View Results

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:25 pm
Smokestack Lightning
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning
L.A.R. Grizzly Mk 1 Long Slide in .357 Magnum that's my dream 1911.

A weak enough cartridge to where I don't have to change the return spring every 1000 rounds.
Why not a Para in .38 Super? It's easily a more effective round (bridging the .38/.357 gap), and it's one actually made to be used in an autopistol.
Really now. You're going to combat a .38 Super to a .357 Magnum?

Notice my longslide statement and then look at the .357 magnum statement in my post. Why do you think I picked it out?

Seriously you think a .38 super longslide compares to a .357 magnum longslide?
Nope, my bad. I misread .357 as .38. Dunno how, but there it is.

Not sure I trust .38/.357/.44 in an autopistol though... revolvers and leverguns don't need any specific powder charge, so I'd expect QC to be lax in that department.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:20 pm
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning

A weak enough cartridge to where I don't have to change the return spring every 1000 rounds.
Why not a Para in .38 Super? It's easily a more effective round (bridging the .38/.357 gap), and it's one actually made to be used in an autopistol.

Notice my longslide statement and then look at the .357 magnum statement in my post. Why do you think I picked it out?

Nope, my bad. I misread .357 as .38. Dunno how, but there it is.

Not sure I trust .38/.357/.44 in an autopistol though... revolvers and leverguns don't need any specific powder charge, so I'd expect QC to be lax in that department.
You'll probably never get to shoot a .357 LAR Grizzly in your life anyway since they are so rare.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:55 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Smokestack Lightning
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning

if we're going to get into other than .45 caliber 1911's I'd opt for a 10mm Kimber eclipse or dan wesson razorback

hit em with the centimeter shooter

though I dont see whats really wrong with .45acp. plenty of killing potential without too much risk of overpenetrating
A .357 magnum longslide 1911 just works a whole lot better than a 10mm or .45 any day.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:02 pm
Smokestack Lightning
Recon_Ninja_985
Smokestack Lightning
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning

if we're going to get into other than .45 caliber 1911's I'd opt for a 10mm Kimber eclipse or dan wesson razorback

though I dont see whats really wrong with .45acp. plenty of killing potential without too much risk of overpenetrating
A .357 magnum longslide 1911 just works a whole lot better than a 10mm or .45 any day.
I wanna know how a rimmed revolver cartridge (357mag) in an auto can ever be considered better or more reliable than a larger, more powerful cartridge that is actually geared for use in an auto. (10mm)

is it an opinion backed by favoritism or what?  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:21 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Smokestack Lightning
Recon_Ninja_985
Smokestack Lightning
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning

I wanna know how a rimmed revolver cartridge (357mag) in an auto can ever be considered better or more reliable than a larger, more powerful cartridge that is actually geared for use in an auto. (10mm)

I thought you meant 10mm auto but you meant 10mm magnum.

They work about the same. Rimmed or not the Grizzly Mk1 was made for an array of conversions each toned to suit rimmed, semi rimmed and rimless cartridges. They still make conversion kits I believe for them. Doubtful your Kimber can go from .10mm to .45 Win Mag.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:23 pm
Smokestack Lightning
Recon_Ninja_985
Smokestack Lightning
Recon_Ninja_985
Smokestack Lightning

They work about the same. Rimmed or not the Grizzly Mk1 was made for an array of conversions each toned to suit rimmed, semi rimmed and rimless cartridges. They still make conversion kits I believe for them. Doubtful your Kimber can go from .10mm to .45 Win Mag.
Why would you want to? If 10mm can't stop it, you shouldn't be using a pistol.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:28 am
Smokestack Lightning
Recon_Ninja_985
Smokestack Lightning
Recon_Ninja_985
Smokestack Lightning

10mm auto is already a type of magnum

by default 10mm auto is larger and more powerful than .357 mag. its what bridges the gap between .357mag and .44 mag

to put it out there why would I even want to change calibers? it just sounds like a waste of money that I could be using on more ammo or another gun  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:31 am
Happy enough with my RIA. Would really like some 3 dots and some cool looking grips, but that's about it.  

Man of the Demoneye

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:52 am
Recon you're missing a big thing. The LAR Grizzly is a rare gun. If you buy the Mk1 you won't need to pay for another gun to get a .45 ACP, 38 super, 9mm Win Mag, 10mm auto, .45 WIn Mag, and a whole list of other calibers. The conversion kits are cheaper than a new gun. All Mk1s are .45 Win Mag to start out with.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:43 pm
Smokestack Lightning
Recon you're missing a big thing. The LAR Grizzly is a rare gun. If you buy the Mk1 you won't need to pay for another gun to get a .45 ACP, 38 super, 9mm Win Mag, 10mm auto, .45 WIn Mag, and a whole list of other calibers. The conversion kits are cheaper than a new gun. All Mk1s are .45 Win Mag to start out with.
gun = rare

parts for rare guns are usually even more rare

thats a lot of different expensive ammo types and separate magazines that I dont feel like buying.

I like to keep as few ammunition types as possible and have a lot of that ammo and a decent amount of magazines to go with them. that way I dont end up spending a fortune  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:54 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Smokestack Lightning
gun = rare

parts for rare guns are usually even more rare

thats a lot of different expensive ammo types and separate magazines that I dont feel like buying.

I like to keep as few ammunition types as possible and have a lot of that ammo and a decent amount of magazines to go with them. that way I dont end up spending a fortune
The parts are still easy to come by. The gun however is a different story though I have seen an Mk 1 in my local gunshop that's been sitting there for some time.

Either or I have a lot of options oto choose from with a Mk 1.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:59 am
this is another one I always found little unique.

also another one ive been contemplating on, a SIG GSR

User Image  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:52 am
This is probably going to sound stupid, but can a gun chambered in .45 Win Mag fire .45 ACP?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:57 pm
Requiem in Mortis
This is probably going to sound stupid, but can a gun chambered in .45 Win Mag fire .45 ACP?
yes you can.

just make sure you brush out the chamber REALLY good and make sure there is no leading left behind. you should do this after each shooting session with them and especially before you go back to shooting .45 win mag again through it.

not doing so could be dangerous

personally I would find it kind of annoying to work out the empty case and reload shot for shot by hand in an auto...  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:00 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Requiem in Mortis
yes you can.

just make sure you brush out the chamber REALLY good and make sure there is no leading left behind. you should do this after each shooting session with them and especially before you go back to shooting .45 win mag again through it.

not doing so could be dangerous
Alright, second question- is anything other than the Grizzly chambered in .45 Win Mag that isn't as rare as the Grizzly and/or drastically more expensive than a standard .45 ACP pistol?  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff