Reply Chatterbox/Humor
I need help picking a fighting knife. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:58 am
I was going to suggest the best knife ever: Glock 78 Field Knife. You can stab and cut, stays sharp, light and quick, A+ sheath for retention AND speed/ease of draw, balanced for throwing, tang features kick-a** bottle opener.

But if you're going to be sitting down a lot, you'll want something a lot smaller. A folder would be great. My EDC knife these days is a Smith & Wesson Executive with a brushed gold finish. Locks solid, stays sharp, and the finish is super durable. Only tiny amounts of wear on the ends of the thumb studs and the curve and raise of the belt clip. Wanted a dressier knife but nothing too "fancy" and it's perfect for that. You'd probably rather something in desert tan or OD green. Unfortunately my knowledge on folders is limited.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:06 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

This a good one. A FOX Para trooper knife. Double edged and semi toothed. Rubber handle's nice right up till the part it gets wet but nothing a few Tough Band-Aids or grip tape can't fix.

$36.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Private Sanders

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:03 am
Hmm. I like the Smith & Wesson folders a lot.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:39 pm
Valkyrie Hatter
hollow survival knife handle
That's a guaranteed sign of a poser knife. Hollow handle means it has no tang, which means it will NOT stand up to abuse.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:48 pm
Valkyrie Hatter

This a good one. A FOX Para trooper knife. Double edged and semi toothed. Rubber handle's nice right up till the part it gets wet but nothing a few Tough Band-Aids or grip tape can't fix.

$36.
Are... are those holes for tying it to a stick to make a spear? Because that is AWESOME.

To be perfectly honest, if you're going into an intel MOS, my bet is going to be that you'll be using a stapler more often than any knife, so I wouldn't go overboard with a $200 OPERATOR knife. Just get a nice, simple folder. Schrade, S&W, Gerber, Benchmade, Spyderco, even Browning all make good knives. You'll probably just get laughed at by your buddies when you have to stand up out of your office chair to whip out your polymer-handled, powder-coated, 8" Ka-Bar fighting knife so you can open the package UPS just dropped off.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:12 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NHcTM5IA4

Nuff said  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:37 am
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter

$36.
Are... are those holes for tying it to a stick to make a spear? Because that is AWESOME.

To be perfectly honest, if you're going into an intel MOS, my bet is going to be that you'll be using a stapler more often than any knife, so I wouldn't go overboard with a $200 OPERATOR knife. Just get a nice, simple folder. Schrade, S&W, Gerber, Benchmade, Spyderco, even Browning all make good knives. You'll probably just get laughed at by your buddies when you have to stand up out of your office chair to whip out your polymer-handled, powder-coated, 8" Ka-Bar fighting knife so you can open the package UPS just dropped off.
I've had issues with Gerbers. I've had two and their handles have all fallen apart on me because I use them for everything.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:51 am
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter

$36.

I've had issues with Gerbers. I've had two and their handles have all fallen apart on me because I use them for everything.
You know, come to think about it, I don't think I've ever owned a Gerber either. I thought I had. I've got a handful of Schrades, a Leatherman or two, a Browning, and a 5.11, but I swear I'd had a Gerber once... I think I'm thinking confusing Gerber and Schrade, though.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:52 pm
hey, how much were SOG seal pups again?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:02 pm
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter

$36.

You know, come to think about it, I don't think I've ever owned a Gerber either. I thought I had. I've got a handful of Schrades, a Leatherman or two, a Browning, and a 5.11, but I swear I'd had a Gerber once... I think I'm thinking confusing Gerber and Schrade, though.
My current knife is having the same falling apart issue. Its a folder and it has a finger hole.

It's a Frost Cutlery and it's coated in something similar to kevlar or teflon. I'm not sure which.

I keep it together with electrical tape.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:29 pm
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter

$36.

My current knife is having the same falling apart issue. Its a folder and it has a finger hole.

It's a Frost Cutlery and it's coated in something similar to kevlar or teflon. I'm not sure which.

Kevlar is a thread, so probably teflon. I'd suggest the classic Gerber Mk. II, but the new ones are 440 Stainless, so I think they might not hold up to the reputation they garnered in the 40's and 50's. I'd look up Benchmade and Spyderco, personally. I know Spyderco makes a damn fine knife, and their price range starts at about $20 for some simple folders and goes up from there. Way up.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:51 am
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter

$36.

Kevlar is a thread, so probably teflon. I'd suggest the classic Gerber Mk. II, but the new ones are 440 Stainless, so I think they might not hold up to the reputation they garnered in the 40's and 50's. I'd look up Benchmade and Spyderco, personally. I know Spyderco makes a damn fine knife, and their price range starts at about $20 for some simple folders and goes up from there. Way up.
I'm not complaining. The blade on this Frost knife has stood up to some s**t. I've only had to sharpen it once in the time I've had it.

My knife is going to be a FOX paratrooper.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Whence it Flows

Dangerous Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:08 pm
FKMD TACTICAL KUKHRI.

It's Italian, Tactical, and a Kuhkri. What more could you want?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:29 pm
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter

I'm not complaining. The blade on this Frost knife has stood up to some s**t. I've only had to sharpen it once in the time I've had it.

My knife is going to be a FOX paratrooper.
the only thing I see that sucks is the sheath the FOX comes with.
oh, and the other side is slab sided which is icky. kinda makes me wanna ask what happened to the other half

i'd opt to make a sheath out of kydex if I ever got one.  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:39 pm
I'm starting to like the idea of a mora knife now. specifically the 711G

sure it may not have the appearance of a fighting knife but it's affordable, has a carbon blade rather than stainless and is getting some pretty good reviews  
Chatterbox/Humor

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff