Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:46 am
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Production wise.

@ Rabble: Oh yes a 9mm hollow point with a nail is going to cost more than a FMJ 5.7 bullet tip to produce.

Besides the Russians are already ahead in what you're talking about. They have a PDW that fires 9mm +P+ ammo that gets the same performance as a 5.7 only the wounds are much more devastating.
Actually, I don't think it would be very hard at all to cast a copper hollowpoint around a hardened steel point. It's made even easier by copper having a lower melting point.
It's probably not as easy as producing an FMJ.
Neither is producing HPBT, but it still sells for under a buck a round. Point is, regular Hydrashok ammo looks pretty damn tough to manufacture to begin with. Making the center post steel wouldn't change that much.
Interesting but you still need to get that bullet to fly at a high enough velocity to penetrate armor. I think the Russians are actually onto something there.
Well, +P+ will do that. Actually, it'd probably be MORE effective in revolvers, because with those anachronistically large cases, you could probably load the round to ++P++ (or whatever the standards are above +P+, anyway), not that the gun would survive.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:05 am
VBR belgium has developed quite a few AP 9mm with different size penetrators.  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:44 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Those are pretty much the same as the French THV rounds, right? They're about as effective on raw flesh as a 9mm ball, which is to say sort of but not that great. I'm thinking we could do better.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:05 am
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Those are pretty much the same as the French THV rounds, right? They're about as effective on raw flesh as a 9mm ball, which is to say sort of but not that great. I'm thinking we could do better.
I dunno, 9mm ball can either suck or not suck.

it killed plenty of people in WW2 but then you hear complaints in desert storm and the wars going on now that it isnt so great.

at least its a lot better than having something tiny like 5.7 or what the mp7 shoots.  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:43 am
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Production wise.

@ Rabble: Oh yes a 9mm hollow point with a nail is going to cost more than a FMJ 5.7 bullet tip to produce.

Besides the Russians are already ahead in what you're talking about. They have a PDW that fires 9mm +P+ ammo that gets the same performance as a 5.7 only the wounds are much more devastating.
Actually, I don't think it would be very hard at all to cast a copper hollowpoint around a hardened steel point. It's made even easier by copper having a lower melting point.
It's probably not as easy as producing an FMJ.
Neither is producing HPBT, but it still sells for under a buck a round. Point is, regular Hydrashok ammo looks pretty damn tough to manufacture to begin with. Making the center post steel wouldn't change that much.
Interesting but you still need to get that bullet to fly at a high enough velocity to penetrate armor. I think the Russians are actually onto something there.
Well, +P+ will do that. Actually, it'd probably be MORE effective in revolvers, because with those anachronistically large cases, you could probably load the round to ++P++ (or whatever the standards are above +P+, anyway), not that the gun would survive.

I think I'll stick to the ol' Tokarev round.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff