Submit

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:18 pm
Well I know the PLA put money into a project like that. They produced a rifle that was more or less a semi man portable shoulder fire artillery piece. But it was massively impractical. So the project was cut. However it was interesting to see that it could actually be done.
Also the soviets built a rifle that if fired would knock you flat on your a** because if it didnt you would die of recoil.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:33 pm
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
The Denel NTW-20 is primarily a 20mm, but with a quick barrel and bolt swap can be changed to 14.5 for longer-ranged work.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Now I know what Bungie based the sniper rifile off of.

Sadly a PTRD gets better range than this thing does. Hell a .338 gets better range.
The PTRD doesn't break into major components using only a 20mm round as a wrench, and store in a backpack for trekking into the most "there's no ******** way there's a sniper there" places.
*Facepalm* Fresnel, horrible ******** range for the round it's firing.

Not all shots can or should be taken from a mile or more out.  

ArmasTermin

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:34 pm
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
The Denel NTW-20 is primarily a 20mm, but with a quick barrel and bolt swap can be changed to 14.5 for longer-ranged work.

Sadly a PTRD gets better range than this thing does. Hell a .338 gets better range.
The PTRD doesn't break into major components using only a 20mm round as a wrench, and store in a backpack for trekking into the most "there's no ******** way there's a sniper there" places.
I almost get the impression that they're understating the ability of the gun because they don't have the capability of testing it at range. Either that, or they're taking the Chinese route of "a 2MOA sniper rifle is good enough, right?"  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:57 pm
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel

I almost get the impression that they're understating the ability of the gun because they don't have the capability of testing it at range. Either that, or they're taking the Chinese route of "a 2MOA sniper rifle is good enough, right?"
South Africa tends to not picture design flaws ahead of time before they make a gun. This is why the Striker 12 came to be. People only like it because it's cool looking but otherwise impractical.

The PTR rifles were impractical but very effective against early German tanks and good at splattering a truck load of krauts pretty easily.

Given the refinement I explained impractical shouldn't be a problem because you're too damn far away for the enemy to return fire and hit you.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items