Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:29 am
Fresnel
Oh wait, it just occurred to me... the OP is a PSL magazine, isn't it? For some retarded reason I was thinking it was a 5-round AK mag, which is why I suggested the Enfield K.
yep. trying to change the chambering on a mosin is too much, I only mean to change the way it feeds and to make the gun shorter.

I like the idea of a mosin that takes PSL mags. mainly because there's really no other mag fed x54 bolt actions out there.

it would up the mosin's capacity to 10 rounds and allow for faster reloading. i'm going to make a scout rifle out of it.

among some of the other mods, i'm gonna polish the chamber to make sure the bolt always runs smoothly without getting stuck, and i'm probably putting a LER scope or aimpoint mircro on the rear sight base to complete the scout-ification process  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:17 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Oh wait, it just occurred to me... the OP is a PSL magazine, isn't it? For some retarded reason I was thinking it was a 5-round AK mag, which is why I suggested the Enfield K.
yep. trying to change the chambering on a mosin is too much, I only mean to change the way it feeds and to make the gun shorter.

I like the idea of a mosin that takes PSL mags. mainly because there's really no other mag fed x54 bolt actions out there.

it would up the mosin's capacity to 10 rounds and allow for faster reloading. i'm going to make a scout rifle out of it.

among some of the other mods, i'm gonna polish the chamber to make sure the bolt always runs smoothly without getting stuck, and i'm probably putting a LER scope or aimpoint mircro on the rear sight base to complete the scout-ification process
Gotta say, making a modern scout rifle out of something with the... quality of a Mosin sounds like a bad idea. Not that it wouldn't work, but that it could be done better with another rifle. I'd recommend that new Ruger, but I'm sure you could convert a Mosin for well under $995.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:40 pm
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

Gotta say, making a modern scout rifle out of something with the... quality of a Mosin sounds like a bad idea. Not that it wouldn't work, but that it could be done better with another rifle. I'd recommend that new Ruger, but I'm sure you could convert a Mosin for well under $995.
I don't really see why not. it's a decently accurate, reliable and rugged platform, it's cheap, the ammo's cheap, i'm cheap, everything's cheap.
the reason why i'm avoiding an american rifle and caliber is because none of them fit my criteria

the sticky bolt issue is an easy fix. and that's just about the only problem a mosin would ever give you. once that's gone you're left with a damn good rifle that can take a serious beating and not complain.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:14 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

I don't really see why not. it's a decently accurate, reliable and rugged platform, it's cheap, the ammo's cheap, i'm cheap, everything's cheap.
the reason why i'm avoiding an american rifle and caliber is because none of them fit my criteria

the sticky bolt issue is an easy fix. and that's just about the only problem a mosin would ever give you. once that's gone you're left with a damn good rifle that can take a serious beating and not complain.
How do you fix a sticky bolt? I thought that was a problem of the design, not the age/condition of the rifle. I thought it was part of the "c**k on open" design. Hell, I honestly don't even know why so many rifles c**k on open. c**k on close is so much simpler, and the long run-up throw you get until a spring engages makes it incredibly easy to use, too.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:20 am
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

How do you fix a sticky bolt? I thought that was a problem of the design, not the age/condition of the rifle. I thought it was part of the "c**k on open" design. Hell, I honestly don't even know why so many rifles c**k on open. c**k on close is so much simpler, and the long run-up throw you get until a spring engages makes it incredibly easy to use, too.
it's fixed by polishing the chamber. the reason why the bolt sticks is because of burs left behind from manufacturing as well as a layer of cosmoline that never seems to go away. the polishing gets rid of both of those thus no more stuck cases that halt the bolt's movement.

polishing parts of the bolt and doing some modding to the spring also has been shown to make a mosin run more smoothly.

theres a few vids on youtube that walk you through it.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:33 am
SpeedmanRC
soon saigas might be banned...the saiga 12 is under a ban. something with that it sports no sporting purpose. The ATF had released something saying this...oh a month or two ago. looks like I'll just get a used 12ga semi auto rem or moss.

If you haven't already read their report....don't. I got to page 10 and saw "semiautomatic assault rifle" and my head exploded.

@OP- That is an awesome idea.  

Man of the Demoneye

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:32 am
I want to get a mosin, and the store where I got my Mossberg has some, but they were $290 or higher. One was in the 400s. gonk  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:21 am
Lt Buckner
I want to get a mosin, and the store where I got my Mossberg has some, but they were $290 or higher. One was in the 400s. gonk
and I just got one for 170OTD, and it was a nice china M44 carbine. harder to find the the M91/30  

SpeedmanRC

Conservative Hunter

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:53 pm
SpeedmanRC
Lt Buckner
and I just got one for 170OTD, and it was a nice china M44 carbine. harder to find the the M91/30

They WERE cleaned up and nice looking though. And they had the side folding bayonets.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:40 pm
Lt Buckner
SpeedmanRC
Lt Buckner

They WERE cleaned up and nice looking though. And they had the side folding bayonets.
the only side folders were on the M44. I had got my other M44 last year for $95OTD.  

SpeedmanRC

Conservative Hunter

Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas