Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
How Not to Cause Drama! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sith Faced

Spacey Nymph

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:05 am
Just be smart about it. Conventions are expensive and cosplaying is a hobby a lot of people got into to have fun, so don't let all your hard work go to waste because you made the mistake of taking someone who isn't on the same page as you.
You need to trust the people you're staying with as well, so if you're staying in a hotel room with your friends, make sure you guys all trust each other enough so if something does come up, you can handle things accordingly.  
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:45 am
I find having backup in your group can really cut the drama in half. My bro is my backup, so when I take my attention addicted friend to a place where you have to bounce off the walls to get attention when not in costume, I have him to help me get her off the ceiling.

nadaniasang

l337squerrel

IRL Stalker

10,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:10 am
If your gonna start drama, make sure you know how to run away from them without getting caught.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:48 am
Do your best to obey rules (I understand some rules are dumb and some staff can be pissy, but at least try).
If you get into an argument with someone and it starts getting heated, be the bigger person: walk away. If they insist on bothering you, tell staff.  

Maruul

Baret Rapsba

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:02 am
Also if you are older and taking teenage friends or what not, make sure they understand they have to listen to you and follow the rules before you leave. If not they will run around and it will be a mess.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:17 am
Make sure everyone in your group is included and/or has a say in what you guys are going to do. Remember common curtesy and BE NICE to your group members. Ignoring a person is not nice and will lead to really awkward situations that can develop into major con drama.  

Veretix

8,750 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100

hirochan28

5,700 Points
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:32 pm
If you're organizing a trip to a con, don;t be too overly controlling about stuff. Leave some room for a change in plans, if possible, cause not everyone wants to see the same stuff, and a lot of times signings and things like that can run overtime.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:31 am
who the hell causes drama at an anime con? You guys are teh crazy. I go to a con to have a good time, watch some anime, eat some food, dance, and hit on hawt babes, where is the drama there?  

Doom27

The Lone Wolf Jedi

3,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:38 am
Doom27
who the hell causes drama at an anime con? You guys are teh crazy. I go to a con to have a good time, watch some anime, eat some food, dance, and hit on hawt babes, where is the drama there?

You'd be surprised at how many people go to these things just to cause drama and make other people's lives miserable, those are what we call assholes  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:40 am
Normally there's no drama happening during the cons I go to, the drama is normally right after or right before, and it normally happens in 4chan <.<

Although drame DOES happen during the cons sometimes... a group of martial artists almost jumped one of the assistants for some reason o-O  

SakuraRico

Doom27

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:45 am
The Lone Wolf Jedi
Doom27

You'd be surprised at how many people go to these things just to cause drama and make other people's lives miserable, those are what we call assholes

wow thats super lame. I'd slap a fool! (or should i say... BAKA!)

What kind of snaz do they dp? I can't really picture it, like go and bash on peoples cosplays, or try to sleep with their friends significant others?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:36 am
Well, some do it on purpose, like being a total snot to everyone they meet, openly bashing people's cosplay, loudly insulting a series and its fans, and basically just trying to make trouble and ruin the fun.
Others do it unintentionally, like being overly friendly and not taking a hint when someone doesn't like them (or at least not that much), disregarding rules, or being a snot to everyone, only this time it's just how they are without trying. razz

Of course there's also drama within groups, like someone has a fight, or there was a misunderstanding with who's paying how much for what, or someone feels neglected, or someone goofed up and forgot something important.  

Maruul

Hisokas_baby

Fashionable Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:21 pm
No_Pun_Intended
If the character you're cosplaying is a total jerk and you're acting in character, make sure people realize that you're in character and you don't really act like that. ^^

This.
There have been many times where I've seen people get offended by some cosplayers because of their attitude. Even if you're trying to be in character, you must be careful about what you say. It's one thing to act casually and say whatever you want to a close acquaintance or friend, but don't take it too far with other con goers. Remember, you're still a person like all the rest of us, not an anime/video game character.

Other people in the thread have already mentioned a bit about this, but make sure you're on the same page with everyone in your group, especially the ones you'll be rooming with/traveling with the most.
Try to take a second to look at the schedule before the con and tell each other what panels/events you're thinking about attending. Maybe briefly mention any meet up or photoshoot plans you have during the convention.
I can assure you that everyone is gonna want to be somewhere different at some point. Don't be offended if they don't want to go to the same event as you. And don't try to make everyone else happy if there's an event you really want to go to. I know there have been times I regretted not making it to a panel or booth because I was trying to make my friends happy. A con is for everyone's enjoyment, so your buddies must understand that. :]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:24 pm
Good advice from everyone. Hinokas_Baby, I believe I'll take your advice to heart: this is why man invented cell phones. xD Make sure you've got the volume up all the way, if someone wants to go separate ways and check something else out, then make sure they've got your number and set up a place to meet at later!

This is pretty much all my advice. Well, other than simply rooming with people you know you get along with, and if there's a problem with a roommate, see if someone wants to switch (unless there's only 3 or 4 people going... might as well stay in the same room then).

Other than that, there's not much else I can say. lol.  

Halekyn Steel

Magnetic Sex Symbol

7,000 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200

jyrotika

5,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:08 pm
Make sure the people you are going with have brought money and plan on saving some for food! (Warning: This IS going to degenerate into a rant T-T" )

This last con I went to, I spent EPIC amounts of money on food because I was ordering for myself and 3+ others. One girl had the sense of mind to hand me a $20 at the beginning of the weekend (since I ordered all her food for the whole weekend), and I got various few dollars from almost everyone else, but 2 of the people never handed me anything. For the one, I understood because she didn't have ANY money with her. The other- he's a jerk-- kept trying to bum money off me and the other congoers for stuff from the dealers room and artists' alley. And mostly succeeded too scream . Not only that, but HE HAD MONEY TO BEGIN WITH. I spent- EASILY- $100+ on food. Lucky for me, I was handed about $34, but still- I don't eat $66 worth of food by myself! The pizzas I got were 14-slice pies, and the whole weekend I never took more than 5 slices total! (out of 5 whole pizzas sad ) Next time- screw it, I feed ME. *obstinate arm-folding gesture with accentuated head toss*

Oh, and also, watch out for irresponsible jerks that spend their money on unimportant crap, all the while begging around for more. I find it entertaining that our irresponsible jerk lost his $40 pair of pants while at the convention. Thank you, karma smile

Also, watch out for irresponsible jerks that run off without telling you. One of the more recent cons I went to, our group "lost" this girl. She left her cell phone in the room, and disappeared 15 minutes into the rave. ALL her friends, and all THEIR friends, and a bunch of staff were on the lookout for her, all thinking she was abducted. Actually, she had wandered away with this guy. We didn't find out for 8 HOURS. Her friends were crying, nervous wrecks, and had she been more responsible, at least one of them should have been told where she was going. It didn't help that this was at "Tornadocon", so the confusion with the fire alarm and the tornado made it all but impossible to search for her.  
Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff