Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Foreign Substances and the Wiccan Rede/Law of 3/Karma/etc Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:39 am
Aakosir
Sanguina Cruenta
Aakosir
Shearaha
And then you have the question what if the cure harms?

For example. I have severe shoulder and knee pain. Over the counter pain meds stopped working years ago and my doctors refuse to proscribe me anything stronger. I have taken to smoking a small amount of pot on days where the pain gets too bad to handle. So by relieving my pain with pot am I harming myself or helping myself?

I have heard that pot only coats the brain cells and then wears off doing no harm. But then I have heard it damages brain cells and kills them... I think it is morally wrong, but for medicinal purposes I can look past that. But if people abuse the medicinal purpose then it goes right back to being morally wrong.

Why is pot morally wrong?

To me it is. It changes a person. I do not like being near people who are not in control of themselves. And it is an influence on behavior.

Prolonged daily use of pot can lead to permanent loss of brain cells. But it takes longer and les are lost then consuming alcohol.
A bad nights sleep changes a person. So does a sequence of misfortunate events. In the time I've personally been using it all it does to me is relax me, make it easier to sleep and makes the pain go away. I am in full control of myself and all of my faculties.
So by your standards my use isn't morally wrong because I retain full control of myself?
Not trying to gang up, just want to figure out your POV a little more.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:42 pm
Look at mythology. Greek, Egyptian, Celtic, Norse, Native American- look at all of the gods and goddesses that are worshiped with the use of alcohol and/or "foreign substances."

Hell, there are deities that represent alcohol and partying.  

Sardonic Tangerine

mechanical kitsy
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:00 am
What about substances that we eat every day that could be harmful? Artificial ingredients and the such.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:46 am
mechanical kitsy
What about substances that we eat every day that could be harmful? Artificial ingredients and the such.

I added the italics. For myself, I need to ground my concerns in what can be shown to be harmful instead of what might be harmful.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:44 pm
I live in New Zealand. We have a hole in the ozone layer, a five-minute burn time in summer and one of the highest melanoma rates in the world. As far as I'm concerned, the sun is massively harmful. But dude, sometimes you just have to go outside wink

Spending all one's time ascertaining what is harmful and what isn't is itself harmful. Every damn thing in the world gives you cancer, so let's all stop worrying and have a drink. blaugh  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:51 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
I live in New Zealand. We have a hole in the ozone layer, a five-minute burn time in summer and one of the highest melanoma rates in the world. As far as I'm concerned, the sun is massively harmful. But dude, sometimes you just have to go outside wink

Spending all one's time ascertaining what is harmful and what isn't is itself harmful. Every damn thing in the world gives you cancer, so let's all stop worrying and have a drink. blaugh

Rum please. pirate  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games