Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)
I have found myself in a sort of spiritual conundrum. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DemonCount

6,750 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:46 pm
I used to have his wicca for the solitary, but a friend borrowed it an never returned it. The wicca handbook I've only read a little. After reading some of bucklands, I don't like him either. And for the celtic magic book, I was at a yard sale, and they wanted a dollar for it and a tarot deck, and I like collecting tarot decks. I read most of wicca for the solitary, and really liked it, thought earlier about getting another copy.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:50 pm
The Conway is just... yeah. Yuck. I'm glad you didn't pay much for it.

I just don't like Buckland's style. It chafes at me.

What about what you've read so far appeals?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

DemonCount

6,750 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:02 pm
When I read them, I was primarily interested in the magic and ceremony, not much about the religion and beliefs, so I might want to reread some of them before I can give an accurate answer.
And I do have to say, I agree about Buckland. There is something about how he writes that just makes you want to hate him.
And I think I will take my leave now. Thanks for your help, and when I have read more, I will hopefully be better equipped to answer some of those questions, or might not need to.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:10 pm
I don't think Feri is right for me. For the time being, initiation of most forms is beyond my means. The closest coven of any sort that I know of is over 60 miles away. And my life doesn't leave much time to travel much. I have a pregnant fiance and a job that works me 7:30 am to 4:30 pm 5 to 6 days a week. So something that doesn't require immediate initiation, or maybe if I can find something of a sort that might fit in my area. Any suggestions?  

DemonCount

6,750 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:07 pm
DemonCount
I don't think Feri is right for me. For the time being, initiation of most forms is beyond my means. The closest coven of any sort that I know of is over 60 miles away. And my life doesn't leave much time to travel much. I have a pregnant fiance and a job that works me 7:30 am to 4:30 pm 5 to 6 days a week. So something that doesn't require immediate initiation, or maybe if I can find something of a sort that might fit in my area. Any suggestions?

Neither Feri nor Wicca require immediate initiation. In fact even once you find a coven that fits you (60 miles, by all accounts, isn't considered "far" to travel to study with a coven) it may be some time before they decide it's the right time to initiate you.

Feri has some parts of it you can do alone and without initiation, as I understand it. It's sort of more that you can only get to a certain point by yourself; to "advance" in Feri beyond that you need to be initiated.

We can't really pinpoint which form of ditheistic neo-pagan witchcraft is a right fit for you. You'll just have to read about until you find the right one, or build your own with the inspiration and help of various books.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:25 pm
Okay. Well, thanks for all your help. You really have helped me a lot.  

DemonCount

6,750 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:30 pm
For what it's worth, I'm a Seeker currently working with a Gard Coven. It's taken me months to wind up here and the early phases of the Seeking have been more of a casual meet and get to know each other.

If you're seeking a spiritual calling and you feel Wicca is right for you- don't be afraid to chat with folks and get to know the covens in your area that may be accepting Seekers.

Initiates are human- and they understand you have a life and should be willing to accommodate it as you find your path. If they aren't then it would mean that it might not be the right fit for you.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:51 pm
Winds up that there is a group closer than the one 60+ miles away. I was looking at witchvox.com last night, and found a store about 20 miles away. I went earlier and the owner invited me to their Samhain celebration. I'm hoping to go back frequently to learn whatever I can from them.  

DemonCount

6,750 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:32 pm
That's great! Two things to keep in mind with groups:

If they're claiming to be a legit Wiccan or other initiate type coven, you should check other groups for a vouch for their legitimacy. Wicca has the Amber and Jet mailing list where you can ask for help or info.

The other thing is that there are a lot of groups who teach stuff that may not be worth knowing. If the group is a part of Bkack Forest Clan or something, that's something to keep in
mind.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:55 pm
When it comes to seeking to be with a Wiccan Coven, vouches are important, but walking straight up and demanding a vouch can come across wrong, even to lineaged groups.

If you don't feel like you click with them, there's no point in asking right?  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

DemonCount

6,750 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:58 pm
Okay thanks. Right now, I don't know a lot about them, I spoke to one of the people who people who started it up, she was running the shop, and she was the one who invited me. She told me a little about her and her husband, and their group. They are both ordained reverends, are members of OBOD.
From their site:
"Tim and Edwina formed AppleOak Grove as a family place of worship in 1997.

AppleOak is an eclectic Grove that blends the
nature base religions of Druidry and Wicca.

We hold celebrations throughout the Wheel of the Year,
the Lunar Cycle, we also have movie nights, and workshops.

We welcome seekers and friends of all positive faith paths
and are a family group of many diverse paths.

We are ordained Clergy, and provide services of
Weddings, Handfastings, Funerals, Crossovers,
and many
Rites of Passages and Services to the community."  
*~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items