Does anyone know much about the SCAR? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Whence it Flows

Dangerous Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:47 pm
It's an overpriced, although very nice, rifle. The original idea was a drop-in upper receiver replacement- think like the HK M416. They failed to provide that, but the military decided to overlook it. FN-H is to the military what HK is to the civilian sector, sorta. By somewhat restricting themselves to the original plan, they hamstrung their ability to really do something awesome, instead turning out something with a lot of questionable design, a lot of unnecessary bulk, and a reciprocating charging handle.

Nothing still uses that. Especially when it's in a spot that a magwell grip will destroy your hand.

For the same price, I'd get an ACR.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:37 pm
Pripyat Dawn
It's an overpriced, although very nice, rifle. The original idea was a drop-in upper receiver replacement- think like the HK M416. They failed to provide that, but the military decided to overlook it. FN-H is to the military what HK is to the civilian sector, sorta. By somewhat restricting themselves to the original plan, they hamstrung their ability to really do something awesome, instead turning out something with a lot of questionable design, a lot of unnecessary bulk, and a reciprocating charging handle.

Nothing still uses that. Especially when it's in a spot that a magwell grip will destroy your hand.

What is this weapon?  

Private Sanders

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:09 pm
User Image

User Image  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:35 pm
Jackie Flores
Pripyat Dawn

What is this weapon?
Originially the Magpul Masada, now the Remington/Bushmaster ACR. Look it up.  

Whence it Flows

Dangerous Elder

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:59 pm
Pripyat Dawn
Jackie Flores
Pripyat Dawn

What is this weapon?
I'm wondering why it's sold to civilians by Bushmaster, but to the government by Remington.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:18 pm
Fresnel
Pripyat Dawn
Jackie Flores
Pripyat Dawn

What is this weapon?
I'm wondering why it's sold to civilians by Bushmaster, but to the government by Remington.
production capacity of 2 companies.

not totally uncommon really. I mean how many different companies produced m1 rifles and carbines? and m16's to govt for that matter, i've seen a crap ton of m16's from many 3rd party companies i've never heard of.  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Private Sanders

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:53 pm
Pripyat Dawn
Jackie Flores
Pripyat Dawn

What is this weapon?
It looks great, but the Wikipedia says there was a recall last year because pulling the trigger once would sometimes lead to the weapon firing multiple rounds. Is this an isolated problem or a real issue with the weapon?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:00 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Pripyat Dawn
Jackie Flores
Pripyat Dawn

What is this weapon?

not totally uncommon really. I mean how many different companies produced m1 rifles and carbines? and m16's to govt for that matter, i've seen a crap ton of m16's from many 3rd party companies i've never heard of.
Yeah, I kind of get the M1 thing, though. That was massive wartime production of main battle rifles. Russia was making PPSh's in goddamn auto body and tin shops. The ACR hasn't been officially adopted by any branch of the military AFAIK, and it's not selling in massive numbers to the public, so I don't see why it was necessary to tool up two production companies for it. I didn't know that other companies made M16s, though. I thought Colt had exclusive rights.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:03 pm
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Pripyat Dawn
Jackie Flores
Pripyat Dawn

What is this weapon?

Yeah, I kind of get the M1 thing, though. That was massive wartime production of main battle rifles. Russia was making PPSh's in goddamn auto body and tin shops. The ACR hasn't been officially adopted by any branch of the military AFAIK, and it's not selling in massive numbers to the public, so I don't see why it was necessary to tool up two production companies for it. I didn't know that other companies made M16s, though. I thought Colt had exclusive rights.
maybe they're preparing for it to catch on or for someone to adopt it, idk.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:43 am
The problem with it magdumping was an issue with the conversion to semi-auto for the civilian market. It's been fixed, but was widespread with the first run of them.

The two companies has to do with marketing. They're owned by the same group, along with DPMS and one or two others. Remington has a really good reputation with the military, the R700-based sniper rifles have a perfect customer service record along with a great product being provided. Also, Remington already has contracts with the military, which gives them an edge- why the SCAR was even accepted at all. Bushmaster, on the other hand, is mostly a civilian/law enforcement company. Hence the division of versions.  

Whence it Flows

Dangerous Elder

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:23 pm
Pripyat Dawn
The problem with it magdumping was an issue with the conversion to semi-auto for the civilian market. It's been fixed, but was widespread with the first run of them.

The two companies has to do with marketing. They're owned by the same group, along with DPMS and one or two others. Remington has a really good reputation with the military, the R700-based sniper rifles have a perfect customer service record along with a great product being provided. Also, Remington already has contracts with the military, which gives them an edge- why the SCAR was even accepted at all. Bushmaster, on the other hand, is mostly a civilian/law enforcement company. Hence the division of versions.
Remington Civilian really is more of a bubbagun company, aren't they? The most tactical-looking weapon they offer is the 887 Tactical, and it's got a grand total of 6" of rail.

On the other hand, The 20 and 30mm Bushmaster chainguns' name can't be a coincidence, can it? Wikipedia says McDonnell Douglas and Alliant Techsystems designed and built them, but the name is just too unique to be a coincidence, IMO.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:18 pm
Fresnel
Pripyat Dawn

Remington Civilian really is more of a bubbagun company, aren't they? The most tactical-looking weapon they offer is the 887 Tactical, and it's got a grand total of 6" of rail.

On the other hand, The 20 and 30mm Bushmaster chainguns' name can't be a coincidence, can it? Wikipedia says McDonnell Douglas and Alliant Techsystems designed and built them, but the name is just too unique to be a coincidence, IMO.
Pretty much, more hunting, rather than tactical.

Bushmaster is the name for a family of pitvipers, so yes, it's coincidence. My company name is "Bushmaster" too.  

Whence it Flows

Dangerous Elder

Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas