Submit

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:44 pm
ArmasTermin
Fresnel
ArmasTermin
Okay, unexpected problem. I don't have the new stock yet, but I figured I'd take off the old one and try my pistol grip just for fun, before it comes in. But I can't get the damn stock off. No matter how hard I brace it, even working the screwdriver with a wrench, I can't even make that screw budge.
Store it muzzle-down for a day, and put a few drops of Kroil on the screw, and I guarantee if anything will loosen it, Kroil will.

Don't think I have any Kroil around, never heard of it. Is that a hardware store thing, a gun store thing, or a Wal Mart thing?
Hardware store, maybe. I don't know if a smaller shop or a big home-improvement store would be more likely to carry it, but probably the former. A really high-end gun store that caters to competitive shooting would probably carry it, as hardcore benchrest shooters use it as gun lube, but such shops are not exactly common. Amazon and Brownells carry it though, if you're willing to wait for shipping. The bright orange can makes it visible as hell in stores, though.

Really though, it's worth it. If you have a stuck part, give it a drop of kroil, hit it with a hammer a few times, wait six hours, and it'll come right apart.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:34 pm
Bad news, everyone.

Brought the Mossberg into the gun shop/range and the gunsmith looked over it. He tried his perfectly-fitting screwdriver and tried his best but, apparently I'd stripped the damn thing. So he gave me the options.

Drill out the screw and remove it, for $40. It was hard to reach, and he would have had to be pretty slow and delicate, not to mention the force to take it out when it's stuck so bad.

Saw the stock down to a pistol grip to remove the screw; the pistol grip would be salvageable, but the stock would be useless, for less than $40 (exact price not mentioned).

Keep it as is, leave wood stock on, for the $50 spent on the now useless new stock.

So as you can see, there was no good option. I thought about it for a few minutes, and I'm not proud to say I picked option two. I love the wood stock, and have nothing against wood stocks. I think it looks great, and it hurts to think of the gunsmith hacking that nice-looking stock off. But I didn't see myself putting the wood one back on anyway, so it likely would have sat in a box somewhere, "Just in case I ever feel like putting it back on." At least I should be able to have a wood pistol grip I'll never use. Easier to store... And the guy's going to install the new parts. Wish I'd not lost the orange magazine tube follower I got from Midway USA, could have had him put that in, too.

User Image  

ArmasTermin

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:59 pm
Well, you can always buy a new stock for it later. I'd imagine the factory wood stocks are plentiful, because every guy who replaces it with something cooler has one hanging around.

I wish I had an orange follower. Mine's ******** BLACK. Kinda want a Scattergun Tech. neon green follower, but it kills me to spend more on shipping than on the item.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff