Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Maddness91

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:32 am
Fresnel
Maddness91
ok well he got a 4-1 vote in favor of getting compensation from the compensation board, and they aren;t in the business of giving away free money to people who don;t deserve it... the only nay vote was in favor of giving him MORE... so idk what else i can say that i haven;t already said...

i can see how you can be mad at someone doing something wrong and having an accident, but i can;t see how u can disagree with compensating a person for an accident, when he had workplace accident insurance...
Suicide denies life insurance claims.
completely unrelated program that has alot of variables based on individual programs but ok i agree...? confused arson AND accidental fires don't deny house insurance? car insurance still pays if u slam into a tree? i don;t see where your going with this one... all ur other points have been smart but this just seems like a grab for air so far to be honest

anyways forgetting most of the rest of the legal argument which has ground into a standstill based on interpretation by a bunch of teenagers sitting in their bedrooms (me xp )...
how are you so damn sure he did it to himself and it wasn;t just an accident? yes he was alone and his gun shot into his hand, but how are you so sure that it wasn;t just an accident? lots of people shoot themselves by accident (yes admittedly most of those people are not following basic safety rules, but then again some are, and crazy things just happen)
and it seems to me that $100k is a) not that much of a bonus when compared to a cops salary b) going to get eaten away by medical bills fairly fast (tissue repair surgery, nerve deadening surgery, rehab, etc) and c) is prolly going to be "made back" more or less with a slight lowering of his pension ($14/day [$420/month] over 20 years sounds a bit much, but something is prolly going to get shaved down a bit).......... idk, just seems that it;s not that big of a social upheaval or outrage to compensate a guy who got hurt when he has workman's comp when you don;t have much of a reason for him to do it himself (arguably apparently)... maybe that;s to Canadian of me xp  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:15 pm
Maddness91
Fresnel
Maddness91
ok well he got a 4-1 vote in favor of getting compensation from the compensation board, and they aren;t in the business of giving away free money to people who don;t deserve it... the only nay vote was in favor of giving him MORE... so idk what else i can say that i haven;t already said...

i can see how you can be mad at someone doing something wrong and having an accident, but i can;t see how u can disagree with compensating a person for an accident, when he had workplace accident insurance...
Suicide denies life insurance claims.
completely unrelated program that has alot of variables based on individual programs but ok i agree...? confused arson AND accidental fires don't deny house insurance? car insurance still pays if u slam into a tree? i don;t see where your going with this one... all ur other points have been smart but this just seems like a grab for air so far to be honest
Does fire insurance pay if you were retarded enough to be using a flamethrower in your living room? Does car insurance pay if you were drunk?

Quote:
anyways forgetting most of the rest of the legal argument which has ground into a standstill based on interpretation by a bunch of teenagers sitting in their bedrooms (me xp )...
how are you so damn sure he did it to himself and it wasn;t just an accident? yes he was alone and his gun shot into his hand, but how are you so sure that it wasn;t just an accident? lots of people shoot themselves by accident (yes admittedly most of those people are not following basic safety rules, but then again some are, and crazy things just happen)
I believe it was an accident, but accident is relative. "I blew a tire, swerved off the road, and flipped in a ditch" is an accident. "I was drag racing someone on the street, tried to cop-ram him, and swerved off the road" is retardation that lead to getting hurt. The only time you should ever get hurt WHILE following the safety rules is if you had a heart attack, or a stroke, or a seizure, or something else horrible, while holding the gun, and it was no longer in your control for reasons beyond your... for lack of a better word, control. "The gun just went off and shot me in the foot!" or, more commonly, "I swear it wasn't loaded!" is not following safety rules.
Quote:
and it seems to me that $100k is a) not that much of a bonus when compared to a cops salary
Cops make about 27k/year, at least in my area (13.25/hour). That's four years of salary, PLUS his pension, all untaxable.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Maddness91

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:40 pm
Fresnel
Quote:
and it seems to me that $100k is a) not that much of a bonus when compared to a cops salary
Cops make about 27k/year, at least in my area (13.25/hour). That's four years of salary, PLUS his pension, all untaxable.
wow ur cops get paid s**t... no wonder they suck... ours make $56k average for provincial police, RCMP officers make around $66k after 2 years and after around 4 years they make $72k...
and ok, $100k -medical bills -time off work makes it have a real value of what? $50k? less? idk... doesn;t seem like a huge bonus to me confused  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:24 pm
Quote:
Quote:
I believe it was an accident, but accident is relative. "I blew a tire, swerved off the road, and flipped in a ditch" is an accident. "I was drag racing someone on the street, tried to cop-ram him, and swerved off the road" is retardation that lead to getting hurt. The only time you should ever get hurt WHILE following the safety rules is if you had a heart attack, or a stroke, or a seizure, or something else horrible, while holding the gun, and it was no longer in your control for reasons beyond your... for lack of a better word, control. "The gun just went off and shot me in the foot!" or, more commonly, "I swear it wasn't loaded!" is not following safety rules.

I'm still waiting for this to be answered.  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:25 am
Maddness91
Fresnel
Quote:
wow ur cops get paid s**t... no wonder they suck... ours make $56k average for provincial police, RCMP officers make around $66k after 2 years and after around 4 years they make $72k...
My bad, $19.05/hr, not $13.25. That's $38k/yr.
Quote:
and ok, $100k -medical bills -time off work makes it have a real value of what? $50k? less? idk... doesn;t seem like a huge bonus to me confused
Time off work doesn't matter, his pension takes care of that, which he will get for the rest of his life, for doing NOTHING AT ALL. This man could sit on his a** all day and pull in 56k a year, untaxable.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:26 am
Fresnel
Time off work doesn't matter, his pension takes care of that, which he will get for the rest of his life, for doing NOTHING AT ALL. This man could sit on his a** all day and pull in 56k a year, untaxable.
he doesn;t have a pension yet... it;s still up for review even... it;s not like he was retiring that week or something... so he;s going to miss a decent amount of real time work...

and ok, that;s a better living wage xd 27k is nearing poverty xp still not a very good wage tho

@ rabble: there's no real question... we have different opinions about what an accident in the workplace is based on bias and interpretation of workman's comp... as i've said, he got a 5/0 vote in favor of giving him the compensation (4-1 on amount) by the board of WC, and it;s going to the state board to become official... so whenever you find the story on the state's decision we can be more sure of what WC compensates for... if they vote yes, then (hopefully) we can be sure they made the correct legal choice based on evidence and correct legal interpretation... if they vote no, then i'll concede that apparently getting shot in the hand apparently doesn;t fall into WC program... but so far i'm betting on them voting yes because of the opinions i have stated so far, and my belief of if you get hurt while doing your job, you should be compensated...  

Maddness91

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:16 pm
Maddness91
Fresnel
he doesn;t have a pension yet... it;s still up for review even... it;s not like he was retiring that week or something... so he;s going to miss a decent amount of real time work...

and ok, that;s a better living wage xd 27k is nearing poverty xp still not a very good wage tho
Watch, they'll give him a purple heart or someshit for being wounded in the line of duty.... rolleyes

That's the minimum pay listed on the job posting my local PD posted for a patrol officer. I bet it goes up after a year or two, but I wouldn't bet it breaks $23/hour.

Quote:
but so far i'm betting on them voting yes because of the opinions i have stated so far, and my belief of if you get hurt while doing your job, you should be compensated...
I'm just saying, if YOU break safety rules (which he obviously did, because he shot himself in the hand), YOU are responsible for everything that comes of it, not the taxpayers. If an EMT responded to a call with his lights and sirens off and got broadsided while running a red light, I'd not give him worker's comp either, and I'd probably dock his pay for the cost of a new ambulance (or repairs) over the course of the next couple years if I didn't just fire him outright. My friend who slipped and fell in a McDonald's freezer, cold-cocked himself on a shelf, lay there on the floor for 20 minutes, and was found near-hypothermic... HE needed WC (but didn't get it. ******** McDonald's). Total act of god there. He wasn't doing backflips off the top shelf.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:40 pm
Fresnel
Maddness91
Fresnel

Watch, they'll give him a purple heart or someshit for being wounded in the line of duty.... rolleyes

That's the minimum pay listed on the job posting my local PD posted for a patrol officer. I bet it goes up after a year or two, but I wouldn't bet it breaks $23/hour.

Quote:
but so far i'm betting on them voting yes because of the opinions i have stated so far, and my belief of if you get hurt while doing your job, you should be compensated...
I'm just saying, if YOU break safety rules (which he obviously did, because he shot himself in the hand), YOU are responsible for everything that comes of it, not the taxpayers. If an EMT responded to a call with his lights and sirens off and got broadsided while running a red light, I'd not give him worker's comp either, and I'd probably dock his pay for the cost of a new ambulance (or repairs) over the course of the next couple years if I didn't just fire him outright. My friend who slipped and fell in a McDonald's freezer, cold-cocked himself on a shelf, lay there on the floor for 20 minutes, and was found near-hypothermic... HE needed WC (but didn't get it. ******** McDonald's). Total act of god there. He wasn't doing backflips off the top shelf.
yeah Mc'D's doesn;t have a union to fight for WC... he should have sued McD's for negligence and improper safety floors (i know it sounds strange, i can;t think of the right word right now for what i'm thinking xp )...

and it;s not taxpayer money tho, it;s what the company (in this case the city) pays into insurance... yes they do it differently, and instead of buying insurance from state farm or w/e, they just make there own fund, because i assume all the city employers pay into the same thing per person, and that's alot of people, so it's economical for them to do that
so the money was already "gone" from the city, and therefor isn;t tax payer money anymore... like u can argue that the city "shouldn't have been spending so much on insurance" but that;s a messed up fight to be in... the city basically has to pay for insurance or who would want to work for them?

would you have cared as strongly is they had been buying insurance for the same price i.e. paid $4.8M to state farm over the years, and state farm had to pick up the tab? prolly not amiright?  

Maddness91

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:43 pm
Maddness91
Fresnel
Maddness91
Fresnel

Quote:
yeah Mc'D's doesn;t have a union to fight for WC... he should have sued McD's for negligence and improper safety floors (i know it sounds strange, i can;t think of the right word right now for what i'm thinking xp )...

and it;s not taxpayer money tho, it;s what the company (in this case the city) pays into insurance... yes they do it differently, and instead of buying insurance from state farm or w/e, they just make there own fund, because i assume all the city employers pay into the same thing per person, and that's alot of people, so it's economical for them to do that
so the money was already "gone" from the city, and therefor isn;t tax payer money anymore... like u can argue that the city "shouldn't have been spending so much on insurance" but that;s a messed up fight to be in... the city basically has to pay for insurance or who would want to work for them?

would you have cared as strongly is they had been buying insurance for the same price i.e. paid $4.8M to state farm over the years, and state farm had to pick up the tab? prolly not amiright?
He should have, and would have won, but he's a pushover, and got stuck with the medical bills for an ambulance ride he refused, and they forced him into.

State Farm would have denied the claim, just like they deny glass repair claims if you were tailgating. After the words "I shot myself-", the agent would have laughed him off the phone.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:15 pm
Orkronos
*munches on popcorn*
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed,
but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance...

... In Switzerland they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years
of democracy and peace, what did they produce? The cuckoo clock.

Kuuhaku-shou

Benevolent Prophet

8,800 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Accounting Whiz 500
  • Millionaire 200

Maddness91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:24 pm
Fresnel
State Farm would have denied the claim, just like they deny glass repair claims if you were tailgating. After the words "I shot myself-", the agent would have laughed him off the phone.
... k let me rephrase...
would you have cared as strongly is they had been buying insurance for the same price i.e. paid $4.8M to state farm over the years, and state farm accepted the claim for compensation (just like the city fund did) and had to pick up the tab? prolly not amiright?

and instantly saying they would deny coverage is really not a good sign of how ur insurance systems are setup xp  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:37 pm
Maddness91
Fresnel
... k let me rephrase...
would you have cared as strongly is they had been buying insurance for the same price i.e. paid $4.8M to state farm over the years, and state farm accepted the claim for compensation (just like the city fund did) and had to pick up the tab? prolly not amiright?

and instantly saying they would deny coverage is really not a good sign of how ur insurance systems are setup xp
I probably would, just because someone who broke every gun safety rule after thirty-plus years of carrying a gun every day, shot himself in the hand and got paid a hundred thousand dollars. That's on par with the dude who B&E'd some other guy's house, hurt himself doing it, and won a lawsuit against the homeowner.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Maddness91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:27 pm
Fresnel
Maddness91
Fresnel
... k let me rephrase...

I probably would, just because someone who broke every gun safety rule after thirty-plus years of carrying a gun every day, shot himself in the hand and got paid a hundred thousand dollars. That's on par with the dude who B&E'd some other guy's house, hurt himself doing it, and won a lawsuit against the homeowner.
yeah that;s happened alot of times xd it;s messed up... this is why i like states with castle laws xp  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff