Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Handmade BoS? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Xaolu

Dapper Smoker

9,425 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Noob wrangler 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:27 am
Through years of having no privacy what so ever, I've memorized everything about rituals and what not. I have certain mental ques I've worked into my everyday schedule in order to continue to go over the knowledge. I also have a lot of my art stuff marked a certain way to help me remember what to do in certain rituals. everything I own thats close to me has some sort of marking or design. But there is nothing written down.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:05 pm
Mine is nothing fancy, it's just a three ring binder, neatly organized by tabs and whatnot. Some pages are print-out, some are copies from book pages, and some are just handwritten things.  

BlackFoxAkujin

Dapper Fatcat

9,900 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200

IEditYourWorld

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:05 pm
For a parchment effect, try roasting paper. I would recommend sketch paper for this rather than notebook paper. You can find sketch paper at a local art shop in varying sizes or online. Sketch paper tends to be thicker and better quality.

Next you'll want to preheat your oven to 350 to 400 degrees. If your oven has a light, it's a definite plus, but I'll explain why in a moment. If you want a slightly aged look to the paper, go for 350 degrees. For a more overall brownness of the paper, 400 degrees is a better bet. I like the look of 400 degrees better, but feel free to experiment. Keep a fire extinguisher handy!

Next, you'll want to take a sheet of sketch paper and ball it up. Don't tear it while balling it up. Just ball it up into a ball. Once it's nice and crinkly, unball it. The piece of paper should have lots of wrinkles.

Next, run the entire sheet under water. You'll want it good and wet.

Next, put it in the oven. I don't have a time limit on hand, but you'll want to keep an eye on it until it's at your desired brownness. This is where the oven light comes in handy! When the paper has cooked to your desired color, grab a pair of tongs and gently take it out of the oven.

For a neat edging effect, get a lighter and singe the edges. Be sure to do this over an empty kitchen sink or bathtub in case the paper catches fire and you are not able to blow it out. When burning the edges, be sure that any flammable objects are moved away so that you don't start a fire.

I've done this for craft projects, and people have asked me if it's real parchment. That's what makes it so awesome. You get the look without the hefty price tag.

Have fun!
IEditYourWorld  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:46 am
IEditYourWorld
For a parchment effect, try roasting paper. I would recommend sketch paper for this rather than notebook paper. You can find sketch paper at a local art shop in varying sizes or online. Sketch paper tends to be thicker and better quality.

Next you'll want to preheat your oven to 350 to 400 degrees. If your oven has a light, it's a definite plus, but I'll explain why in a moment. If you want a slightly aged look to the paper, go for 350 degrees. For a more overall brownness of the paper, 400 degrees is a better bet. I like the look of 400 degrees better, but feel free to experiment. Keep a fire extinguisher handy!

Next, you'll want to take a sheet of sketch paper and ball it up. Don't tear it while balling it up. Just ball it up into a ball. Once it's nice and crinkly, unball it. The piece of paper should have lots of wrinkles.

Next, run the entire sheet under water. You'll want it good and wet.

Next, put it in the oven. I don't have a time limit on hand, but you'll want to keep an eye on it until it's at your desired brownness. This is where the oven light comes in handy! When the paper has cooked to your desired color, grab a pair of tongs and gently take it out of the oven.

For a neat edging effect, get a lighter and singe the edges. Be sure to do this over an empty kitchen sink or bathtub in case the paper catches fire and you are not able to blow it out. When burning the edges, be sure that any flammable objects are moved away so that you don't start a fire.

I've done this for craft projects, and people have asked me if it's real parchment. That's what makes it so awesome. You get the look without the hefty price tag.

Have fun!
IEditYourWorld

The problem is that it makes the pages fragile- which isn't a big deal for something that gets hung on the wall- but for a book it can be disastrous!  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:35 pm
I use this:

User Image

The pages are blank and you can write in your own stuff and copy out rituals and such. There are different sizes and colourations, but I got a small one because it's easy to carry around.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:27 pm
Any books relating to my coven practice are all handcopied, in archival-quality pen and blank white acid-free sketchbooks, the kind with the plain black cover. When the books are finished they get bound in leather.

My other books range from pocket notebooks to huge 3-ring binders. They aren't fancy, but most only hold notes, and recipes. They're workbooks, nothing more.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:47 pm
Morgandria
Any books relating to my coven practice are all handcopied, in archival-quality pen and blank white acid-free sketchbooks, the kind with the plain black cover. When the books are finished they get bound in leather.

That sounds very cool whee Do you or someone in your coven bind them, or do you send them out? (That sounds sort of unsafe as far as the content goes xd )  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:01 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Morgandria

That sounds very cool whee Do you or someone in your coven bind them, or do you send them out? (That sounds sort of unsafe as far as the content goes xd )

We bind them ourselves, of course.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

-MysticCherri-

Fuzzy Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:40 pm
I currently use a file on my computer since I'm dealing with Christian parents and a stepmother who likes to get into my stuff. (not saying all Christians are bad, some of my best friends are Christian or Catholic...) I take spells i find useful and relevant on the internet and store them as notepad files (a wonderful thing for the beginner by the way ^-^ it's where I done most of my research I have read books upon the subject.) and some times i make my own. I plan on making a BOS out of wood covered in black fabric and my metal edgings I retrieved from an old steamer trunk. (i took a three ring binder and took the business end out of it.) fancy hinges and the like. this however will mostly be for looks since I'm going to try to start up a coven one day. tools are nice to have but magic comes from the gods and within yourself
(bit off topic i know but i wanted to say it some where ^-^)
~May you Blessed Be~  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games