Reply Buying and Advice
Any good first guns for hunting? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:08 am
OP still hasn't mentioned how far he wants to be doing the shooting. So under 150 yards I say shotgun for ultimate versatility. Over 150, buy a Nugget or a Marlin XS7 in .308 Win. Supposedly almost as good as a Remington 700 for half the price.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:19 pm
I have another question for you guys. If I were to get a smooth bore 870, would I be able to fire buckshot and slugs through the same barrel? Also, would I have to use a certain type of slug in different barrels?  

inverse-actuality

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:31 pm
inverse-actuality
I have another question for you guys. If I were to get a smooth bore 870, would I be able to fire buckshot and slugs through the same barrel? Also, would I have to use a certain type of slug in different barrels?

One can use standard shot and rifled slugs in a standard cylinder bore barrel. The use of saboted slugs is restricted to rifled barrels. See, the "rifled" of rifled slugs apply to the projectile having scoring going around its perimeter that spin it rather than rifling of a barrel.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:20 am
ArmasTermin
inverse-actuality

One can use standard shot and rifled slugs in a standard cylinder bore barrel. The use of saboted slugs is restricted to rifled barrels. See, the "rifled" of rifled slugs apply to the projectile having scoring going around its perimeter that spin it rather than rifling of a barrel.
You know, I think in this situation I might suggest an 870 combo. I know you can get a 500 combo, but changing barrels on an 870 is so ridiculously easy... you just un-screw the end cap on the magazine and pull the barrel from the receiver.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:37 am
Fresnel
ArmasTermin
inverse-actuality

You know, I think in this situation I might suggest an 870 combo. I know you can get a 500 combo, but changing barrels on an 870 is so ridiculously easy... you just un-screw the end cap on the magazine and pull the barrel from the receiver.

That's what you do on the 500.

Unscrew magazine tube cap, put pump at half-way, and pull off the barrel.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:00 pm
ArmasTermin
Fresnel
ArmasTermin
inverse-actuality

Same with the Nova. Pretty much same for most modern pumps.  

Man of the Demoneye

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:38 pm
ArmasTermin
Fresnel
ArmasTermin
inverse-actuality

Huh. I thought I'd been told it was a bit more complicated on the 500/590.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:32 am
Some cleaning videos just because they might be helpful.

Mossberg 500: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKbWcPdTRBI

Remington 870: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkPJHzw4PXg  

Man of the Demoneye

SpeedmanRC

Conservative Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:01 pm
I'm going white tail hunting this fall with my Mosin.

I still think the best bang for buck new large game hunting rifle would be the bolt action Rem with a scope bore sighted in and ready to go. Like Gander has a Rem 700 with scope and some other nice features for 399, or a Rem 770 with scope for 299.

and for me in WI I just shoot some silver bear 203gr soft point...cause it's law, you have to use SP.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:45 am
I would recommend these in case one or the other is now allowed in your region.

Shotgun: Anything that can take .308 for large game.

A Pellet gun with arrow tips for small game lol. Pressure CO^2 /25-45fps

Or you can simply just blow them away with a .410 ga
Mossberg(sp) is really good for beginners

10ga or a 20ga would do ya some justice for almost any game

Rifle:
.22 LR or RF (Must clean regularly)
Ruger(SP) 10/22

Or you can simply just get a grenade launcher and hope for the best mrgreen <---Not recommended even if you could get a hold of one  

Bat Weasel

7,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Buying and Advice

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items