Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)
Fictional Witches Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Danny Cheltyka

Invisible Ladykiller

7,650 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:06 pm
Kiki from Kiki's Delivery Service  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:32 pm
Baba Yaga.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baba_Yaga

Gotta love the chicken leg house.
IEditYourWorld  

IEditYourWorld

Verbeley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:51 am
Wolha Wredna(ja) from Profession: Witch by Olga Gromyko

[oh and there were some witches in SailorMoon xd ]  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:29 am
IEditYourWorld
Baba Yaga.

IEditYourWorld
I thought she was some kind of goddess instead of just a witch.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Verbeley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:29 am
Esiris
IEditYourWorld
Baba Yaga.

IEditYourWorld
I thought she was some kind of goddess instead of just a witch.

I pretty much wonder how it was assumed that she needed to to be a goddess before and I've strange feeling that she was turned to such because she would fill the "modern" triple goddess idea of crone. Not like I'm saying she was not an important figuer, but the word goddess may simply not be the luckiest.
And yes, Baba Jaga known from folklore works as archetypical witch -all old and ugly with cat and raven at her side, (and eating children)  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:32 am
The Queen of Narnia and Sally from Practical Magic.  

HorsesOfTheNight

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:42 am
The witches from Practical Magic are totally the bomb!! I also like Polgara, from the Belgariad series, and Sepherenia from the The Elenium series (both by David Eddings). Though technically neither are specifically witches, one is a sorceress and the other is a High Priestess, but magical in their own ways.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:45 am
too2sweet
The witches from Practical Magic are totally the bomb!!

Yes they are! I actually bought the Practical Magic (the dvd) today. Now I have the book and the movie!! ^_^ Kick a** avi Sweet!  

HorsesOfTheNight

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:57 am
Verbeley

I pretty much wonder how it was assumed that she needed to to be a goddess before and I've strange feeling that she was turned to such because she would fill the "modern" triple goddess idea of crone. Not like I'm saying she was not an important figuer, but the word goddess may simply not be the luckiest.
I think the term Goddess gets applied funny sometimes anyway- people call the Loa gods and goddesses all the time, which I can understand. It's not too hard for me to picture the same thing with Baba Jaga.

Sometimes they start out as gods, get turned into monsters, spirits and other things and then later people talk about how they started out as gods to begin with.

Quote:
And yes, Baba Jaga known from folklore works as archetypical witch -all old and ugly with cat and raven at her side, (and eating children)
I think one of the guys from the Pagan Meetup mentioned that the reason they think Baba might have been considered a goddess at one point was because of the House she lived in.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:17 am
Esiris
I think the term Goddess gets applied funny sometimes anyway- people call the Loa gods and goddesses all the time, which I can understand. It's not too hard for me to picture the same thing with Baba Jaga.
Sometimes they start out as gods, get turned into monsters, spirits and other things and then later people talk about how they started out as gods to begin with.
I think one of the guys from the Pagan Meetup mentioned that the reason they think Baba might have been considered a goddess at one point was because of the House she lived in.

That is true that many of the divine beings were during later times turned into more or less harmful demons, but what I meant is rather that the words "goddess" my just not be the right one as she could be very important figuer not being consider as goddess sensu stricto It's because in slavic beliefs there were many "supernatural" being, and spirits not really considered as gods- bit like in case of nymphs, genius and such. The much question is how many gods did Slaves recognized (and when it started, cause it is not from the well beginning)
Anyway sorry for the offtopic ^^'  

Verbeley

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:39 am
Verbeley

That is true that many of the divine beings were during later times turned into more or less harmful demons, but what I meant is rather that the words "goddess" my just not be the right one as she could be very important figuer not being consider as goddess sensu stricto It's because in slavic beliefs there were many "supernatural" being, and spirits not really considered as gods- bit like in case of nymphs, genius and such. The much question is how many gods did Slaves recognized (and when it started, cause it is not from the well beginning)
Anyway sorry for the offtopic ^^'

I got curious so I shot the guy an email.
He basically said it was because the Slavic Pagans had houses on stilts that had deity figures in them- so it's a chance that she was a Goddess and the Chicken foot house is a throwback used in later folk tales.

I know what you mean though- like you said, there are lots of different kinds of beings that get called gods or goddesses (like the Loa). I wonder what makes someone a god verses something else.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:18 pm
HorsesOfTheNight
too2sweet
The witches from Practical Magic are totally the bomb!!

Yes they are! I actually bought the Practical Magic (the dvd) today. Now I have the book and the movie!! ^_^ Kick a** avi Sweet!

Thank you!!

I love that movie!!  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

IEditYourWorld

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:32 pm
Wow, I didn't realize my favorite witch had such a history. You guys are fascinating.

Thanks guys.
IEditYourWorld  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:40 am
Esiris

He basically said it was because the Slavic Pagans had houses on stilts that had deity figures in them- so it's a chance that she was a Goddess and the Chicken foot house is a throwback used in later folk tales.

I know what you mean though- like you said, there are lots of different kinds of beings that get called gods or goddesses (like the Loa). I wonder what makes someone a god verses something else.

I much enjoy the discussion with you and thank you very much for understanding.
Can you also ask that guy about the idea of houses on stilts, as I have never heard about that? Honestly as far as I know the typical Slavic dwelling was a dugout (or half-dugout). [Unless that person thinks about Biskupin (but it was not typical and was not even built by Slavs...)]
Anyway if you could ask him that I would be grateful. 3nodding

@IEditYourWorld- you're very welcome biggrin  

Verbeley

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:49 pm
Verbeley
Esiris

I much enjoy the discussion with you and thank you very much for understanding.
Can you also ask that guy about the idea of houses on stilts, as I have never heard about that? Honestly as far as I know the typical Slavic dwelling was a dugout (or half-dugout). [Unless that person thinks about Biskupin (but it was not typical and was not even built by Slavs...)]
Anyway if you could ask him that I would be grateful. 3nodding

@IEditYourWorld- you're very welcome biggrin

Email away! I'll share details as soon as I get them, but his FB says he's on Vaca- so it might be a few days before he checks. sweatdrop  
*~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games