AR15 LUBRICATION

GUN GREASE VS OIL  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:10 am
090Freak090
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
from this point on im done with oil for the most part.

dries up too quick and leaks out the sides

grease stays there

but I will keep the little eyedrop bottle I filled with rem oil in the grip for applying in the middle of shooting for the "just in case" factor.
The problem with grease is that it gets EVERYWHERE. I packed the buffer tube of my AR with axel grease once... I can't get it out, and it makes everything greasy, and it's this horrible grayish color now...
jesus I dont use that much.

just on the shiny parts of the bolt carrier and some on the bolt.

and then dab it lightly along the length of the buffer and buffer spring before putting it back in.

that and im using a kind made for firearms. gunslick. its a type of graphite grease
Well, I didn't PACK IT pack it, but just a generous two-finger scoop. Killed the spring twang dead, but by god is it messy.

I just use a very light coat of Breakfree CLP and I've never heard a whisper from my spring.

(Side note) The first AR I ever shot belonged to fellow shooter at the range and I could hear his spring still creaking almost a second after each shot. I though it was cool at the time (I was only ~14), but now I'm a bit shocked by the whole thing.
ARs are supposed to twang when you fire them. It's just how they are. Mine doesn't twang because the gelatinous grease physically acts as a shock absorber, so I've got no idea why a thin coat of liquid is working for you. I'd honestly be wary of it, personally.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

090Freak090

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:42 pm
Fresnel
090Freak090
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985

grease stays there

but I will keep the little eyedrop bottle I filled with rem oil in the grip for applying in the middle of shooting for the "just in case" factor.
The problem with grease is that it gets EVERYWHERE. I packed the buffer tube of my AR with axel grease once... I can't get it out, and it makes everything greasy, and it's this horrible grayish color now...

and then dab it lightly along the length of the buffer and buffer spring before putting it back in.

that and im using a kind made for firearms. gunslick. its a type of graphite grease
Well, I didn't PACK IT pack it, but just a generous two-finger scoop. Killed the spring twang dead, but by god is it messy.

I just use a very light coat of Breakfree CLP and I've never heard a whisper from my spring.

(Side note) The first AR I ever shot belonged to fellow shooter at the range and I could hear his spring still creaking almost a second after each shot. I though it was cool at the time (I was only ~14), but now I'm a bit shocked by the whole thing.
ARs are supposed to twang when you fire them. It's just how they are. Mine doesn't twang because the gelatinous grease physically acts as a shock absorber, so I've got no idea why a thin coat of liquid is working for you. I'd honestly be wary of it, personally.
it may develop over time seeing as mine is still very new. My spring is wearing down the finish inside my Buffer tube so it may be some frictional force keeping it from vibrating like that.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:18 pm
well all I have is a Mosin and a SKS...clean and lube using hoppe's products. but then again...the tolerances are a little loose in those firearms.  

SpeedmanRC

Conservative Hunter

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:17 am
090Freak090
Fresnel
090Freak090
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985

it may develop over time seeing as mine is still very new. My spring is wearing down the finish inside my Buffer tube so it may be some frictional force keeping it from vibrating like that.
awesome dude. I think I might have seen yours on another topic. I forget.

welcomes to the AR club anyways xd  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:10 am
Recon_Ninja_985
HelloJohnnyBlade
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985

grease stays there

If it's sticky and thick enough that I can slather it on my steel toe boots, stick it to a wall and make it stay you shouldn't use it for a gun.
(facepalm)

NEGATIVE

thats MASSIVE amounts of grease. its a lubricant, not glue.

what makes it superior is that it doesnt leak or dry up and stays there and overall provides BETTER lubrication, rather than constantly drowning the rifle in oil and you dont even have to use as much grease as you do oil.

oil disappears...grease stays put.
any grease will do

try using some grease or even gunslick (A GREASE FOR FIREARMS) first and see for yourself and THEN try and tell me about how horrible it is,
I sincerely doubt you even could as it would change your opinion.
I'm not talking about gun grease. Big difference when you're talking about the recommended and the bad alternative like Fresnel here took, oil based axle grease.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:14 am
HelloJohnnyBlade
Recon_Ninja_985
HelloJohnnyBlade
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985

grease stays there

If it's sticky and thick enough that I can slather it on my steel toe boots, stick it to a wall and make it stay you shouldn't use it for a gun.
(facepalm)

NEGATIVE

what makes it superior is that it doesnt leak or dry up and stays there and overall provides BETTER lubrication, rather than constantly drowning the rifle in oil and you dont even have to use as much grease as you do oil.

any grease will do

try using some grease or even gunslick (A GREASE FOR FIREARMS) first and see for yourself and THEN try and tell me about how horrible it is,
I'm not talking about gun grease. Big difference when you're talking about the recommended and the bad alternative like Fresnel here took, oil based axle grease.

any grease works. click the vids at the top of this page! >.<

theres hardly a difference!

your idea of grease being a bad choice is totally wrong.

the "bad alternative" you are talking about was him using way too much grease in the buffer. its best to put very little or none at all there with grease.

try using it first before saying anything bad about it.

especially if youre just guessing what would happen like you are now.

im telling you this because im using it now and IT WORKS BETTER THAN OIL, im totally sold on it now...so yeah :3  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:18 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
HelloJohnnyBlade
Recon_Ninja_985
HelloJohnnyBlade
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985

grease stays there

(facepalm)

NEGATIVE

any grease will do

the "bad alternative" you are talking about was him using way too much grease in the buffer. its best to put very little or none at all there with grease.

im telling you this because im using it now and IT WORKS BETTER THAN OIL, im totally sold on it now...so yeah :3
Dear ******** you aren't getting my rant...

Silicone and Lithium based greases, good. Petrol based, bad, especially when it's slathered on in an extreme amount.

I'm more of a fan of greases.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:35 pm
HelloJohnnyBlade
Recon_Ninja_985
HelloJohnnyBlade
Recon_Ninja_985
HelloJohnnyBlade
(facepalm)

NEGATIVE

any grease will do

Silicone and Lithium based greases, good. Petrol based, bad, especially when it's slathered on in an extreme amount.

I'm not seeing how and why it makes any difference at all.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:04 pm
Fresnel
HelloJohnnyBlade
Recon_Ninja_985
HelloJohnnyBlade
Recon_Ninja_985
HelloJohnnyBlade
(facepalm)

NEGATIVE

any grease will do

Other than a mess it leaves behind unlike it's synthetic cousins there's not much difference except clean up before reapplying.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:37 am
HelloJohnnyBlade
Fresnel
HelloJohnnyBlade
Recon_Ninja_985
HelloJohnnyBlade

Other than a mess it leaves behind unlike it's synthetic cousins there's not much difference except clean up before reapplying.
all grease leaves behind a mess no matter what.

still gotta wipe away the carbon blasted filthy grease to clean the weapon anyway, you cant just keep using the same dirty carrier group without cleaning away what the ammo does

always wipe everything away and reapply. no matter what it is  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:29 am
Recon_Ninja_985
HelloJohnnyBlade
Fresnel
HelloJohnnyBlade
Recon_Ninja_985
HelloJohnnyBlade

still gotta wipe away the carbon blasted filthy grease to clean the weapon anyway, you cant just keep using the same dirty carrier group without cleaning away what the ammo does

Oil leaves behind a bigger mess than synthetics.
Why?

Because it's made from OIL!! scream It's already carbon blasted goo!!

Anyways yes you do have to clean up before reapplying but the oil based is going to leave a bigger mess. It might even be a little blackened but definitely not as bad as used engine oil.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:46 pm
HelloJohnnyBlade
Recon_Ninja_985
HelloJohnnyBlade
Fresnel
HelloJohnnyBlade

Why?

Anyways yes you do have to clean up before reapplying but the oil based is going to leave a bigger mess. It might even be a little blackened but definitely not as bad as used engine oil.
Why would you think that petroleum products are "blasted with carbon"? Because it's a hydrocarbon? So is silicone. The only real difference with lithium is that it's safe to eat. Greases, by definition, are gooey and messy. Nothing else really changes, except viscosity and toxicity.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:56 pm
Fresnel
HelloJohnnyBlade
Recon_Ninja_985
HelloJohnnyBlade
Fresnel
HelloJohnnyBlade

Why?

Why would you think that petroleum products are "blasted with carbon"? Because it's a hydrocarbon? So is silicone. The only real difference with lithium is that it's safe to eat. Greases, by definition, are gooey and messy. Nothing else really changes, except viscosity and toxicity.

Silicone doesn't have hydrocarbon if it had them it wouldn't be applied to rubber that needed to retain it's shape. It's heat resistant which means if you cook it it will retain most of it's shape while oil based would actually cook and leave behind a tar like substance.

I'd suggest silicone for everything. Lithium if your that French guy that eats glass and metal.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:02 pm
HelloJohnnyBlade
Fresnel
HelloJohnnyBlade
Recon_Ninja_985
HelloJohnnyBlade

Why?

Silicone doesn't have hydrocarbon if it had them it wouldn't be applied to rubber that needed to retain it's shape. It's heat resistant which means if you cook it it will retain most of it's shape while oil based would actually cook and leave behind a tar like substance.

I'd suggest silicone for everything. Lithium if your that French guy that eats glass and metal.
You realize that silicone and silicon are different, right? Silicone is, chemically, silicon, hydrogen, carbon, oxygen, and trace other s**t. It's silicon + hydrocarbon.

And oil burns at rather high temperatures, gelatinous greases even higher. Like, your barrel will start to weaken and your handguards will light on fire and/or melt off at that temperature.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff