Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Pagans = devil worshippers? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bad Quality Serena

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:11 pm
Xaolu
Xx_Serena-Hime_xX
Azareas Aquarinus
Well, me and my friend, Lauren, were talking about a ritual she did recently, and how she felt and such after it. And then we got on to the concept of Wicca and Paganism. I asked her:

What are the similarities and differences between the two religions?

So she said:

Well, Wiccans are good, because they worship the god and goddess, yet Pagans are evil because they worship Satan.

Then she got me real confused. Since I'm 100% SURE they don't.

Either she's real naive, or just plain stupid.

Sorry to any of you who were offended, it wasn't my intention to offend or upset anyone.

oh,my god,we are totally in two guilds together. 4laugh
anyway.
i think your friend was mislead.
some pagans may worship satan,but not all of them do.
l

If you worshipp satan you can't be a pagan. Satan is a christian invention.

i thought everything that was not worship of the abrahamic god was considered pagan.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:15 pm
Xx_Serena-Hime_xX
i thought everything that was not worship of the abrahamic god was considered pagan.

Every religion that is not Abrahamic is Pagan (or Dharmic depending on your definitions). But Satan-worship might be considered Abrahamic as it's directly descended from the religion of Abraham. If you will. Likewise Christian Gnosticism does not worship the god of Abraham but it's still descended from that religion, so it sort of depends on where you're drawing the lines and what counts as "Abrahamic" and what doesn't.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

streetwisekitty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:11 am
First most of the questions have already been answered, but I wanted to put my two cents in.

I think someone stated earlier that no religion is evil. Its only the people who practice said religion(s) that have evil intents. I agree. Generally, Satanism is about self-growth and self-worship and non-conformity. I have several friends who worship Satan and they are most certainly not evil. They like what Lucifer stands for - both as a literary character and as a religious icon. I think the stereo type rose when some Church Leaders made some Very Bad Decisions and, like a lot of Christians we've heard of, justified them in the name of their god.

I think for the most part, its Wicca that gets confused with Satanism. This is probably because Christians view anyone who doesn't worship God as a Satan-worshiper but Wicca is one of Christianity's biggest competitors as far as Media and such go. So a lot of things have been distorted out of an effort to keep people in line.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:48 am
streetwisekitty
First most of the questions have already been answered, but I wanted to put my two cents in.

I think someone stated earlier that no religion is evil. Its only the people who practice said religion(s) that have evil intents. I agree. Generally, Satanism is about self-growth and self-worship and non-conformity. I have several friends who worship Satan and they are most certainly not evil. They like what Lucifer stands for - both as a literary character and as a religious icon. I think the stereo type rose when some Church Leaders made some Very Bad Decisions and, like a lot of Christians we've heard of, justified them in the name of their god.
I think religions that encourage child rape are pretty evil. Or those that require human sacrifice but hey that's just me. Personally I find such things pretty evil.

Quote:
I think for the most part, its Wicca that gets confused with Satanism. This is probably because Christians view anyone who doesn't worship God as a Satan-worshiper but Wicca is one of Christianity's biggest competitors as far as Media and such go. So a lot of things have been distorted out of an effort to keep people in line.
Considering that Wicca doesn't seek converts I don't see how this could be true. I think it has more to do with Wicca encouraging practices that are contrary to catholic-based versions of Christianity, primarily worshiping other Gods and committing idolatry. If anything has been distorted, it's primarily from people misappropriating the title of Wicca.  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

Bad Quality Serena

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:53 am
Sanguina Cruenta
Xx_Serena-Hime_xX

Every religion that is not Abrahamic is Pagan (or Dharmic depending on your definitions). But Satan-worship might be considered Abrahamic as it's directly descended from the religion of Abraham. If you will. Likewise Christian Gnosticism does not worship the god of Abraham but it's still descended from that religion, so it sort of depends on where you're drawing the lines and what counts as "Abrahamic" and what doesn't.

ahh,thanks for clearing that up.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:07 am
rmcdra
I think it has more to do with Wicca encouraging practices that are contrary to catholic-based versions of Christianity, primarily worshiping other Gods and committing idolatry. If anything has been distorted, it's primarily from people misappropriating the title of Wicca.

I'm having a hard time understanding what you meant by catholic-based. I get the example, but the way it's phrased is confusing me.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:06 am
Esiris
rmcdra
I think it has more to do with Wicca encouraging practices that are contrary to catholic-based versions of Christianity, primarily worshiping other Gods and committing idolatry. If anything has been distorted, it's primarily from people misappropriating the title of Wicca.

I'm having a hard time understanding what you meant by catholic-based. I get the example, but the way it's phrased is confusing me.
post-Nicene Christianity would probably be more accurate wording. My mistake. When Christianity unified after the council Nicene it was catholic (universal) All the sects that are schismatic or in protest are trying to uphold being catholic. Even Mormons and JW use a catholic based bible.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:29 pm
rmcdra
Esiris
rmcdra

post-Nicene Christianity would probably be more accurate wording. My mistake. When Christianity unified after the council Nicene it was catholic (universal) All the sects that are schismatic or in protest are trying to uphold being catholic. Even Mormons and JW use a catholic based bible.

Thanks. That helps.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:34 pm
Esiris
rmcdra
Esiris
rmcdra

Thanks. That helps.
No problem. I have a tendency to forget that I have a different understanding and perspective on Christianity than most.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:46 pm
rmcdra
I think religions that encourage child rape are pretty evil. Or those that require human sacrifice but hey that's just me. Personally I find such things pretty evil.

Where did you read/hear that Satanism encouraged child rape? FYI, Christianity doesn't encourage rape of children either, and yet its the priests who do these things. Does that make Christianity Evil?

Quote:

I'll concede that it has to do with both. I was thinking more of the shows which have drawn people to Wicca and viewed it in a positive light (Buffy, Charmed etc). Granted, neither shows I mentioned use Wicca correctly but it gets the point across.  

streetwisekitty

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:45 pm
streetwisekitty
rmcdra

Where did you read/hear that Satanism encouraged child rape? FYI, Christianity doesn't encourage rape of children either, and yet its the priests who do these things. Does that make Christianity Evil?
Where did I accused Satanism of such? Children are protected and honored in Satanism if I recall correctly. I was just speaking about religions where such behavior is/was permissible and allowable.

Quote:

I'll concede that it has to do with both. I was thinking more of the shows which have drawn people to Wicca and viewed it in a positive light (Buffy, Charmed etc). Granted, neither shows I mentioned use Wicca correctly but it gets the point across.
They seem to show witchcraft and neo-Paganism in a more positive Light, but yes I agree with you.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:07 pm
rmcdra
No problem. I have a tendency to forget that I have a different understanding and perspective on Christianity than most.

Oh! You didn't capitalize Catholic. sweatdrop
Every now and then some Cardinal uses a Rogain enema and goes off on people like me- so I wasn't reading it as you meant it.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:39 pm
Esiris
rmcdra

Every now and then some Cardinal uses a Rogain enema and goes off on people like me- so I wasn't reading it as you meant it.
Ah gotcha. No worries biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:39 pm
Esiris
rmcdra

Ah gotcha. No worries biggrin  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

Neime-chan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:21 pm
Now I'M confused. I know someone who sees themselves as a pagan. I once heard them talking about the difference between a pagan and wiccan and they stated that it was simply that a pagan does not have to follow the wiccan rede. I believe that a wiccan should at least identify that the wiccan rede exists and, even if they don't follow it, they believe it should be follow to the best of their abilities. Idk if this is correct but that's what I've always believed.

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games