Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Deities Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CursedExile

Dangerous Werewolf

6,500 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:13 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Azareas Aquarinus
@Sang: I see. So if I worked with, say, an Egyptian god in a circle, it would offend them, and also seem alien to them?

@Horses: I feel calling on nameless deities can be a bad risk, and I sometimes feel like I'm working with nothing.

I genuinely don't know enough about Egyptian ritual form to give you much feedback there, to be honest. I don't think the concept of a circle as such is the thing so much as the ceremonial framework commonly used within them.

Your concern is an honest one, but your way of solving it is not the right way to go about it. I think you should concentrate on reading more for the time being. Morg is right - patience is the key at the moment. I know that's difficult particularly when you're young and have found something exciting.

CursedExile
Depends what your dogma is. I am partial to Diana and Cernunnos. I feel a particularly special connection to Diana/Artemis. Just google goddesses and gods and if you like what you read then delve deeper into researching that particular deity. Get to know them and if they are compatible with you then ask them to accept you as your patron. Keeping in sight of course if you apart of a coven or you practice solitary craft.

We've actually discussed the issues presented about inviting Diana and Cernunnos into the same circle. It's likely to be highly offensive to both gods to pair them together - Diana is a virgin goddess, Cernunnos a god with a large phallus. Diana is Roman, Cernunnos is what she would consider a "barbarian".

I have taken that into consideration. It's part of the reason why I celebrate Diana's image alone. I just have always slotted the male aspect as being Herne or Cernunnos. Either/or without drilling myself on the fact that contemporary views in that epoch would have collided. lol  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:16 pm
Esiris
Azareas Aquarinus
@Sang: I see. So if I worked with, say, an Egyptian god in a circle, it would offend them, and also seem alien to them?
What I know about Egyptian gods isn't much- but I know that there are things that were banned from the temple for being unclean, including animal products like wool, blood and stuff.

Purity is super important to the Egyptian Gods, yes. I've been to a few Egyptian temple-style rites, and the purifications before even being fit to purify one's robes before a final purification right at the entrance to the temple...it's -thorough-, I'll say that much.

It's hard to say what deities will do when called into a neo-pagan circle-style ritual. Sometimes the elemental correspondances for ENP, and for the culture in question, don't match. The entire space-between-the-worlds thing may not work for some gods, who might prefer an open natural space that's simply been hallowed for the rite, or their own specifically consecrated temple. Some of them might be ok with the idea of a circle, and some are going to have some serious problems with what they might consider an inhospitable or unsuitable space for them to occupy - our standards of cleanliness and cleansing may not be the same as a deity's, who may object to certain objects we ourselves take for granted, or consider holy.

The ENP circles that I've seen work the best are heavier on cultural and lore-based methods, and less emphatic on Wiccan-flavoured things, like the male/female dyad, the Watchtowers, etc.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:22 pm
Morgandria
Esiris
Azareas Aquarinus
What I know about Egyptian gods isn't much- but I know that there are things that were banned from the temple for being unclean, including animal products like wool, blood and stuff.

Purity is super important to the Egyptian Gods, yes. I've been to a few Egyptian temple-style rites, and the purifications before even being fit to purify one's robes before a final purification right at the entrance to the temple...it's -thorough-, I'll say that much.

It's hard to say what deities will do when called into a neo-pagan circle-style ritual. Sometimes the elemental correspondances for ENP, and for the culture in question, don't match. The entire space-between-the-worlds thing may not work for some gods, who might prefer an open natural space that's simply been hallowed for the rite, or their own specifically consecrated temple. Some of them might be ok with the idea of a circle, and some are going to have some serious problems with what they might consider an inhospitable or unsuitable space for them to occupy - our standards of cleanliness and cleansing may not be the same as a deity's, who may object to certain objects we ourselves take for granted, or consider holy.

The ENP circles that I've seen work the best are heavier on cultural and lore-based methods, and less emphatic on Wiccan-flavoured things, like the male/female dyad, the Watchtowers, etc.

Thanks Morg.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:23 pm
CursedExile
I have taken that into consideration. It's part of the reason why I celebrate Diana's image alone. I just have always slotted the male aspect as being Herne or Cernunnos. Either/or without drilling myself on the fact that contemporary views in that epoch would have collided. lol

I've seen a lot of people talking about Herne lately. Just out of interest, why do you personally conflate him with Cernunnos? What has led you to think Herne is a god?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

CursedExile

Dangerous Werewolf

6,500 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:49 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
CursedExile

I've seen a lot of people talking about Herne lately. Just out of interest, why do you personally conflate him with Cernunnos? What has led you to think Herne is a god?

I'm aware Herne is more of an old folk tale if anything really. I've just heard so much equating with Cernunnos that I've mindlessly joined the Bandwagon.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:39 am
Esiris
Azareas Aquarinus

I see. So these things were seen as impure to the Egyptian gods?  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:04 am
Sanguina Cruenta
Azareas Aquarinus

@Horses: I feel calling on nameless deities can be a bad risk, and I sometimes feel like I'm working with nothing.

I genuinely don't know enough about Egyptian ritual form to give you much feedback there, to be honest. I don't think the concept of a circle as such is the thing so much as the ceremonial framework commonly used within them.

Your concern is an honest one, but your way of solving it is not the right way to go about it. I think you should concentrate on reading more for the time being. Morg is right - patience is the key at the moment. I know that's difficult particularly when you're young and have found something exciting.

Okay, then. Thank you. I'll try to patient.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:30 pm
Well, I've done a little studying on deities. I got a little knowledge, too.

I asked my pendulum, as well as Cernunnos and Aradia, in a small rite I did, if it was okay if I paired them. Their energy felt balanced, and compatible. So I guess that's a good thing. I want to read about Greek and Roman deities. I have a calling from Poseidon/Neptune. I also seem to have a calling from Hecate. I know she's seen as the Crone aspect of the Triple Goddess and Goddess of the Crossroads.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:47 pm
Azareas Aquarinus

I asked my pendulum, as well as Cernunnos and Aradia, in a small rite I did, if it was okay if I paired them. Their energy felt balanced, and compatible. So I guess that's a good thing. I want to read about Greek and Roman deities. I have a calling from Poseidon/Neptune. I also seem to have a calling from Hecate. I know she's seen as the Crone aspect of the Triple Goddess and Goddess of the Crossroads.

Aradia is not a goddess. Aradia is a character in "Gospel of the Witches" by Leland.

Hecate is not a crone. She is a maiden goddess. She is not part of any sort of maiden-mother-crone triune goddess figure.

Your little studying is insufficient. You really need to put actual time and work into this. We counselled patience, and told you it would take time. It's been like two days. Serious patience. This may take you months or years.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:50 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Azareas Aquarinus

Aradia is not a goddess. Aradia is a character in "Gospel of the Witches" by Leland.

Hecate is not a crone. She is a maiden goddess. She is not part of any sort of maiden-mother-crone triune goddess figure.

Your little studying is insufficient. You really need to put actual time and work into this. We counselled patience, and told you it would take time. It's been like two days. Serious patience. This may take you months or years.

Wasn't Aradia daughter to Diana?

Ah I see.

Yeah. I'll put time into it. Can you recommend any useful sites or sources?  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:10 pm
Azareas Aquarinus

Ah I see.

As we have discussed, Diana is a virgin goddess. Most emphatically so.

Theoi.com for Greek and Roman deities.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:17 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Azareas Aquarinus

Ah I see.

As we have discussed, Diana is a virgin goddess. Most emphatically so.

Theoi.com for Greek and Roman deities.

Yeah.

Thank you  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Lyke Damn Thats Hawt

7,400 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:08 pm
I have three deities that I work with on a daily basis. Thoth, Isis/Mary and Maat.

I feel you should just let the deities come to you rather then seek them out. It is a process that does require patience and time. Mediation also helps some too. Also, I recommend just reading books about different deities. Just to be well informed. Also if something doesn't feel right....don't force it.

Example: I have been learning about Egyptian type rituals but for some reason....it doesn't feel right. Which is odd because the three deities I work with...are Egyptian. Hoped this helps. smile  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:20 pm
Perhaps some introspection is in order, if you feel uncomfortable with the way your gods prefer to be worshipped?

I did not know another name for Aset was Mary. It does not seem Egyptian. Is it a foreign name for her?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games