Welcome to Gaia! ::

Japanese Academy

Back to Guilds

A virtual classroom where beginners can learn to read and write Japanese. New students welcome! 

Tags: Japanese, Academy, Japan, Learn, School 

Reply Japanese Academy
Japanese in the Education System Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

flightyPrick

4,400 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:19 pm
Starry Starry Fright
Cascade-kun
Starry Starry Fright
You guys have to take a second language? Seriously? Is this standard all across the country? I didn't know that. Since French is one of the official languages, Canadian kids are required to take French from grades 4-6 and then that's it.

Chinese would be kinda cool. My school's only language options are French, Spanish and Japanese. At my university though, there are a TON of languages. If I wasn`t a science major I would take Swahili.

Here in texas we have to take 2 years of foreign language to graduate, so could be everywhere. (je parler le francais, that being what I had to take.) (mais j'aime le francais~) My school doesn't offer Japanese as a class D< (texas fml).

Funny thing is, I'm an Acadian, and I speak almost no French. My ancestors would be disgusted. razz

Canada teaches Japanese just about everywhere now, it seems. Our Asian population is massive compared to yours though, so I suppose it makes sense.

University of Texas probably offers Japanese though.

(*contemplates moving to Canada*)

Myah, I'm not going to any university in America. (bleh) I'm going to a university in Hokkaido (I've yet to decide which university) and major in Japanese there and settle down as well.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:15 pm
so far i already took a Spanish class to graduated my high school. SO far only thing i have little trouble in Japanese is the hiragana.  

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250

Kai Shi
Crew

7,850 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:19 pm
I took Japanese back in high school, I think 2 of the 3 high schools in my city offered it. I'd have to admit though, I didn't really get a lot out of it. My teacher was a total pushover and we spent most classes watching movies or anime with subtitles or dubbed. I really didn't learn much other than a bit of vocab and hiragana. We learned katakana too but I don't think I really nailed that down until university. So, yes. 3 years of high school Japanese taught me pretty much nothing. Of course this is all quite a while ago now (Kai is oooollllldddd compared to all you young whippersnappers lol Well not -that- old...) The other high school was a little more intensive I think.

My uni had something similar to Starry's in that if you had taken Japanese 30 you had to take Japanese 150 rather than 101 and 102. I saw this as both good and bad. Good because we were a little more advanced and didn't really need to learn hiragana all over again. Bad in that there was a lot of people with varying levels coming in. At least with 101 everyone would be on a level playing field.

And then after that I decided to go abroad, spent a year at Hokkaido University in Sapporo (fantabulous). I got to take a good amount of classes there and it was also a little more of a shock to the system as once you got past the intro levels (Perspective wise, when I got there I had to take a placement test. It was terrible. It was eye-opening. I learned just how little I actually knew. They placed me in their beginner 2 level, I looked at their textbooks and requested to be placed in beginner 3. I also took beginner kanji 1 since though I had learned some Kanji before I didn't remember it well at all. I also signed up to take an oral communication class that was just terrible. The ability differences in the students and a hard headed teacher made the class supremely unpleasant.) you were taught Japanese in Japanese. This was shocking. At first there was more english then as you adjusted to the classroom and the vocab they started teaching more in Japanese. It was interesting. I learned a lot in Japan, not just about Japanese. I probably could have done better on the Japanese had I immersed myself more but I ended up making a group of friends with other international students and we spoke English. So yep. Not as good as it could have been.

Then once I came home I had to take yet another placement test. Joy. This involved a short little conversation and reading a passage and a little writing test. They placed me at Japanese 302. (So I "skipped"/got credit for 3 classes worth of Japanese while I was in Japan). And that happens to be the last class I took formally confused I would have liked to continue but one of the last few classes I needed to take conflicted with the next class. And then I graduated (/am still waiting to convocate...).

Wow. I blabbered on about nothing for a good while there... redface

PS I'm back from vacation~! Hiiiiii~  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:09 pm
Kai Shi
I took Japanese back in high school, I think 2 of the 3 high schools in my city offered it. I'd have to admit though, I didn't really get a lot out of it. My teacher was a total pushover and we spent most classes watching movies or anime with subtitles or dubbed. I really didn't learn much other than a bit of vocab and hiragana. We learned katakana too but I don't think I really nailed that down until university. So, yes. 3 years of high school Japanese taught me pretty much nothing. Of course this is all quite a while ago now (Kai is oooollllldddd compared to all you young whippersnappers lol Well not -that- old...) The other high school was a little more intensive I think.

My uni had something similar to Starry's in that if you had taken Japanese 30 you had to take Japanese 150 rather than 101 and 102. I saw this as both good and bad. Good because we were a little more advanced and didn't really need to learn hiragana all over again. Bad in that there was a lot of people with varying levels coming in. At least with 101 everyone would be on a level playing field.

And then after that I decided to go abroad, spent a year at Hokkaido University in Sapporo (fantabulous). I got to take a good amount of classes there and it was also a little more of a shock to the system as once you got past the intro levels (Perspective wise, when I got there I had to take a placement test. It was terrible. It was eye-opening. I learned just how little I actually knew. They placed me in their beginner 2 level, I looked at their textbooks and requested to be placed in beginner 3. I also took beginner kanji 1 since though I had learned some Kanji before I didn't remember it well at all. I also signed up to take an oral communication class that was just terrible. The ability differences in the students and a hard headed teacher made the class supremely unpleasant.) you were taught Japanese in Japanese. This was shocking. At first there was more english then as you adjusted to the classroom and the vocab they started teaching more in Japanese. It was interesting. I learned a lot in Japan, not just about Japanese. I probably could have done better on the Japanese had I immersed myself more but I ended up making a group of friends with other international students and we spoke English. So yep. Not as good as it could have been.

Then once I came home I had to take yet another placement test. Joy. This involved a short little conversation and reading a passage and a little writing test. They placed me at Japanese 302. (So I "skipped"/got credit for 3 classes worth of Japanese while I was in Japan). And that happens to be the last class I took formally confused I would have liked to continue but one of the last few classes I needed to take conflicted with the next class. And then I graduated (/am still waiting to convocate...).

... hang on a second... those are the exact same course codes that my high school and university use. Are you from Alberta, Kai Shi?  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

Kai Shi
Crew

7,850 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:46 pm
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi

... hang on a second... those are the exact same course codes that my high school and university use. Are you from Alberta, Kai Shi?

I am indeed~ Are you happening to go to U of A then?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:15 pm
Kai Shi
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi

Yes, that's exactly where I am.

And this might be a stab in the dark, but you said you live in a city where two out of three high schools teach Japanese, and you had an awful teacher... did you go to Bellerose High School, by chance?  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

Kai Shi
Crew

7,850 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:27 pm
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi

And this might be a stab in the dark, but you said you live in a city where two out of three high schools teach Japanese, and you had an awful teacher... did you go to Bellerose High School, by chance?

Nope Paul Kane. And my teacher ended up fired a few years ago, I think she's off in Vancouver now or something...

Craziness...How's the u treating you? I'm ever so glad to be done.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:33 pm
Kai Shi
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi

Nope Paul Kane. And my teacher ended up fired a few years ago, I think she's off in Vancouver now or something...

Seriously? There are 23 million people on this site, and my only prefect and I live in the same city of 60, 000 people? This is the weirdest moment of my online life. Your high school Japanese teacher lives next door to me.

The university has been all right so far. I'm taking Japanese 150 with Walker-sensei. I declined being placed in Japanese 201 this year... I think I made the right decision.

Wow, this is still really, really weird. I assumed you were American, and you actually live within walking distance. So odd.  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

Kai Shi
Crew

7,850 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:37 pm
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi

Seriously? There are 23 million people on this site, and my only prefect and I live in the same city of 60, 000 people? This is the weirdest moment of my online life. Your high school Japanese teacher lives next door to me.

The university has been all right so far. I'm taking Japanese 150 with Walker-sensei. I declined being placed in Japanese 201 this year... I think I made the right decision.

Wow, this is still really, really weird. I assumed you were American, and you actually live within walking distance. So odd.

She still lives here? I thought she had moved...If that's true then we even live in the same end of town. This is too weird. And to add to it all, I only just returned to Gaia from a many year break a few months ago. huh.

Well if you want any advice for the study abroad thing, I'm even more helpful than before xd

Japanese 201 would've been a pretty tough adjustment I would think. Especially on top of your regular course load. I always found that the workload for Japanese was pretty intense.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:45 pm
Kai Shi
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi

She still lives here? I thought she had moved...If that's true then we even live in the same end of town. This is too weird. And to add to it all, I only just returned to MeowBook from a many year break a few months ago. huh.

Well if you want any advice for the study abroad thing, I'm even more helpful than before xd

Japanese 201 would've been a pretty tough adjustment I would think. Especially on top of your regular course load. I always found that the workload for Japanese was pretty intense.

Yeah, actually, I think she did move away. Her house went up for rent for a bit, but I think she's sold it now. Wait, seriously? You live in the "D" section of town too?

Haha, no kidding. Unfortunately, though, if anyone in this guild wants information on American exchanges, they are well and truly out of luck.

They only offered 201 placement because their 150 classes had such enormous waiting lists. I was just lucky enough to get a spot in a daytime session of 150.  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

Kai Shi
Crew

7,850 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:49 pm
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi

She still lives here? I thought she had moved...If that's true then we even live in the same end of town. This is too weird. And to add to it all, I only just returned to MeowBook from a many year break a few months ago. huh.

Yeah, actually, I think she did move away. Her house went up for rent for a bit, but I think she's sold it now. Wait, seriously? You live in the "D" section of town too?

Haha, no kidding. Unfortunately, though, if anyone in this guild wants information on American exchanges, they are well and truly out of luck.

They only offered 201 placement because their 150 classes had such enormous waiting lists. I was just lucky enough to get a spot in a daytime session of 150.

Nope, "L" section. I should have gone to Bellrose but I chose Paul Kane.

Well for the exchange I went on we had a fair number of Americans. And I would imagine the process is probably fairly similar. A number of universities there offer exchange programs like the one I did.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:01 am
Kai Shi
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi

Nope, "L" section. I should have gone to Bellrose but I chose Paul Kane.

Well for the exchange I went on we had a fair number of Americans. And I would imagine the process is probably fairly similar. A number of universities there offer exchange programs like the one I did.

Wow, you really are nearby. I've probably seen you on the bus. If you go to the local library every now and then, then you've probably seen me - I work there.

I think a hearty round of Googling should be enough to track down some decent exchange programs. Although, with the nuclear situation still going, I don't think there are very many exchanges sending students out there right now.  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

Danshoku Kotonii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:50 pm
All the universities in my state require two years of foreign language study, but I refuse to learn Spanish (because the Hispanic population in my school is at 58% and I'm sick of hearing it) or French (just no interest in it).

xD

So I've been trying to learn Japanese, and I didn't take any high school language courses.

I'm enrolling in community college this fall, and will be taking transfer courses + Japanese <3  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:09 pm
well i did took a Spanish class in High school to get it completed in order to graduated. Im hoping to expand my learning language. Since i learn some Spanish i should learn more of it and plus Japanese. I also want to learn Korean.  

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:55 pm
Danshoku Kotonii
All the universities in my state require two years of foreign language study, but I refuse to learn Spanish (because the Hispanic population in my school is at 58% and I'm sick of hearing it) or French (just no interest in it).

xD

So I've been trying to learn Japanese, and I didn't take any high school language courses.

I'm enrolling in community college this fall, and will be taking transfer courses + Japanese <3

Wow, those are some intense language requirements. Good luck with college in the fall.  
Japanese Academy

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff