Submit

good build?
  YES
  HELL YA
  HUH?
View Results

090Freak090

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:53 pm
Ok, so I just ordered the YHM 16" threaded and fluted barrel 1:7" twist low profile gas block, gas tube, and the Diamond Specter XL Free Float tube. Basically in the end I will have:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
For under $900

End Result of my Frankin-Diamond XL:
Upper*
DSA A3 upper with Armalite parts (DSGarms.com)
DTI Charging Handle (JABTAC.com)
YHM 16" Threaded and Fluted Barrel 1:7" twist (YHM.net)
YHM Diamond Free Float Hand-guard Rifle length (CTD)
Daniel Defense Bolt Carrier Group (AIMsurplus.com)

Lower*
Surplus Arms and Ammo Lower (AIMsurplus.com)
6 Position collapsible stock (AIMsurplus.com)
Daniel Defense Lower Parts Kit (DSGarms.com)  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:22 pm
CURSE YOU PEOPLE AND YOUR HAVING MONEY AND NOT LIVING IN CALIFORNIA WITH PARENTS WHO WON'T LET YOU OWN A GUN.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

090Freak090

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:42 pm
Requiem in Mortis
CURSE YOU PEOPLE AND YOUR HAVING MONEY AND NOT LIVING IN CALIFORNIA WITH PARENTS WHO WON'T LET YOU OWN A GUN.

Haha, I really don't have much money... Not NOW at least.

All it takes is slowly ordering parts as you bring in a paycheck. While gathering parts from different sites I never made a purchase over $260  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:00 am
090Freak090
Hope you didn't order the handguard... "rifle length" means it was made for a 20" barrel.

Also, 1:7 has its trade-offs. You can put a 90gr. round through it and it'll stabilize, but on the other hand, anything under 50gr will explode at about 30'. Just FYI.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Shrantic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:28 am
Fresnel
090Freak090
Hope you didn't order the handguard... "rifle length" means it was made for a 20" barrel.

Also, 1:7 has its trade-offs. You can put a 90gr. round through it and it'll stabilize, but on the other hand, anything under 50gr will explode at about 30'. Just FYI.
I want 1:14.

All of your rounds become VARMINT GRENADES.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:49 am
Fresnel
090Freak090

The picture shown has the Rifle length handguard and a 16" barrel I like the way it looks a lot better with just a little barrel showing. I'm planning on putting a set of MBUSs on it and then some glass. (Yes, I did get a lowpro gas block)

I am aware of that, I wanted 1:8 but YHM only has 1:7 or 1:9 and I decided to go with 1:7 for the versitiliy. Besides, the vast majority or 5.56/223 are 55gr or 62gr. From what I have heard with 55gr it's the varmint rounds you have to worry about

Rocky: Why 1:14?  

090Freak090

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:02 am
090Freak090
Fresnel
090Freak090

The picture shown has the Rifle length handguard and a 16" barrel I like the way it looks a lot better with just a little barrel showing. I'm planning on putting a set of MBUSs on it and then some glass. (Yes, I did get a lowpro gas block)

I am aware of that, I wanted 1:8 but YHM only has 1:7 or 1:9 and I decided to go with 1:7 for the versitiliy. Besides, the vast majority or 5.56/223 are 55gr or 62gr. From what I have heard with 55gr it's the varmint rounds you have to worry about

1:9 will handle the 45gr. rounds I have, but won't be able to stabilize 80's. Then again, you can't fit 80's in a magazine, so as a casual shooter, you really lose nothing. I'd have recommended 1:9.

Also, I think he meant 1:12. I've never seen 1:14. 1:12 allows you to shoot Barnes Varmint Grenade, the most hilarious bullet since the "bang" flag.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:44 pm
Fresnel
090Freak090
Fresnel
090Freak090

1:9 will handle the 45gr. rounds I have, but won't be able to stabilize 80's. Then again, you can't fit 80's in a magazine, so as a casual shooter, you really lose nothing. I'd have recommended 1:9.

Also, I think he meant 1:12. I've never seen 1:14. 1:12 allows you to shoot Barnes Varmint Grenade, the most hilarious bullet since the "bang" flag.
What is done is done. I will, most likely, at some point in time, build a SPR upper with a better barrel, but the price and review were good so I can't complain. yet  

090Freak090

090Freak090

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:44 pm
Ok Gents, My DD Bolt and my YHM Free-float handguard came in today. Unfortunately CTD packaged my handguard in a plastic bag so when I got it it was dinged up on the front corners of the bottom and left rails. So that is being sent back tomorrow and I will be waiting a few more days for them to get that fixed. Still waiting on Barrel, Gas tube/block, and DTI Charging Handle.

In the mean time, here is the Pr0n as promised.

User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:56 pm
Needs moar barrel!  

ArmasTermin

090Freak090

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:16 pm
ArmasTermin
Needs moar barrel!

Needs faster shipping!!!

Finally found a Mini USB! So, before we sent the YHM forearm back to CTDI decided to screw it on to the upper just to see how it would look and feel (Minus stability). Now, this is a 12' forearm and it will be covering a 16" bbl with a lowpro gas block. So imagine 4" of bbl sticking out of the end and thats pretty much it.
User Image  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:20 pm
090Freak090
Bit of a joke. See, the very early M16's had 1:14 twist, which was quickly switched to 1:12, then eventually to 1:7. The 1:14 couldn't stabilize heavier rounds and lighter rounds have inherently shorter range than heavier ones, but the light bullets tended to tumble when they hit flesh, creating horrific wounds that mimic the performance of the most hilarious cartridge in existence- the Barnes Varmint Grenade.

Watch it ELIMINATE small animals.  

Shrantic

090Freak090

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:42 pm
Rocky Sassoon
090Freak090
Bit of a joke. See, the very early M16's had 1:14 twist, which was quickly switched to 1:12, then eventually to 1:7. The 1:14 couldn't stabilize heavier rounds and lighter rounds have inherently shorter range than heavier ones, but the light bullets tended to tumble when they hit flesh, creating horrific wounds that mimic the performance of the most hilarious cartridge in existence- the Barnes Varmint Grenade.

Ooooh.... Never would have got the joke sorry. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:14 am
If you're interested in an EOTech 557, I find myself in need of cash flow again, and still unable to mount it on my AR, because of the damn carry handle.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Shrantic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:42 pm
090Freak090
Rocky Sassoon
090Freak090

Ooooh.... Never would have got the joke sorry. sweatdrop
Yeah, it's pretty esoteric. Either you have to have a good understanding of the 5.56, barrel twist rates, and the Varmint Grenade, or have knowledge of the earliest M16's. >.>  
Buying and Advice

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff