Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:22 am
Requiem in Mortis
Somehow those links lead me to a video of a guy firing an AK-47 after putting so many rounds through it that the heat caught the handguard on fire.

As much as I'm tempted to submit this idea, I'm sure someone someplace has suggested that Jamie and Adam test this myth! I can just picture their test procedure.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:39 pm
Floyd
Requiem in Mortis
Somehow those links lead me to a video of a guy firing an AK-47 after putting so many rounds through it that the heat caught the handguard on fire.

As much as I'm tempted to submit this idea, I'm sure someone someplace has suggested that Jamie and Adam test this myth! I can just picture their test procedure.
I dunno, if it's hot enough to catch a handguard on fire, then it's probably hot enough to cook off a round and blow up the AK.

unless he was referring to the video of the AK that was already on fire from the beginning of the video (most likely because he set it on fire)

I would like to see this myth tested because Im thinking it will be busted  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:21 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Floyd
Requiem in Mortis

I dunno, if it's hot enough to catch a handguard on fire, then it's probably hot enough to cook off a round and blow up the AK.

unless he was referring to the video of the AK that was already on fire from the beginning of the video (most likely because he set it on fire)

Unless the heat got to the magazine I fail to see how the AK would blow up.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:27 am
Smokestack Lightning
Recon_Ninja_985
Floyd
Requiem in Mortis

Nobody would ever build a rifle where that could happen!
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:51 am
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning
Recon_Ninja_985
Floyd
Requiem in Mortis

Nobody would ever build a rifle where that could happen!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:39 pm
Smokestack Lightning
Recon_Ninja_985
Floyd
Requiem in Mortis

chamber,barrel and receiver gets hot as ********, chance of round exploding out of battery, large amount of gas can enter receiver if it does

it might not destroy an AK and some others but it can go kaboom and blow off the receiver cover and maybe the magazine, and possibly one or more rounds inside the magazine can go kaboom as well.
other weapon receivers can explode entirely. either way, its dangerous for any rifle

cook offs are more prone to happen in a closed bolt design, typically when you subject it to abusive long periods of firing without stopping  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:18 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Smokestack Lightning
Recon_Ninja_985
Floyd
Requiem in Mortis

chamber,barrel and receiver gets hot as ********, chance of round exploding out of battery, large amount of gas can enter receiver if it does

it might not destroy an AK and some others but it can go kaboom and blow off the receiver cover and maybe the magazine, and possibly one or more rounds inside the magazine can go kaboom as well.
other weapon receivers can explode entirely. either way, its dangerous for any rifle

cook offs are more prone to happen in a closed bolt design, typically when you subject it to abusive long periods of firing without stopping
Would friction cause this or is it more or less the gas operation or just the firing of a cartridge in general?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:22 pm
Smokestack Lightning
Recon_Ninja_985
Smokestack Lightning
Recon_Ninja_985
Floyd
Requiem in Mortis

Would friction cause this or is it more or less the gas operation or just the firing of a cartridge in general?
mostly due to the fact that it uses gunpowder for obvious reasons. cant really avoid it.

both gas op and closed bolt contribute a lot to heat as well. sort of a downside to most modern weapons because they usually incorporate both.

main reason why most beltfed MG's are open bolt, when you pull the trigger the bolt flies forward, chambers a round and then fires. its just safer. safe is good when you have something made to shoot the hell out of things with and gets really hot

reason 1. its to avoid cookoffs. cant cook off if a round isnt sitting in chamber
reason 2. open bolt designs typically run cooler than closed bolt, more air flow.
regardless, the.mil still trains you to look away when opening the feed tray to prevent injury if something does happen.

personally I think open bolt machineguns feel a little weird to shoot. it feels like the reaction time from when you pull the trigger is slower,and just different than firing something like an m16 or a select fire AK.  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:22 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Smokestack Lightning
Recon_Ninja_985
Smokestack Lightning
Recon_Ninja_985

mostly due to the fact that it uses gunpowder for obvious reasons. cant really avoid it.

both gas op and closed bolt contribute a lot to heat as well. sort of a downside to most modern weapons because they usually incorporate both.

main reason why most beltfed MG's are open bolt, when you pull the trigger the bolt flies forward, chambers a round and then fires. its just safer. safe is good when you have something made to shoot the hell out of things with and gets really hot

reason 1. its to avoid cookoffs. cant cook off if a round isnt sitting in chamber
reason 2. open bolt designs typically run cooler than closed bolt, more air flow.
regardless, the.mil still trains you to look away when opening the feed tray to prevent injury if something does happen.

personally I think open bolt machineguns feel a little weird to shoot. it feels like the reaction time from when you pull the trigger is slower,and just different than firing something like an m16 or a select fire AK.
"Safer" is relative. It's FAR easier to jar the gun into shooting. If you've ever banged an AR's buttstock and the bolt dropped, you'll know what I mean. On an AR, it closes the bolt. On a Thompson, it fires the gun. On the flip side, it IS simply easier to manufacture. "Firing pin? Yeah, we welded a ball bearing to the bolt face."  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff