Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Chatterbox/Humor
Do you jerk your meat? If so, how and how often? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AINGELPROJECT667

Shy Lunatic

5,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Trader 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:35 pm
Ha, the fun part about being in Georgia is that we don't have to go buy beef for our jerky; we just wander into the woods, shoot us a deer,(during deer season, of course) bring it back, cut the meat off, and make our own jerky. And let me tell you, deer jerky is the best, in my opinion.

As for how its prepared, we always marinate the jerky before setting it out onto the dehydrator, and checking on it every now and then until its dried to our liking. I like mine tough, yet still chewy enough to eat.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:49 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
Requiem in Mortis
GGE, I am disappoint. Not one of you has made a dirty joke about the title of this thread.

And I just buy jerky at the store, but I'm not that big of a fan of jerky anyways.
This brings to mind an old thread in the early days of the GGE. Someone made a thread about a "hot girl stripping". It was a misleading thread of a 10 year old girl field stripping and reassembling an AR15 in under a minute and a half. Every reply was about OP being a ***** for calling a 10 year old girl hot.
Wasn't that Sierra? Rabid fan of Gunslinger Girl? xd  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:26 pm
AINGELPROJECT667
Ha, the fun part about being in Georgia is that we don't have to go buy beef for our jerky; we just wander into the woods, shoot us a deer,(during deer season, of course) bring it back, cut the meat off, and make our own jerky. And let me tell you, deer jerky is the best, in my opinion.

As for how its prepared, we always marinate the jerky before setting it out onto the dehydrator, and checking on it every now and then until its dried to our liking. I like mine tough, yet still chewy enough to eat.
Yeah same here and just about any other state really. Yesterday I was on some back roads and I saw a sign that said they were selling elk for $300. I didn't stop in to see how much meat that would be but I assume it's a lot of meat.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:27 pm
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
Requiem in Mortis
GGE, I am disappoint. Not one of you has made a dirty joke about the title of this thread.

And I just buy jerky at the store, but I'm not that big of a fan of jerky anyways.
This brings to mind an old thread in the early days of the GGE. Someone made a thread about a "hot girl stripping". It was a misleading thread of a 10 year old girl field stripping and reassembling an AR15 in under a minute and a half. Every reply was about OP being a ***** for calling a 10 year old girl hot.
I don't think that was Sierra. When people get on his case about trolling he takes it pretty well. If I recall OP got really defensive about our shenanigans getting upset because we were taking it the wrong way. Now I gotta look for the thread. brb

http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=13107571&page=1
Maelthra Reloaded  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:29 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
Requiem in Mortis

I don't think that was Sierra. When people get on his case about trolling he takes it pretty well. If I recall OP got really defensive about our shenanigans getting upset because we were taking it the wrong way. Now I gotta look for the thread. brb

http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=13107571&page=1
Maelthra Reloaded
Damn. I don't even think I was a member back then.

I love the "AR-15 is an M16 in semi-auto and with a scope" comment.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:56 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
AINGELPROJECT667

Yeah same here and just about any other state really. Yesterday I was on some back roads and I saw a sign that said they were selling elk for $300. I didn't stop in to see how much meat that would be but I assume it's a lot of meat.
Honestly, I would expect that for that price, you get AN ELK. Dead, alive, whatever. I think that'd be a fair price for an elk someone shot, field dressed, and dragged back to civilization.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:57 pm
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
AINGELPROJECT667

Honestly, I would expect that for that price, you get AN ELK. Dead, alive, whatever. I think that'd be a fair price for an elk someone shot, field dressed, and dragged back to civilization.
That's what I was thinking too, but I wasn't sure.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:05 pm
Requiem in Mortis

I will be up surfing the web and jerking my meat... wink

I didn't get any pics of the meat before it was marinated, but here is half of my current batch using a whole Eye of Round muscle.
User Image

This is the entire batch in the oven which is set at 170F (I've been say 150 by mistake, it's actually 170) Notice the foil on the bottom and the juices that fell on it, some will fall around the foil, but only some. This is very important because if you don't clean your oven after your finished with making the jerky, the next time you crank on the oven to bake something all that jerky GOO you left on the bottom of the oven will burn and it will make your entire house reek not to mention the awful headache that ensues.
User Image  

090Freak090

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:24 pm
Looks good. I'll have to see what I can do for some lean beef.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:51 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
Looks good. I'll have to see what I can do for some lean beef.

Yeah, smells good too... (forgot to mention) I sprinkled course ground pepper and some garlic powder on it just before placing it in the oven. (adds to the texture and taste)
But I have to wait until 5:15 to see if its ready or not... crying  

090Freak090

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:02 pm
I just realized I have a whole lot of chicken in the freezer. I should try jerking some chicken and see if it turns out well. It's pretty lean stuff.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:29 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
I just realized I have a whole lot of chicken in the freezer. I should try jerking some chicken and see if it turns out well. It's pretty lean stuff.

hmm... I've hear of turkey jerky before, so idk  

090Freak090

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:42 pm
3.5g of fat in a 124g serving sounds good to me. biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:50 pm
I dunno... the fact that I've never heard of it before makes me wary.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:30 am
I've never heard anyone say they tried it and it turned out terribly. The only way to find out is to try.  
Chatterbox/Humor

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff