Submit

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:56 am
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
tailsmen
well i think they put it as a number 6 proplem not that reacore # 4 has a fire this is like chernobyl
Nah, the USSR was retarded enough to use carbon in their reactor cores, which was not only the cause of the explosion (apparently carbon zip-kicks uranium fission), but it was also the burning substance in question. Anyone who's ever tried to put out magnesium can tell you, you do NOT ******** with a metal fire, it will chew you up and spit you out. Every common fire extinguisher just makes magnesium angrier.
If I recall they make special fire extinguishers for class D (metal) fires. Then again getting enough of the chemicals to flood a reactor may not be easy.
They do now, but they were a new technology when Chernobyl happened. Even today they're rather uncommon, and only stocked in places where metal fires are likely.

Oh ********, apparently there's a graphite-based class D extinguisher. Can you imagine the kind of heat needed to light a fire extinguisher material on fire? O_O
Well I was thinking about right now if the problems in the Japanese reactors cause a metal fire.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:54 am
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
tailsmen
well i think they put it as a number 6 proplem not that reacore # 4 has a fire this is like chernobyl
Nah, the USSR was retarded enough to use carbon in their reactor cores, which was not only the cause of the explosion (apparently carbon zip-kicks uranium fission), but it was also the burning substance in question. Anyone who's ever tried to put out magnesium can tell you, you do NOT ******** with a metal fire, it will chew you up and spit you out. Every common fire extinguisher just makes magnesium angrier.
If I recall they make special fire extinguishers for class D (metal) fires. Then again getting enough of the chemicals to flood a reactor may not be easy.
They do now, but they were a new technology when Chernobyl happened. Even today they're rather uncommon, and only stocked in places where metal fires are likely.

Oh ********, apparently there's a graphite-based class D extinguisher. Can you imagine the kind of heat needed to light a fire extinguisher material on fire? O_O
Well I was thinking about right now if the problems in the Japanese reactors cause a metal fire.
There's likely nothing in there to cause a metal fire with. In the USSR, the control rods were tipped with carbon. You take the safety feature meant to slow the reaction process, and make it so in order to be implemented, it has to first hasten the reaction process before it can slow down. That's just RETARDED. It's like putting a trigger in a grenade that trips if you try to re-insert the pin. "Don't want it to go off? Well now it's gonna go off IN YOUR HAND."  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Artyom -Metro 2033-

Dangerous Raider

4,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:38 am
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
tailsmen

There's likely nothing in there to cause a metal fire with. In the USSR, the control rods were tipped with carbon. You take the safety feature meant to slow the reaction process, and make it so in order to be implemented, it has to first hasten the reaction process before it can slow down. That's just RETARDED. It's like putting a trigger in a grenade that trips if you try to re-insert the pin. "Don't want it to go off? Well now it's gonna go off IN YOUR HAND."

why does the thing with the gredade sound like something i would do
but still they have a fire in the number 4 reacore and putting saltwater in there is just slowing the fire not stoping it and they can't get anyone near the plant anymore so they don't know how big that fire is so they are guessing so it's like looking at the end of a RPG it kills both ways one way fast the other slow  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:20 pm
The newest stories from Japan indicate at least one spent fuel rod storage tank was discovered to be empty of cooing water.

The storage pools are not as well built as the reactor chambers, so this could be a far more dangerous situation.

Some experts claim this isn't as dangerous as the cores, but who honestly knows? Has anyone ever been stupid enough to test this at full scale?

http://live.reuters.com/Event/Japan_earthquake2?Page=95  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:05 pm
Floyd
The newest stories from Japan indicate at least one spent fuel rod storage tank was discovered to be empty of cooing water.

The storage pools are not as well built as the reactor chambers, so this could be a far more dangerous situation.

Some experts claim this isn't as dangerous as the cores, but who honestly knows? Has anyone ever been stupid enough to test this at full scale?

Oh, no, that's actually quite easy to fix. Where the reactor is built to generate heat, the cooling ponds are built to cool the fuel. It's the difference between the food in the microwave that won't turn off exploding and the food in the refrigerator that stopped being cold exploding. The rods are too far apart to generate enough heat for a meltdown, the water is really only there to speed the cooling process and to shield the workers from radiation. One of the side effects is this ******** awesome neon blue glow as the water slows hyperfast particles...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:07 pm
tailsmen
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser

but still they have a fire in the number 4 reacore and putting saltwater in there is just slowing the fire not stoping it and they can't get anyone near the plant anymore so they don't know how big that fire is so they are guessing so it's like looking at the end of a RPG it kills both ways one way fast the other slow
Well, fires is fires. Sometimes they're just hard to put out. A lot of houses burn to the ground, and it's not the fault of the local fire department's reaction time or effectiveness, sometimes you just can't stop it and just have to let it burn.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Maddness91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:29 am
Fresnel
Floyd

Oh, no, that's actually quite easy to fix. Where the reactor is built to generate heat, the cooling ponds are built to cool the fuel. It's the difference between the food in the microwave that won't turn off exploding and the food in the refrigerator that stopped being cold exploding. The rods are too far apart to generate enough heat for a meltdown, the water is really only there to speed the cooling process and to shield the workers from radiation. One of the side effects is this ******** awesome neon blue glow as the water slows hyperfast particles...

cherenkov radiation! In Soviet Russia, blue light travels faster than light!  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:36 am
Maddness91
Fresnel
Floyd

cherenkov radiation! In Soviet Russia, blue light travels faster than light!
I came thiiiis close to being able to see it firsthand, but Radiation Protection was a three-day class, and my boss didn't want me out of commission for an entire week (4x10 work week, one day for site access class) for a qualification I'd never use. If I had gotten it, I could have signed up for a tour of the radiological protected area, including the cooling pond. As it was, I only got a tour of the control room and turbine building. Pressurized steam and outside temperatures in the desert make the top floor of the turbine building a VERY HOT PLACE. I think it broke 140°, and there were two or four little air conditioned booths that workers were required to stay in for so long every hour by OSHA. xd  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Maddness91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:37 am
Fresnel
tailsmen
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser

Well, fires is fires. Sometimes they're just hard to put out. A lot of houses burn to the ground, and it's not the fault of the local fire department's reaction time or effectiveness, sometimes you just can't stop it and just have to let it burn.
a spent reactor fuel pool isn;t a house tho.... ur house burns down, the house next to u MAY get some smoke damage.... ur reactor fuel pool burns down, ur surrounding 100 miles gets some radiation poisoning... just because the fuel is spent just means the radioactivity is below a usable level to be used in our reactors... not that it's not heavily radioactive anymore  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:44 am
Maddness91
Fresnel
tailsmen
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser

a spent reactor fuel pool isn;t a house tho.... ur house burns down, the house next to u MAY get some smoke damage.... ur reactor fuel pool burns down, ur surrounding 100 miles gets some radiation poisoning... just because the fuel is spent just means the radioactivity is below a usable level to be used in our reactors... not that it's not heavily radioactive anymore
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's not potentially bad, I'm just saying it's not unfixable. It's not a metal fire, is all I'm saying; if they dump enough water on it, it will go out. They just need moar water. Water stops the fire, water fills the pool... everyone wins. Hell, they could even just dump boron sand into the fuel pool. It has a massively high melting point, and it's great at killing uranium reactions.

Man, someone should build a nuclear reactor underwater. If everything goes to hell and meltdown is imminent, blow a hole in the containment building and let the ocean rush in. Try and boil THAT, ********!  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Maddness91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:21 am
Fresnel
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's not potentially bad, I'm just saying it's not unfixable. It's not a metal fire, is all I'm saying; if they dump enough water on it, it will go out. They just need moar water. Water stops the fire, water fills the pool... everyone wins. Hell, they could even just dump boron sand into the fuel pool. It has a massively high melting point, and it's great at killing uranium reactions.

Man, someone should build a nuclear reactor underwater. If everything goes to hell and meltdown is imminent, blow a hole in the containment building and let the ocean rush in. Try and boil THAT, ******** class="clear">
speaking of underwater, i always had the idea of building a fission reactor at the bottom of the Marianas trench xd fission requires super high heat and pressure, the trench has super high pressure, so half the work is done for you! only problem would be getting down there easily.... oh well xp  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:46 am
Maddness91
Fresnel

Man, someone should build a nuclear reactor underwater. If everything goes to hell and meltdown is imminent, blow a hole in the containment building and let the ocean rush in. Try and boil THAT, ******** class="clear">
speaking of underwater, i always had the idea of building a fission reactor at the bottom of the Marianas trench xd fission requires super high heat and pressure, the trench has super high pressure, so half the work is done for you! only problem would be getting down there easily.... oh well xp
Not even CLOSE to enough pressure. It might be a bit of a boost, but the logistical problems would outweigh that easily.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:14 am
This is pretty interesting stuff. I'll confess that the limits of my knowledge on radiation and nuclear material come from playing the Fallouts and Metal Gear Solid 3. lol  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:47 am
ArmasTermin
This is pretty interesting stuff. I'll confess that the limits of my knowledge on radiation and nuclear material come from playing the Fallouts and Metal Gear Solid 3. lol
HAHAHA yeah! what;s all this talk of microseverts?!?! I want my radiation measured in rads so i can understand how mutated i am! xd can you imagine how much better off our generation would be if one mission in Fallout was to repair a damaged reactor? that s**t would have been taken care of in 20 mins using 20x scrap metal, a fusion battery, and and some radaway xd  

Maddness91

Artyom -Metro 2033-

Dangerous Raider

4,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:24 am
one big problem is that there is no pumps in the racores working as they went up the first day so they been dumping saltwater in there and that not good thing to do  
Chatterbox/Humor

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff