Citizen

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:38 am
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Holy s**t, I just got around to watching the OP video... jesus ******** that's a good demo on how dangerous dragonsbreath is. It says "do not use in a semi-automatic shotgun". You know why? Human delay. Every time he pumps the shotgun, the chamber belches flame out the action. If that happened any faster, it'd be BAD NEWS. Also, notice some ricochets set those huge ******** hay bales on fire at the very end. That s**t ALWAYS HAPPENS.
side effect of magnesium pellets i guess.

good thing about dragons breath is in addition to setting you aflame, it also ******** you up a bit like shot
Magnesium is a really light metal, so it loses velocity incredibly fast.
use bigger pellets?

I got it, maybe someone should get some of those magnesium fire starters and break them up into pieces larger than what you'd find in standard dragon's breath, and see how those work. fiery dragon shards
Bigger pellets burn longer, providing a MUCH bigger fire hazard.
What about magnesium coated buckshot?
I have a sneaking suspicion that doing so would cause the lead to flash-vaporize inside the pellet, leading to a mid-air explosion.  
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:51 am
Floyd
My favorite video by this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOoUVeyaY_8

Have nice day!

>20-round drum magazine
>8-round box magazine
>300 rounds per minute
>5 rounds per second
>4 seconds per drum
>1.4 seconds per box
>No select fire option

Oh yeah, that's why I hate it.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:48 am
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
use bigger pellets?

I got it, maybe someone should get some of those magnesium fire starters and break them up into pieces larger than what you'd find in standard dragon's breath, and see how those work. fiery dragon shards
I have a sneaking suspicion that doing so would cause the lead to flash-vaporize inside the pellet, leading to a mid-air explosion.
1. Awesome idea if it's far enough away before blowing up.
2. Maybe magnesium coated steel then.  
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:11 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
use bigger pellets?

Magnesium burns easily hot enough to vaporize iron, so it could probably do the same to the cheap steel they make shot out of. xd  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:20 pm
I got ******** 5 or 6mm wide flechettes with hollow space in the rear to contain a decent amount of magnesium to burn targets. (about maybe half of the flechette would be filled)

range
penetration
tracer effect
flames

almost like little fire rockets but not quite  
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:05 pm
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Magnesium burns easily hot enough to vaporize iron, so it could probably do the same to the cheap steel they make shot out of. xd
Depleted uranium might work since it has a much higher melting point but that's not practical. The magnesium flachette idea be a good idea.  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:49 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Depleted uranium might work since it has a much higher melting point but that's not practical. The magnesium flachette idea be a good idea.
At that point I start to wonder if gyrojets might be a decent idea.  
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:17 pm
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
At that point I start to wonder if gyrojets might be a decent idea.
I wonder if lithium has a lower burning temperature than magnesium. Manyof the metals that low on the periodic table are flammable. Find one that's flammable but won't make buckshot explode and also easy to obtain and we have our burning metal.

Then again this is a LOT of thought to put into an ammo type that is probably illegal anyway.  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:39 pm
Fresnel
Floyd

Have nice day!

>20-round drum magazine
>8-round box magazine
>300 rounds per minute
>5 rounds per second
>4 seconds per drum
>1.4 seconds per box
>No select fire option

>20 round drum
>10 round box
>360 rounds per minute
>No buffer tube = higher recoil
>1.5 seconds per drum
>.75 seconds per magazine
>Selective fire
>20 pounds
>Requires more maintenence
>Made in Korea

=USAS 12

AA-12 > USAS 12

AA-12 just wins over any other machine shotgun unfortunately. A select fire is really all this system is missing to be a practical assault machine shotgun for combat but I'm going to assume that will conflict with the low maintenence operation.  
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:03 pm
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Floyd

Have nice day!

>20-round drum magazine
>8-round box magazine
>300 rounds per minute
>5 rounds per second
>4 seconds per drum
>1.4 seconds per box
>No select fire option

>20 round drum
>10 round box
>360 rounds per minute
>1.5 seconds per drum
>Selective fire
>20 pounds
>Made in Korea

=USAS 12

AA-12 > USAS 12

AA-12 just wins over any other machine shotgun unfortunately. A select fire is really all this system is missing to be a practical assault machine shotgun for combat but I'm going to assume that will conflict with the low maintenence operation.
>machine shotgun
Found the flaw.

It's an inherently bad design. I've seen it done reasonably well once, and it was a belt-fed AR upper. It jammed a lot, but it looked like a home-brew, so I'm willing to excuse that. However, there is simply no way to make an automatic shotgun viable for military use unless we can somehow jam a 1oz slug or 12 pellets of 00 into a .45ACP casing. The ammo is too heavy and too bulky, and the magazines are too small. It's just a bad idea, and weapons designers refuse to admit it.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:04 pm
I imagine the operator has more influence over the rate of fire than you might think.

With some practice, I believe one could lift off the trigger on a one second count and have only employed 3 to 4 rounds. While a mechanical burst limiter would be handy, give the average operator with some trigger discipline enough credit.  
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:13 pm
Floyd
I imagine the operator has more influence over the rate of fire than you might think.

With some practice, I believe one could lift off the trigger on a one second count and have only employed 3 to 4 rounds. While a mechanical burst limiter would be handy, give the average operator with some trigger discipline enough credit.
I think Vietnam taught us what credit to give the trigger discipline of the average operator.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:00 pm
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Floyd

Have nice day!

>20-round drum magazine
>8-round box magazine
>300 rounds per minute
>5 rounds per second
>4 seconds per drum
>1.4 seconds per box
>No select fire option

>20 round drum
>10 round box
>360 rounds per minute
>1.5 seconds per drum
>Selective fire
>20 pounds
>Made in Korea

=USAS 12

AA-12 > USAS 12

>machine shotgun
Found the flaw.

It's an inherently bad design. I've seen it done reasonably well once, and it was a belt-fed AR upper. It jammed a lot, but it looked like a home-brew, so I'm willing to excuse that. However, there is simply no way to make an automatic shotgun viable for military use unless we can somehow jam a 1oz slug or 12 pellets of 00 into a .45ACP casing. The ammo is too heavy and too bulky, and the magazines are too small. It's just a bad idea, and weapons designers refuse to admit it.
The USAS and AA are perfectly practical weapons in closed quarters urban combat which would make them ideal for the National Guard, police and tactical teams.

However I will agree they are quite useless in the combat situations we have in the middle east.

The AA 12 would actually be pretty decent for urban combat if it was select fire and used the 10 round mags from the USAS.  
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:47 pm
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Floyd

Have nice day!

>20-round drum magazine
>8-round box magazine
>300 rounds per minute
>5 rounds per second
>4 seconds per drum
>1.4 seconds per box
>No select fire option

>20 round drum
>10 round box
>360 rounds per minute
>1.5 seconds per drum
>Selective fire
>20 pounds
>Made in Korea

=USAS 12

AA-12 > USAS 12

>machine shotgun
Found the flaw.

The USAS and AA are perfectly practical weapons in closed quarters urban combat which would make them ideal for the National Guard, police and tactical teams.

However I will agree they are quite useless in the combat situations we have in the middle east.

The AA 12 would actually be pretty decent for urban combat if it was select fire and used the 10 round mags from the USAS.
But they're being marketed to the Army, which has no use for them. Nor does the Guard, TBH. Coast Guard, maybe. SWAT, again maybe, but there's really no reason for it to be automatic, and the thing's got the magazine funnel of a lego brick because of that retarded support rail, so reloading under stress is nigh impossible.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:00 am
S12

semi and F/A versions exist
easier to load than AA12
works great when using most man stopping rounds. (no reason to use birdshot in combat anyway)  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff