Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
Holy grail of AK,SKS,MOSIN accessories/ russian BDUs Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:18 pm
Smokestack Lightning
Recon_Ninja_985
Smokestack Lightning
Recon_Ninja_985
Smokestack Lightning
It's a semi auto rifle that's clip fed and takes intermediates which is why I don't like it.

Don't forget SVT-40 and the .50 Beowulf AR-15.
too many SVT-40 rifles were jamomatics. you only see a few good examples of them that work as intended.

there are far superior semi auto 7.62x54 rifles such as the PSL or Russian TIGR

.50 beowulf is just an odd cartridge. its a manstopper but its too uncommon for my liking.

if you wanted a battle rifle in AR platform check out the AR10T

I know theres some .308 AR lowers out there geared for both G3 magazines and FAL mags too

I would go with the G3 compatible lower as the magazines are dirt cheap at 2 dollars or less per magazine.
There's a precursor model that was similar to SVT-38 designed by Siminov but it didn't see much action. It supposedly worked better than a SVT-38 and 40 but because of Stalin's favoritism to Tokarev it never made a mainstay semiauto rifle in the Soviet army.

I like the PSL how readily available are those?
VERY readily available.

as a matter a fact most of them include the proper scope intended for them. (at most places at least)

centerfire systems has regular ones as well as ones that have even been converted to shorter barrels with AK grips and furniture. very nice rifles
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/762x54r_rifles.aspx
they sell the scopes for them here also at 100 dollars since the rifles they seem to have in stock dont seem to have them.

theyre also called FPK's and romak3 and often incorrectly labeled "dragunov"
When I get some money I might buy one.
theres only one thing I dislike.
and that is being limited to 10 round magazines.

there are some people who have converted 30 round BREN magazines to work in the PSL

and some people even welded together 2 PSL mags and used an M1A or FAL magazine spring in them.. I forget which  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:06 pm
Smokestack Lightning
Recon_Ninja_985
Smokestack Lightning
Recon_Ninja_985
Smokestack Lightning
Yet it's clip fed instead of detachable mag fed...
in vietnam, US troops were more worried about victor charlie armed with SKS's than AK's

mainly because the weapon itself forced them into a position where they had to take shots carefully. VC made a lot of US troops into casualties because of it.

you might even say it was it's inability to fire full auto and it's primitive way of loading is what made it effective in untrained hands.

I dont think it's a better weapon by any means, I think of it as sort of a semi auto AK that operates similar to a garand rifle...except cruder
Plus it fires an intermediate cartridge which decreases my respect for it.
so does the AK and most other .mil rifles these days.
intermediate cartridges will still kill you.

just about the only place I believe conventional rifle rounds belong is for a marksman rifle.

the only exception I would probably ever make would be a para FAL as a battle rifle that I wouldnt mind using.
It's a semi auto rifle that's clip fed and takes intermediates which is why I don't like it.

An old, jammy weapon, and a proprietary solution to a non-existent problem?  

Whence it Flows

Dangerous Elder

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:33 am
Smokestack Lightning
.50BEO needs to be reworked. ******** round falls subsonic at 100 yards, meaning beyond that, accuracy is roughly the same as a smoothbore musket. Any range .50BEO is good at, 12ga is better at.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:07 pm
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning
.50BEO needs to be reworked. ******** round falls subsonic at 100 yards, meaning beyond that, accuracy is roughly the same as a smoothbore musket. Any range .50BEO is good at, 12ga is better at.
Well it is essentially an oversized pistol round so what would you expect? Anyways I was just putting that out there since we started mentioning rifles that fired full size cartridges.

I'm not buying an .50 AR ever. The only AR I'll be buying is a Rock River LAR 8.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:31 pm
Smokestack Lightning
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning
Well it is essentially an oversized pistol round so what would you expect? Anyways I was just putting that out there since we started mentioning rifles that fired full size cartridges.

I'm not buying an .50 AR ever. The only AR I'll be buying is a Rock River LAR 8.
I've got a LAR-15. Hell of a gun, never jammed on me once if it had a choice in the matter.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:46 am
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning

I've got a LAR-15. Hell of a gun, never jammed on me once if it had a choice in the matter.
I fell in love with the fact that it's ambidextrious, overall impressive performance, takes dirt cheap FAL mags, and the fact that it's a .308.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:14 am
Smokestack Lightning
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning

I fell in love with the fact that it's ambidextrious, overall impressive performance, takes dirt cheap FAL mags, and the fact that it's a .308.
Unfortunately, it's incompatible with most AR-10 parts, including stocks, IIRC.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:51 pm
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning

I heard it was compatable with most AR-15 parts.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:59 pm
Smokestack Lightning
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning

There's a very specific notice about the Magpul PRS on their page, and another concerning the interchangeability of AR-10 parts across brand lines, so that kind of thing is an issue.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:15 am
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning

There's a very specific notice about the Magpul PRS on their page, and another concerning the interchangeability of AR-10 parts across brand lines, so that kind of thing is an issue.
So interchanging parts between brand lines is a no no?  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:53 am
Smokestack Lightning
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning
Yeah, especially with the LAR. If it used AR-10 mags it'd be one thing, but no... they had to rework some of the internals for that.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:24 pm
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning
Yeah, especially with the LAR. If it used AR-10 mags it'd be one thing, but no... they had to rework some of the internals for that.
yip

thats the thing with G3 and FAL AR10 types

cant mate a FAL compatible lower to a G3 compatible upper and vice versa

you get the convenience of 2 dollar G3 mags or 20 dollar FAL mags but as far as parts go you need them specific for your rifle type  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

SpeedmanRC

Conservative Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:14 pm
two things I'll add is that the PSL when great is only able to handle light ball ammo. HB is known to ware on the reciver. That's why I'll end up getting a Saiga in 308 come tax, and even it the mags are pricey. If I wanted/needed to I can get them in 5 round to make it legal to hunt with. It's a state law here in WI...for white tail.

and you can get detachable mags for a SKS, just they are a little goofy to work but once you work it a few times it's all good.

my sks with a 20 round tapco.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:11 pm
SpeedmanRC
two things I'll add is that the PSL when great is only able to handle light ball ammo. HB is known to ware on the reciver. That's why I'll end up getting a Saiga in 308 come tax, and even it the mags are pricey. If I wanted/needed to I can get them in 5 round to make it legal to hunt with. It's a state law here in WI...for white tail.

and you can get detachable mags for a SKS, just they are a little goofy to work but once you work it a few times it's all good.

my sks with a 20 round tapco.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
the good thing about 7.62x54 is that the majority of ammo available is already light ball....and is way cheaper than .308

7.62x54 = 15 cents per round.
cost per 1000 = $150

.308 = 32 cents per round
cost per 1000 = $320

you dont have to even worry about buying lower cap mags. you can pin standard mags to a lower capacity by yourself

I used to have a yugo sks like yours, had some tapco 20 rounders for it also. traded and got another handgun.  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

SpeedmanRC

Conservative Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:45 pm
well, Tula 308 is about 7 dollars a 20round box, and brown bear 54R is about 8 dollars a 20round box. There is no 440 round tins of 308 full in a warehouse some where...that will make that cheap to shot paper.

I have yet to see 54R go on sale local other then the 440 tins at Dunhams...and that I got for 99 and some cents.

those prices are online, but then there is a decent shipping price. and if I can I like to buy local, from a gun store or outdoor outfitter place. cause ammo goes on sale local a lot.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff