain how unkind they were.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:31 pm
I personally love religion in general, and I love discussion and debate about it. I have read a bit of the bible, and I'd love to read some of the qua'ran as well.
A very close friend of mine has parents both of which are Anglican reverads. I have had a few discssions with her dad, it's pretty interesting.
Religious extremists have always been of interest to me, as well. But I like anything controversial, it's a dirty little hobby of mine, studying the controversial of politics, religion, and etc.

I dislike people shoving it on others, but it has never bothered me personally. I always find it interesting at how they try and convert me.

I have no blanket dislike for any one religion, although I must admit I find pretty much any joke on religion funny, no matter how curelly intolerant. :/  

SADERR

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:45 am
Azareas Aquarinus
The brother of my boyfriend said exactly the same. But he just said it in a normal tone. I replied that it's my own choice, and he was alright with that. surprised  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:16 am
Esiris
Azareas Aquarinus

Huh. None of the JWs that have come to my place have ever been that rude. You should call the local Hall and explain how unkind they were.

The hall's just across the road from where I live. So I think I will.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:18 am
Dianda Panda
Azareas Aquarinus
The brother of my boyfriend said exactly the same. But he just said it in a normal tone. I replied that it's my own choice, and he was alright with that. surprised

They seemed quite young. In their 20s. So maybe they were inexperienced.

If it's true that if they don't go to people's homes, that they'll go to hell? (The witnesses)

I mean, isn't that forcing religion up on people? By creating fear just so they can force beliefs.

For example: You'll go to hell if you don't spread God's word!

It's like controlling people. Or am I wrong? 'Cause that's how I see it.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:24 am
Azareas Aquarinus

I don't see it that way- it's more like people who tell you "Buckle up or you'll die!" Well- you won't die if you don't buckle up- but they think your chances are pretty good so they try and warn you.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:09 pm
Esiris
Azareas Aquarinus

I don't see it that way- it's more like people who tell you "Buckle up or you'll die!" Well- you won't die if you don't buckle up- but they think your chances are pretty good so they try and warn you.

Oh, right. They're basically telling you to start making a better life.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:20 pm
The only religion I have a problem with is Scientology, and that's because they hunt down people who leave the religion and either blackmail them or make them disappear.

Creepy.

But in any case, most religions have that fear aspect of, "If you don't believe in this, you'll be punished," in some way. Telling someone who is of another religion that they'll go to hell or some such place if they don't follow the "right" religion is a way of controlling them. It's fearmongering and hateful. But that's individual people using their religion as a means of controlling others, not the general populous of the religion. Most Catholics I know don't care what beliefs you'll follow, but I did have a Baptist friend tell me that she believes I'm going to hell because that's just how it is for her. So I can see where you're coming from, Esiris, with your "buckle up or die" argument. There are several ways to look at everything.  

Scorpy-Sue

Distinct Conversationalist

6,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:20 am
Scientology fails the ABCDEF. In particular:

Wealth: Amount of money and/or property desired or obtained by group; emphasis on members’ donations; economic lifestyle of leader(s) compared to ordinary members.

Isolation: Amount of effort to keep members from communicating with non-members, including family, friends and lovers.

Paranoia: Amount of fear concerning real or imagined enemies; exaggeration of perceived power of opponents; prevalence of conspiracy theories.

Grimness: Amount of disapproval concerning jokes about the group, its doctrines or its leader(s).

The way they sue apparently everyone who looks at them funny, force members to break contact with family members, make members sign over power of attorney and/or medical proxy (I forget which it is tbh) and refuse to let members take psychiatric drugs... I see no reason to treat this organisation as if it were a church or a religion. It is a cult, by the "dangerous" definition of the term.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:00 am
Azareas Aquarinus

If it's true that if they don't go to people's homes, that they'll go to hell? (The witnesses)

I mean, isn't that forcing religion up on people? By creating fear just so they can force beliefs.

I believe that part of their doctrine is that they be Witnesses for Christ. So by going door to door witnessing they are doing exactly what they believe Christ wants them to do. And if you're doing what Christ wants you'll get into heaven. Not necessarily that you won't get into heaven if you don't just that you have a guaranteed spot if you do.

I may be wrong, but that's the way it was explained to me years ago by a JW.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:14 am
Azareas Aquarinus
Dianda Panda
Azareas Aquarinus

I have met an elderly woman, and she was a jehova. She was really nice and friendly, and really open. She explained me what Jehova exactly was, gave me a flyer with information on it, and wished me a good day before she continued.

What I'm saying is, is that not all Jehova people are the same, just like Christians.

From what I understood from the brother of my boyfriend, is that it's their task to make as much people a Christian as possible. In their eyes they want to save the world. Because one day, God will come down on earth and send everyone who does not believe to hell. He told me that no one deserves that.

But to him, being a Christian is more than believing with God. It's more like having a relationship with God, feel his presence. etc etc etc.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:02 am
Dianda Panda
Azareas Aquarinus
Dianda Panda
Azareas Aquarinus

I have met an elderly woman, and she was a jehova. She was really nice and friendly, and really open. She explained me what Jehova exactly was, gave me a flyer with information on it, and wished me a good day before she continued.

What I'm saying is, is that not all Jehova people are the same, just like Christians.

From what I understood from the brother of my boyfriend, is that it's their task to make as much people a Christian as possible. In their eyes they want to save the world. Because one day, God will come down on earth and send everyone who does not believe to hell. He told me that no one deserves that.

But to him, being a Christian is more than believing with God. It's more like having a relationship with God, feel his presence. etc etc etc.

I know a few accepting Christians. And I know they're not all the same.

And I can agree with spreading God's word. It's like helping him.

If we do end up in Hell, that's that. But I don't believe in its existence. I believe in the Underworld, and the other world of course (The Spirit Realm).  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:28 am
Azareas Aquarinus
Dianda Panda
Azareas Aquarinus
Dianda Panda
Azareas Aquarinus

I know a few accepting Christians. And I know they're not all the same.

And I can agree with spreading God's word. It's like helping him.

If we do end up in Hell, that's that. But I don't believe in its existence. I believe in the Underworld, and the other world of course (The Spirit Realm).
I don't believe in hell either.  
*~Common Room~* (chatterbox, life, socializing)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games