Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Halo: Reach Tourney [Alpha] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Haratio TaFotter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:12 pm
Sorry, but I think I'm out as well. I have a big semester paper that's due on Monday, so I'm pretty much off the Xbox until sometime Monday.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:29 pm
nitnit
I know this is kind of late... but I really don't think 1v1 is the best format for Halo.

Well.

Mainly considering that the following might end up being very unbalanced 1v1

Invisibility - Easily gives you the first shot in a 1v1, as long as you know where your opponent is before cloaking.

Jetpack - This was already removed from arena to test if it's too good, and in 1v1 I can see certain situations with both people having to go jetpack in order to properly chase each other.

Rocket Launcher - need I say more? at least in 4v4 having only 4 rockets is some sort of a penalty. in 1v1, it's almost 4 free kills.

Sniper Rifle - this is only unbalanced with maps with only one sniper (most maps...). Once one person gets the sniper, as long as they're decent with it that's a ridiculous advantage, and unlike the rockets it has much more than 4 shots.

Armor Lock? I know this is arguably the most powerful armor ability... not entirely sure if it's broken for 1v1, but it certainly can act like a reset button for close quarter fights.

I know you're making rules. That's just my opinion - anyone is free to add on to that or offer input.

I agree with what you said about everything but Armor Lock.

It's not arguable... it's an established fact that if someone is good enough with Armor Lock, they can win most any close-quarters fight supposing the weapons they're using are at the same level of damage-capacity.

I don't have a 360, but I've played it with people in my hall (at university) enough to know how to use all the skills well. (Of course, since it's their 360s, I obviously can't join this tournament.)  

pathetic_negi_magician

Haratio TaFotter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:03 pm
pathetic_negi_magician
nitnit
I know this is kind of late... but I really don't think 1v1 is the best format for Halo.

Well.

Mainly considering that the following might end up being very unbalanced 1v1

Invisibility - Easily gives you the first shot in a 1v1, as long as you know where your opponent is before cloaking.

Jetpack - This was already removed from arena to test if it's too good, and in 1v1 I can see certain situations with both people having to go jetpack in order to properly chase each other.

Rocket Launcher - need I say more? at least in 4v4 having only 4 rockets is some sort of a penalty. in 1v1, it's almost 4 free kills.

Sniper Rifle - this is only unbalanced with maps with only one sniper (most maps...). Once one person gets the sniper, as long as they're decent with it that's a ridiculous advantage, and unlike the rockets it has much more than 4 shots.

Armor Lock? I know this is arguably the most powerful armor ability... not entirely sure if it's broken for 1v1, but it certainly can act like a reset button for close quarter fights.

I know you're making rules. That's just my opinion - anyone is free to add on to that or offer input.

I agree with what you said about everything but Armor Lock.

It's not arguable... it's an established fact that if someone is good enough with Armor Lock, they can win most any close-quarters fight supposing the weapons they're using are at the same level of damage-capacity.

I don't have a 360, but I've played it with people in my hall (at university) enough to know how to use all the skills well. (Of course, since it's their 360s, I obviously can't join this tournament.)

I almost don't think you could say use of armor lock has anything to do with skill anymore. Its pretty much gotten to the point where I just stay away from Multi-player matchmaking because all anyone ever does is armor lock all the time.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:28 am
Well, if you look at the bungie news update released yesterday, they're taking armor lock off for december's arena, adding in motion sensors again, and reducing number of grenades on spawn to 1.

Of course, the real "pro" experience will be coming from the MLG playlist coming out mid-december.  

nitnit
Captain

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:06 am
Blarg, I would like to keep more people involved so should we move this to a later date towards peoples holiday break in december? or just to this coming weekend?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:23 am
I would say holiday break...a lot.  

Lt Gigglebottom

Shadowed Valor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:51 am
How the heck did I miss this topic?

Dude. Sign me up if it ever comes around. XBL GT: Necromorph Mike  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash