Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Your Stone Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:00 pm
Hmm. I can't see the actual structure of the stone or texture, which makes this a less accurate guess.

Chalcedony naturally appears in blue, but it's very very pale - not as bright as this - without colour enhancement. Agates can be blue naturally as well - look at holly blue agate, or blue lace agate - but typically those blues have a lot of matrix inclusions to them, or a banded pattern, and again they aren't as bright as your piece appears. There's also a sort of glass called opal or milk glass, that they make in various shades and sometimes try to pass off as opal or moonstone.

This, though, really looks like a dyed agate to me.

Agate actually shares a number of properties with onyx, so it's not a bad analogue. The blue colour might not be natural, but it is going to give the stone qualities associated with the colour blue on its' own.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:35 am
i feel connected to moonstone,but i'm still trying to figure out if it's because of my moon obsession. [which started back when i was a three year old sailor moon junkie]

i have alot of quartz,mostly because i just like them.
i am wearing a rose quarts right now, i like having around me,and i also kind of love the way it's always warm because it lays on my upper chest.

Bad Quality Serena

HorsesOfTheNight

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:07 am
Esiris
I tend more towards shells than stones.
I like working will shells too.

I have stones I like to work with too. I love amethyst, citrine, clear quartz, and rose quartz.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:49 am
Morgandria
Hmm. I can't see the actual structure of the stone or texture, which makes this a less accurate guess.

Chalcedony naturally appears in blue, but it's very very pale - not as bright as this - without colour enhancement. Agates can be blue naturally as well - look at holly blue agate, or blue lace agate - but typically those blues have a lot of matrix inclusions to them, or a banded pattern, and again they aren't as bright as your piece appears. There's also a sort of glass called opal or milk glass, that they make in various shades and sometimes try to pass off as opal or moonstone.

This, though, really looks like a dyed agate to me.

Agate actually shares a number of properties with onyx, so it's not a bad analogue. The blue colour might not be natural, but it is going to give the stone qualities associated with the colour blue on its' own.

Sorry. The picture quality is really bad. It was taken with a webcam. The only camera I can use freely for pictures.

Anyway, close up it has lines going in a V shape. They're best seen when you hold it up to a light.

Blue onyx isn't a dyed stone. It's found in Brazil.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Danny Cheltyka

Invisible Ladykiller

7,650 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:04 pm
My friend got me a black onyx ring for my birthday one year and I've adored it ever since. Whenever I'm not wearing it it feels strange and uncomfortable, like I need to stand up and pace.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:00 am
Azareas Aquarinus

Anyway, close up it has lines going in a V shape. They're best seen when you hold it up to a light.

I work with semi-precious gemstones and sometimes precious ones every day. It's my living. So you have to be educated on how to identify your stones, and now to spot fake stones, if you don't want to get ripped off. A lot of bead dealers won't care they're selling fakes or junk, if they think they'll make a buck off you. Some stones aren't even stones - they're resins and stone dust, mixed with dyes and other things, compressed into shapes. 'Sea-sediment Jasper' comes to mind, as does a lot of pressed amber.

I'm not telling you this simply to be contrary. Just...really, sincerely, factually and scientifically, onyx does not come in blue. The mineral does not include any chemical in its' composition that creates a blue colour in the matrix. If you're being sold blue onyx, it's either banded onyx that's been dyed, an agate that's been dyed, or a piece of marble that's been dyed.

People misrepresent stones -all the time-, because if you can make it seem rare or exotic, you can sell it for more. Some things have 'trade names' as well as scientific names, and the trade name are sometimes misleading or specious.

'Brazil Blue Onyx' is a trade name. It isn't actually onyx, but again is dyed agate.

I'm still willing to bet your stone is a dyed agate, especially if there's a banded pattern in it.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Bad Quality Serena

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:00 pm
hay i have a question.
i have several polished stones in my box that i keep all the stones i use for magic,are these less powerful because they have been processed?
one is an agate that i took out of a necklace i used to have,and then theres two malachite that i took out of a pair of earrings.
i know there has been debate on this subject,but i was just wondering.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:53 pm
I'm really fond of jaspers, blue lace agate and jade. I also absolutely adore adventurine and opal.  

TheHangedQueen

Sparkly Reveler

9,350 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:43 am
Morgandria
Azareas Aquarinus

I work with semi-precious gemstones and sometimes precious ones every day. It's my living. So you have to be educated on how to identify your stones, and now to spot fake stones, if you don't want to get ripped off. A lot of bead dealers won't care they're selling fakes or junk, if they think they'll make a buck off you. Some stones aren't even stones - they're resins and stone dust, mixed with dyes and other things, compressed into shapes. 'Sea-sediment Jasper' comes to mind, as does a lot of pressed amber.

I'm not telling you this simply to be contrary. Just...really, sincerely, factually and scientifically, onyx does not come in blue. The mineral does not include any chemical in its' composition that creates a blue colour in the matrix. If you're being sold blue onyx, it's either banded onyx that's been dyed, an agate that's been dyed, or a piece of marble that's been dyed.

People misrepresent stones -all the time-, because if you can make it seem rare or exotic, you can sell it for more. Some things have 'trade names' as well as scientific names, and the trade name are sometimes misleading or specious.

'Brazil Blue Onyx' is a trade name. It isn't actually onyx, but again is dyed agate.

I'm still willing to bet your stone is a dyed agate, especially if there's a banded pattern in it.

I asked Carol, a local Crystal Shop Owner. And Blue Onyx is a dyed stone. It was originally brown. Apparently the dye enhances the stone.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:45 am
Xx_Serena-Hime_xX
hay i have a question.
i have several polished stones in my box that i keep all the stones i use for magic,are these less powerful because they have been processed?
one is an agate that i took out of a necklace i used to have,and then theres two malachite that i took out of a pair of earrings.

I had a necklace with a blue stone on it, but I took the stone off the string to add to my stone collection. it has a small hole in it where the metal loop was put in. it still has its energies.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Bad Quality Serena

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:59 am
Azareas Aquarinus
Xx_Serena-Hime_xX
hay i have a question.

I had a necklace with a blue stone on it, but I took the stone off the string to add to my stone collection. it has a small hole in it where the metal loop was put in. it still has its energies.

i know it might lose some,because it has been removed from it's natural habitat and mechanically altered,but i'm sure there are ways of giving it energy.
i let my stones sit in a glass of saltwater and sat them in the moonlight on the night of the eclipse,so hopefully it charged them with enough energy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:03 am
Xx_Serena-Hime_xX
Azareas Aquarinus
Xx_Serena-Hime_xX
hay i have a question.

i know it might lose some,because it has been removed from it's natural habitat and mechanically altered,but i'm sure there are ways of giving it energy.
i let my stones sit in a glass of saltwater and sat them in the sunlight on the night of the eclipse,so hopefully it charged them with enough energy.

That's cleansing them. Not charging them.

But them on your windowsill for 24 hours.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Bad Quality Serena

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:09 am
Azareas Aquarinus
Xx_Serena-Hime_xX
Azareas Aquarinus
Xx_Serena-Hime_xX
hay i have a question.

i let my stones sit in a glass of saltwater and sat them in the moonlight on the night of the eclipse,so hopefully it charged them with enough energy.

i sat them in the moonlight,as they were in the water,so i'm sure they charged as well.
also to edit the post i meant moonlight,not sunlight.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:30 pm
Xx_Serena-Hime_xX
Azareas Aquarinus
Xx_Serena-Hime_xX
Azareas Aquarinus
Xx_Serena-Hime_xX
hay i have a question.

i sat them in the moonlight,as they were in the water,so i'm sure they charged as well.
also to edit the post i meant moonlight,not sunlight.

Oh ok, I see.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

xXAyamaXx

6,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:29 pm
i think one special stone for me would be amythest for many resons and i have one very special peice of amythyst that my boyfriend gave me i made it into a nakelace and i all ways wear it with out it i feel funny  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games