Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
The Moon Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:54 am
Azareas Aquarinus
Sanguina Cruenta
Azareas Aquarinus
NeonXatu
But all this scientific stuff... I think it's more mystic than it seems. The moon is just so magical.

I believe it's magical. I don't know any Pagan that doesn't.

In what way is it "magical"?

A symbol or image of the divine - The goddess. Divine power.

Well, so? Many things are symbols or images of the divine. I don't really think the moon is terribly more magical than many other things. The moon's a symbol or image of gods as well as goddesses, too. And the sun's a symbol of goddesses.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:19 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Azareas Aquarinus
Sanguina Cruenta
Azareas Aquarinus
NeonXatu
But all this scientific stuff... I think it's more mystic than it seems. The moon is just so magical.

Well, so? Many things are symbols or images of the divine. I don't really think the moon is terribly more magical than many other things. The moon's a symbol or image of gods as well as goddesses, too. And the sun's a symbol of goddesses.

San, this reminds me of the scene in Practical Magic were Sally is telling the police officer about witchcraft. In the movie she talks about symbols. At one point she grabs the police officer's badge and says "Your badge. It’s just a star—just another symbol—your talisman. It can’t stop criminals in their tracks, can it? It has power because you believe it does."  

HorsesOfTheNight

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:36 pm
It always looks like the moon has a face. To me.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:37 pm
You know, the moon is slowly slipping away from the gravitational pull of the the earth. Eventually it will get away from the gravitational pull of the earth and float off into space somewhere. People don't have to worry too much about this b/c I am pretty sure humanity will wiped out before that happens.  

HorsesOfTheNight

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:50 pm
HorsesOfTheNight
Sanguina Cruenta
Azareas Aquarinus
Sanguina Cruenta
Azareas Aquarinus
NeonXatu

San, this reminds me of the scene in Practical Magic were Sally is telling the police officer about witchcraft. In the movie she talks about symbols. At one point she grabs the police officer's badge and says "Your badge. It’s just a star—just another symbol—your talisman. It can’t stop criminals in their tracks, can it? It has power because you believe it does."

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:11 pm
So what if it does rise and set at different times. This certainly can be magickal. Depending who you are the moon can without a doubt be absolutely mystical just as well it can be mundane. Depends on how you see it.  

CursedExile

Dangerous Werewolf

6,500 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Friendly 100

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:24 pm
I fail to see how the moon rising and setting has anything to do with its "magicalness."  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:12 pm
CursedExile
So what if it does rise and set at different times. This certainly can be magickal. Depending who you are the moon can without a doubt be absolutely mystical just as well it can be mundane. Depends on how you see it.

If the moon inspires you to acts of magic, to feeling something mystical or mysterious, or acts as a symbol of certain concepts for you, great. It does not do this for everyone. It can't and doesn't change the fact that the Moon is a big ol' hunt of rock in orbit around another big old hunk of rock. How it appears to rise and set from the Earth's surface is all math and physics.

Maybe moonrocks might have particular energies because of the component materials that make them up, but other than that, the moon isn't inherently magical.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

CursedExile

Dangerous Werewolf

6,500 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:10 pm
oOGarrettOo
I fail to see how the moon rising and setting has anything to do with its "magicalness."

Personally I don't see it as being magickal, however I do venerate the moon alone. Until this topic I hardly even gave a flying rat's a** what time it rose, just so long as I saw it at night.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:12 am
I think a few people have the words Magical and Energy mixed up.

I have heard of a few people getting energy from the Moon and using it in spells, rituals and what not.

It is Magical in a sense of it is cool and interesting. Mysteries. It may be just some hunk of rock but some people like to look at it differently. I myself think the moon is so cool. I find it interesting when it has all these phases, the changes of color, it looks differently around the world. It is just cool.  

Lyke Damn Thats Hawt

7,400 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200

HorsesOfTheNight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:35 am
The moon is beautiful and it does play an important role here on Earth. Oceanographers find it very useful when they are learning about tides and the ocean in general. It is amazing how a piece of a meteor can manipulate the oceans. What I don’t understand though is why the moon sometimes gets more attention than the Earth. I believe that Earth is more amazing than the moon and it is more complex than the moon. The internal structure of the Earth is truly amazing. The way the Earth creates mountain ranges, and deep sea trenches, and volcanoes is astonishing! Also, I find it interesting how the Earth recycles it materials through plate tectonics. I could just keep going on and on about the Earth. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:41 am
Nah man, for really mindblowing stuff, nothing really beats an aurora. I mean the moon is awesome and all, but the aurora will trip you out.

Also, no one seems to be astonished by rainbows. They are stripes of colour projected across the sky. Why are people not more vocal about how awesome that is? (Well, except that one guy on the internet, but we won't go into that.)  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:33 am
I think there is a lot of focus placed on the moon partially because it is very visible (even in cities, it is easy to look up and see the moon in the sky, whereas stars and other celestial bodies aren't always as easy to see). And because it changes, it has always fascinated people with how and why it changes.

A lot of people do take other natural things for granted such as the many incredible things found on our very own planet. Nature is absolutely fascinating, and even just going outside and looking about you can find things that are nifty and captivating...just got to take the time to do it.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:15 am
kyndryana3

A lot of people do take other natural things for granted such as the many incredible things found on our very own planet. Nature is absolutely fascinating, and even just going outside and looking about you can find things that are nifty and captivating...just got to take the time to do it.

I do that pretty much everyday. The day I found my wand, the day this feather I found kept calling to me to pick it up, the day I felt the rain on my face and felt the touch of water. I could go on.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games