Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bokusenou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:45 am
Clover_IceQueen
Bokusenou
Clover_IceQueen
So wait... You tell us a book to read and we read it kind of thing?

I was thinking more like "People put out suggestions for books, we vote on one, we all read it (or read the same chapter), and then discuss it" kind of thing, but that could work too.

Oh okay. Cool biggrin A different book each month?

Well it depends what everyone wants (It's still in the planning stage)...I kind of like the "once a week, chapter by chapter" idea, but I guess people who couldn't make that could come to the last meeting in a month where we might discuss our overall impressions of the book or something...What would work for you?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:48 am
Bokusenou
Clover_IceQueen
Bokusenou
Clover_IceQueen
So wait... You tell us a book to read and we read it kind of thing?

I was thinking more like "People put out suggestions for books, we vote on one, we all read it (or read the same chapter), and then discuss it" kind of thing, but that could work too.

Oh okay. Cool biggrin A different book each month?

Well it depends what everyone wants (It's still in the planning stage)...I kind of like the "once a week, chapter by chapter" idea, but I guess people who couldn't make that could come to the last meeting in a month where we might discuss our overall impressions of the book or something...What would work for you?

A book a month would be better sweatdrop I read irratically, so I don't know if I could do chapter by chapter xd  

TheNewLibrarian

Witty Informer

9,600 Points
  • Piepitcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Way Too Many Pies 300

The White Lily

Welcoming Sophomore

8,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Medalist 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:51 am
This sounds like something very interesting biggrin
Maybe if you get enough people there could be more then one book, like you choose and discuss, like a buddy book club. And then at the end of the month all the small groups discuss there books as a whole and swap?

But when you say 'chapter by chapter' do you mean we discuss one chapter a week? O.O Because I tend to finish books within a week... And on that idea, several people read at different speeds, so what would we do about that?

On the book to read idea... I fully suggest Harry Potter... But thats just me biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:15 am
This is a really good idea...I love it! I am definitely on board the Book Club. It sounds like so much fun - can't wait to get started. biggrin  

Angelique Sedai

5,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Bokusenou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:41 pm
OK, it might be a challenge to figure out something that would work with everyone's schedules and reading speed.

Harry Potter is fun, but is might be better to have book picks be online (legally), so everyone can access them. Something from Project Gutenberg might work...  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:35 am
Bokusenou
OK, it might be a challenge to figure out something that would work with everyone's schedules and reading speed.

Harry Potter is fun, but is might be better to have book picks be online (legally), so everyone can access them. Something from Project Gutenberg might work...
Yeaaah, definitely gotta have something legal xd

It would suck to have the police after us or whatever for violating copyright...  

Paradoxismminant
Captain

Green_crayon42

Interesting Gekko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:20 pm
I love this idea!! heart heart
Always wanted to be in a book club that was ...age appropriate and all that kind of stuff. I love talking about what I think of books and everything else for that matter. i love talking in general. but to get thoughts about books...that's a fantastic idea.
most of the book clubs i see are for tiny kids or mothers or the elderly. none that are suited for a person above 20 and below 40.
i need a new book to read anyway.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:34 pm
Bokusenou
Quote:

I would say just pick a book and give a date of when to talk about it. say "Harry Potter..book 3...discussion begins...September 5th" or something. give people like 2 or 3 months to read it, and then discuss whatever. and you could also put in questions like "what do you think of the villian? did you like the book? why/why not(give detailed notes)?" what do people think of certain characters or certain events? was the writing good? did you actually feel like you were in the story? what was a favorite part? what was a part that could have been done better?
ask like detailed questions. not like a paper or anything. but ....get people to actually pay attention to it, rather then just reading it so they can say they did.

does that make sense at all??

Green_crayon42

Interesting Gekko

Paradoxismminant
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:51 am
I have an idea. Like Green Crayon said, let's just say discussion starts on "X date". And maybe people can't post immediately, but someone'll probably be done, and people can just answer and such at their own rate c:.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:31 pm
Paradoxismminant
I have an idea. Like Green Crayon said, let's just say discussion starts on "X date". And maybe people can't post immediately, but someone'll probably be done, and people can just answer and such at their own rate c:.
Yup yup.

I was also thinking each person could pick a book for a few times, then after this thing is open and going for a while, we can see who suggested the best books and name them the captains...then they give book assignments every so often, and if we don't like one suggestion for whatever reason, then we can go to the other one. Like
Book 1- Memiors of a Geisha by Aurther Golden---suggested by Green_Crayon42
Book2-.............................................--Suggested by.............
Book 3-............................--suggested by...................
Book 4-............................................suggested by.............
then we all can pick one, but at least 3 people must read the same book so that we all can have some sort of dicussion about it when the time comes.
hmm....and I would say that if you suggested a book, you shouldn't be allowed to read that one and you can come up with questions for it.  

Green_crayon42

Interesting Gekko

Paradoxismminant
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:04 am
Green_crayon42
Paradoxismminant
Yup yup.

I was also thinking each person could pick a book for a few times, then after this thing is open and going for a while, we can see who suggested the best books and name them the captains...then they give book assignments every so often, and if we don't like one suggestion for whatever reason, then we can go to the other one. Like
Book 1- Memiors of a Geisha by Aurther Golden---suggested by Green_Crayon42
Book2-.............................................--Suggested by.............
Book 3-............................--suggested by...................
Book 4-............................................suggested by.............
then we all can pick one, but at least 3 people must read the same book so that we all can have some sort of dicussion about it when the time comes.
hmm....and I would say that if you suggested a book, you shouldn't be allowed to read that one and you can come up with questions for it.
I like that, but the problem I think we might have with that is some people feeling like there's favoritism, you know?

Maybe we should do a lottery? Like you have to roll numbers 1--10, and whoever gets the highest number first gets to choose.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:51 pm
Sounds fun. I'd definitely participate. Except that this weekend I'm leaving for a 3 week camping trip, so I'll miss out on the beginning.  

rutarete

Paradoxismminant
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:21 am
No worries, I don't think we're starting right this moment XD.

But okay, here's what we have so far:

-we're going to find our reading from an online source
-probably going to have certain people choose the book(s) each time
-may have multiple books at a time  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:46 pm
I like the idea but live a busy life what with work and having a kid(they require a lot of attention and love, plus I have to feed her) I suggest finding short story books picking a date every two weeks to discuss the short story. We get some reading done and get to share a discussion without making it a long drawn out thing because people will forget or get bored waiting for others to finish. Just a thought.  

IV801

Ncrypt1d Threadkiller

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:17 am
IV801
I like the idea but live a busy life what with work and having a kid(they require a lot of attention and love, plus I have to feed her) I suggest finding short story books picking a date every two weeks to discuss the short story. We get some reading done and get to share a discussion without making it a long drawn out thing because people will forget or get bored waiting for others to finish. Just a thought.
Totally valid point. And for those of us (like me), who don't have children...well, there's school.  
Honk if you love reading!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff