Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
How do you pronounce? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you yahoo?
  Yes.
  No.
  What the...?!!??
  Pollness
View Results

Javatom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:50 pm
I say ant-I.

I don't know why, but I do. Maybe it's because I don't know anyone who says ant-E. *shrug*  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:14 pm
It depends on what the next words is for anti-. Most of the time I'll say 'antee' but sometimes I'll also say 'ant-I'.
I say 'thuh'. >.<

Oooh, how do you pronounce 'orange'? I had a huge debate with my friend on it, and we actually surveyed people in the library once. Of course I won with my 'are-inge' pronounciation because we're in New York. She lost with 'oar-inge' and someone asked her if she came from Florida.

For the 'u's in words, it depends. I'll do it if I feel like it and sometimes I won't. As for the theatre thing, I was taught that 'theater' was wrong and it was spelled 'theatre'. I didn't know that people spelled it the other way.

Shrocomemos

Totle

Gallant Reveler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:29 am
wait.... Hold on.

Isn't it that you say th-uh when the following word begins with a consanent and you say thE(ee) when teh next word begins with a vowel.

Say the end really fast.

and i thought ante was something you wager when you bet... confused  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:34 am
Totle
wait.... Hold on.

Isn't it that you say th-uh when the following word begins with a consanent and you say thE(ee) when teh next word begins with a vowel.

Say the end really fast.

I never learned this rule...

Shrocomemos

Thalestris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:18 am
Totle
wait.... Hold on.

Say the end really fast.

I don't know if it's a written rule, but it tends to work out that way.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:58 pm
It's also accents, apprently when Canadians say about, you guys hear aboot. When we think we're pronouncing it the same way.
Some Canadians also stress their "a"s Like in car we pronounce it Ke-ar .  

Bookworm_42901

Sachiko13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:43 am
The MoUsY spell-checker
There was also the art teacher who emphasised that "colour" has a U in it.
an english teacher at my school once deducted points from a British girl's paper for using the wrong spelling of "gray" and for putting the "u" in colour. which is the proper spelling, anyway? is it "gray" or "grey?" i can never figure it out.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:26 pm
Sachiko13
The MoUsY spell-checker
There was also the art teacher who emphasised that "colour" has a U in it.
an english teacher at my school once deducted points from a British girl's paper for using the wrong spelling of "gray" and for putting the "u" in colour. which is the proper spelling, anyway? is it "gray" or "grey?" i can never figure it out.

Grey in British English (and some other places too), gray in American English. Gray is also a surname.

I'm glad that Australian English usually uses British spelling.  

The MoUsY spell-checker

Kairakoi

Tipsy Prophet

10,925 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:56 pm
I usually say Ant-E and Th-A, But I also say things like "Wader" Instead of water and people are like, your so weird. And "Begle" instead of Bagle...  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:05 am
I honestly cannot say really. Whatever comes out I guess. With pronoucing something like that I never truly think about them before I say them. It may sound bad I know, but it's just never a thought that crosses my mind. sweatdrop  

Darkyne

Shrocomemos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:12 pm
Darkyne
I honestly cannot say really. Whatever comes out I guess. With pronoucing something like that I never truly think about them before I say them. It may sound bad I know, but it's just never a thought that crosses my mind. sweatdrop

Same here, but only for most words. Some words I know.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:57 pm
The way people pronounce the words 'asume' and 'due/ dew' annoy me greatly. Asume simply because either the s and u are too pronounced, or not pronounced enough, and due/dew because most Americans pronounce it 'doo'. It'd 'de-ew'!!!
Anyway. -.-; Other than that, I'm usually fine, though some dialects annoy me a lot. Like a friend of mine always says 'fud' instead of 'food', and other things too.
But to be honest, I don't have much right to complain because my accent is mostly American. It annoys me, but at least I'm not Geordie (I want a typical English accent, so no offence is meant). But there is one thing, I always lengthen the 'a' in b*****d (not that I swear often). Not on purpose, I just do.

Ithaya

CrzyLuGirl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:48 pm
I speak weird. I have Jersey-meets-country bumpkin accent.
I HATE people who say shtreet and shtrong and shtretch. So I over-enunciate my S's sometimes. It makes me sound like a priss.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:11 am
I usually say "tha", but "thEE" sometimes... I don't really know... sweatdrop  

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

Radioactive Dinosaur

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:22 am
I've always said 'ant-I.' 'Ant-E' just sounds wrong and mispronounced.

As for 'the,' it depends on the context. If I'm putting emphasis on the word (meaning that, if it were typed, the word would be italicized), I'll say 'thee.' Otherwise, I'll probably pronounce it as 'thuh.'  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff