Welcome to Gaia! ::

Japanese Academy

Back to Guilds

A virtual classroom where beginners can learn to read and write Japanese. New students welcome! 

Tags: Japanese, Academy, Japan, Learn, School 

Reply Japanese Kana and Kanji Lessons
KANA/KANJI Lesson One - Meet Hiragana. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Danshoku Kotonii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:28 pm
Sensei!

How do we write sentences in hirigana?

How do we differentiate between words without using spaces?
D:  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:44 pm
How long do you think it will take until I can read all 3 of the alphabets fluently? I just started.  

I Am EarthBound

Dedicated Smoker

12,100 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Kai Shi
Crew

7,850 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:56 pm
Kim Vana
How long do you think it will take until I can read all 3 of the alphabets fluently? I just started.

Hiragana and katakana aren't too difficult. If you worked hard you could probably have them down in a week or two (or more, depends how well you can memorize things).

Kanji takes considerably longer because there's around 2000 daily use ones. And most of those have more than one reading.

(A quick easy example of this:
All alone this kanji reads:
月 つき tsuki = moon
But if I put it with one of the numbers 1-12...:
一月 いちがつ ichigatsu = January

So as you can see even though its the same kanji 月, it has two different readings and meanings.)

There are some with more than two (in fact 月 has a number more as well). This makes kanji more difficult than just memorizing the kanji, you also need to be able to learn them contextually.

So in answer to your question...It's up to you really! Personally I'm absolutely nowhere near having Kanji memorized. It's going to take me years because I'm not the most steady of studiers.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:16 am
Danshoku Kotonii
Sensei!

How do we write sentences in hirigana?

How do we differentiate between words without using spaces?
D:

Differentiating between words is something you learn with practice. IfIleaveallthespacesoutofanEnglishsentenceyoucanstillfigureoutwhatitsays.

The more kanji you learn, the easier it will become to read individual words. Start by mastering all of the kanji I've provided, and make sure that you have the hiragana alphabet down.  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

I Am EarthBound

Dedicated Smoker

12,100 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:32 pm
Is kanji in video games too?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:58 pm
Kim Vana

Depends on the video game and the age its aimed at. I bought pokemon diamond in Japanese (yeah, yeah... redface ) and its totally in hiragana. Which I find insane. Not to mention that figuring out the attacks is near impossible because often, like in the English version, the attacks are some wort of contraction or pun like way of saying it.

Other games might have some more common kanji or others still totally in kanji. I wouldn't expect anything other than kids games to be in hiragana though.  

Kai Shi
Crew

7,850 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:00 pm
Kai Shi
Kim Vana

Depends on the video game and the age its aimed at. I bought pokemon diamond in Japanese (yeah, yeah... redface ) and its totally in hiragana. Which I find insane. Not to mention that figuring out the attacks is near impossible because often, like in the English version, the attacks are some wort of contraction or pun like way of saying it.

Other games might have some more common kanji or others still totally in kanji. I wouldn't expect anything other than kids games to be in hiragana though.

*cough cough* Nerd.... razz

... although I did buy Naruto: Clash of Ninja in Japanese, and it's full kanji. Which leaves Starry Starry Fright staring at the dialogue screens while helplessly tracing kanji onto an IME pad.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:49 am
Kai Shi
Kim Vana

What about games like the Mother series? Would those games have kanji?  

I Am EarthBound

Dedicated Smoker

12,100 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Kai Shi
Crew

7,850 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:45 am
Kim Vana
Kai Shi
Kim Vana

Not too sure. Is this the game you're talking about? If so, its all hiragana and katakana.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq30wnQFo9I  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:14 pm
Kai Shi
Kim Vana
Kai Shi
Kim Vana

Not too sure. Is this the game you're talking about? If so, its all hiragana and katakana.
]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq30wnQFo9I

Sorta that's the remake I'm talking about these games: Mother,,Mother 3  

I Am EarthBound

Dedicated Smoker

12,100 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Kai Shi
Crew

7,850 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:23 pm
Kim Vana
Kai Shi
Kim Vana
Kai Shi
Kim Vana

Did a little hunting for clips on youtube and it looks like its all hiragana and katakana for both of those as well.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:31 pm
Kai Shi
Kim Vana
Kai Shi
Kim Vana
Kai Shi
Kim Vana

Did a little hunting for clips on youtube and it looks like its all hiragana and katakana for both of those as well.
Thank you the reason i wanted to know is because I want to impress my friends and parents by playing a game they won't understand.  

I Am EarthBound

Dedicated Smoker

12,100 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Kai Shi
Crew

7,850 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:32 pm
Kim Vana
Kai Shi
Kim Vana
Kai Shi
Kim Vana

Thank you the reason i wanted to know is because I want to impress my friends and parents by playing a game they won't understand.

Good luck~ Enjoy yourself  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:51 pm
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi
Kim Vana

... although I did buy Naruto: Clash of Ninja in Japanese, and it's full kanji. Which leaves Starry Starry Fright staring at the dialogue screens while helplessly tracing kanji onto an IME pad.

xDD
I got that game in Japanese too!
I just press random buttons until it lets me fight. ^^;  

Danshoku Kotonii

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:07 pm
Danshoku Kotonii
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi
Kim Vana

xDD
I got that game in Japanese too!
I just press random buttons until it lets me fight. ^^;

Haha yeah, I usually just select "はい" until I get to a fight screen. I'm an impatient person sometimes.

My dad got me a Naruto RPG game a while back that was completely in Japanese, and it was impossible to play. I couldn't read the dialogue telling me what to do... razz  
Japanese Kana and Kanji Lessons

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff