Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Gaia Spirit Week Guild!

Back to Guilds

Hang out with your friends and stay updated on all the news of Spirit Week AT THE SAME TIME! What a deal! ;D 

Tags: spirit week, user event, classes, hangout 

Reply Archives
WINTER EVENT! Planning & Discussion Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

dark_fallen_ angel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:48 am
- We're not interested in duplicating Spirit Week, but I would like this event to tie more closely to GSW than the original Winter Break did. How?
Have avatar contests on certain days/all days, Secret Santa, Screenies in Towns or Friend Chats, and dress up days!

- Should we have more dressing up?
Of course! Maybe stuff like Elf Day, Santa Day, Snow Day, Reindeer Day, Christmas Carol, Winter Clothes, Holiday Movie, Holiday Song, etc.
There are some people that don't celebrate Christmas like everyone else, so maybe add a poll or something asking people what they celebrate so you can add that in as well.

- Do you like the idea of a shorter event?
Yes and no.
Yes because others that might be busy won't have to miss out
No because I'll miss everyone again lol
Maybe around November, if you guys do decide to do this, should make a thread where we can all post when we'd be free.
I'm thinking maybe the week before actual Christmas?

- What do you think of the snowball fight?
Sounds fun =]

- What can we do to make it more Gaia oriented, and not necessarily class?
Like everyone is saying, add NPCs.
Maybe we can also have an NPC dress up day where you can either dress up as the NPC or dress up similar to them but in your own style.
But to also keep it winter theme, you gotta dress up as them but with some winter clothes as well.
For Example; Team Moira would dress up in a dark-theme winter clothes
Team Edmund would dress up in fancy winter clothes etc.

- Would you participate in an RP event?
Well I myself dont really like the hardcore RolePlays, nor do i RP anymore.
If i were to join an RP, i'd like it to be simple.
Idk about this one really

- Anything you hate?
How hungry GSW events make me!

- Anything we're obviously missing that should be going on?
zOMG! raids!
We could raid as reindeers, cows, elves, carol singers, etc.
iunno stuff like that.
And if we have secret santa, i do not want it to be gift enabled!
During GSW i was on my mule sending a gift to myself because i had an item i wanted to wear. Since i was busy taking screenies and wanted to make it quick, i decided to send a gift to myself and Gaia is apprently having trouble getting my username correct! It sent my biancamella to a DarkFallenAngel instead of me! (and they still havent fixed it!)
So if there was secret santa, create a mule dressed as an Elf and have people label the trade like "Secret Santa for ___" etc.

- ?????
Profit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:01 am
- We're not interested in duplicating Spirit Week, but I would like this event to tie more closely to GSW than the original Winter Break did. How?

[1] Alright,split up into different houses (as an example look at the Harry Potter and Most College Movies) And each house gets their own Gaia Mascot. For example, Coco House, Kiki House, (and there are tons of other creatures on Gaia too, who's names escape me at this time..) Each creature on Gaia is distinctly colored, so choosing a House color will be easy.

To see what house you would be in, you would have to post in a special forum and generate a number between 1 and (# of total houses).

Dressing up is very fun, and is usually the center of these events. But to change it up a little from spirit week, each house can have their own dress up schedule/days. And on the last day everyone will wear their House Color.

A shorter event is fine, especially this time of year.

I only get the gist of a snowball fight RP, but I guess it would be perfect as a side thing that happens throughout the event. As I recall, you can actually have a snowball fight in towns, and there are also huge unused Chessboards that look pretty festive, and can probably serve as something.

See [1] Above^^^

I'll give it the ol' college go, but I'm not an avid RP-er

- Anything you hate?

There isn't anything you can hate about something that's just an idea. Although, not everyone celebrates Christmas, so watch out for that.

CONTESTS. Ideas:
1> There are x number of Houses, and there are people eager to go caroling. There are also many people with unused houses in the towns. Suggestion: Caroling spirit competition:

FIRST: People who own houses post in a thread saying that they want to participate as carol-ees (people who bear with carolers in their homes.) Once accepted, they are sent to another thread with a list of all their names and housing addresses. Here they can edit a post to show when they're online and at their home in the towns. Each carol-ee will need to make sure their home is unlocked.

THEN: People in each House (or whatever groups everyone is split up in.) organizes a small group to go caroling in the towns. To do so, they check the thread carol-ees posted in to check their online status and plan accordingly. Everyone in the group should wear their House colors.

THEN: The carol-ees will need to wait on their doorstep so carolers can find them easily, and when they do, they will engage in all sorts of merry-making and be invited into the home razz

TO WIN/SCORE I suppose home owners would have to keep track of what Houses(groups) visit them and you could set up some sort of score system -OR- The home owners could judge how cheery each House(group) seemed to them.

2>At the end of the event, when everyone is wearing their class colors, you can tally the score from all of the contests/events for each house, (now I'm just stealing this from harry potter) and the winning house wins some fancy Winter-oriented cup with their house name and whatnot engraved in it.

3> To put less stress on your heads, you should do events that run themselves, like the towns caroling idea (above), that way, the event can last much longer with very little maintenance.

4> Holiday Card Contest:
Self Explanatory. As I remember, there was a place in Coca-cola world that was specially made for a Holiday card.

5>House pictures
Each house gets together and takes one big group picture (or several).

- ?????

Everything else (costume contests, Secret Santa, friend chats, screen shots, and the like) sound like pretty good things and should probably be kept. I think we should make more use of the towns and the homes no one seems to use.  

Nintendo Freak 32

Fashionable Informer

10,275 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200

Rintendo

9,050 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:12 am
Yes! This is my favorite part of GSW <3

I think the week goes by so fast! D: But I can see why it would need to be shorter.

I'm not sure how well it would work.

no. ^^; But I guess that's not to say that some people wouldn't?

The Secret Santa sounds great! But like a lot of work for you guys. <3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:31 pm
I do remember the ideas for winter break in 08, but I think that we can definitely use that as a learning experience and make something successful!

I think that rather than having daily themes, it might be fun to have a theme for the week – having everyone dress in seasonal clothes, having everyone dress up with their favorite snack for winter, something like that. It might also be fun to have it as an advertisement for Spirit Week; set up a thread somewhere and say “this is just a sampler of what GSW is like”, and maybe have some of the same kinds of contests (except for the whole week instead of specific days, again)
A weekly theme would encourage dressing up without having it go overboard, and would definitely re-create the GSW feel.
It might be better to have it shorter, but people also get very busy in winter, so if you cut it too short some people are going to miss it entirely, and I think that would be kind of sad.
Honestly, it sounds like LOADS of work, but if it could be pulled off it would definitely be fun. However, if it was going to be between classes, I do worry that this would amplify the problem of rivalry between classes, which has been a problem in Spirit Weeks past. Since I don’t think that’s something that should be encouraged, it would be difficult to divide up teams and such.
We could always divide the teams up differently? Like maybe have team captains and divide teams up by random numbers, and have an item to represent each class… I don’t know quite where I’m going with that, but random teams would definitely make it more Gaia and less class.
I think that if it was something similar to Gaia Ball or the Gaia Prom (when, you know, we HAD one) that it could definitely work. Have everyone dress in formal winter clothes and dance the night away! (aka, YES I totally would)
- Anything you hate?
I think as far as this goes, we DON’T want the class rivalry to go overboard, and personally I hate it when things get too heated up in that sense. I also hate lasagna.
You can ALWAYS recruit people for help. I know that I would be more than willing to help with what I could. If you got some people from the community to help put it together, it might be easier to divide up the work, etc. I think that we’re a resource that can definitely be tapped to put this together, and you should keep that in mind smile
- ANY OTHER IDEAS?
I do like the idea of the Secret Santa (those are always fun) as long as you set price limits (both upper and lower) so no one feels bad. I also think that it would be fun if we could do a towns raid in winter clothes (maybe call it a caroling raid and “sing” to random people in towns?)

featherfire520

Intergalactic Inquisitor

Darkness Dragons Revenge

Loyal Mage

19,750 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:23 pm
Should we have more dressing up?
Yah, i would love something like: "SANTA IS LOOKING FOR ELF'S! Dress up as one to help him in his workshop!
-Do you like the idea of a shorter event?

Honestly, I dont. But ill be busy most of the time.
What do you think of the snowball fight?
Hell yah! I still have a snowball in my freezer from last winter! (SHHH!!)
What can we do to make it more Gaia oriented, and not necessarily class?
Invite more people. I cant really think of anything. Make it an open event!
Would you participate in an RP event?
I can try. Im not good at RP sweatdrop
Anything you hate?
Nope! ^.^
Anything we're obviously missing that should be going on?
A DAY IN THE TOWNS WHERE SOMEONE (Like a Mod XP) GOES INTO TOWN DRESSED AS SANTA AND WE TELL HIM WHAT WE WANT FOR CHRISTMAS!!! blaugh 3nodding xd mrgreen heart  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:46 pm

-We're not interested in duplicating Spirit Week, but I would like this event to tie more closely to GSW than the original Winter Break did. How?
I agree with a lot of the ideas already mentioned. Things such as dress-up days and avatar contests, and screenies. I think the Secret Santa would be a good idea, as long as you limit the amount we can spend.
I think that the amount of dressing up should be a little less for a winter event, seeing that not a lot of people may be on, considering it is the holidays and mostly everyone will be busy with their families. Or, (depending on the date) finals if they're in college.
Not really. But I think it would be a good idea to keep it short, because of the holiday season.
I think this would be a good idea. It sounds like it'd be a lot of fun.
Have it kind of coincide with Gaia's winter events? Like... designated times for caroling in towns, things like that.
Of course. I love you roleplay.
- Anything you hate?
Being hungry.
Not that I can think of right now. If I think of anything, I'll post it! heart

Dear Mirahya

Sparkly Consumer

Nyx Avalon

Desirable Felis catus

21,925 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:08 pm
Have appointed days and one of the days bee voted on starting a few months before hand maybe? ( Have me cover the event again if it happens)
Sure. Dressing up is awesome. Maybe have some of the spirited artists design cards. Maybe have days that are snow related or something.
I'm neutral on the thought.
Red vs. Green and White is neutral? for fighters make a specific fight date.
Limit teams. Come up with a team name? Maybe have christmas themes prize sets or something? *shrugs*
i Like Rping. I don't know bout the rest of the people.
- Anything you hate?
I don't hate things.
Mistle Toe Madness ( but don't Spam it. (I'd run it if you'd Like(Like a mistle toe fairy Where the posters below exchange art, chocolate, a small inexpensive gift, a form of role played Kiss not, or something friendly. ya know?)))
- ?????  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:43 pm
The entire thing sounds awesome!
I'd participate in everything. :]  

Ecstasea

Romantic Scarface

ashy elbows

Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:12 pm
We could have winter related contests, maybe not between classes but Reindeer and Santas? I have no idea.

ABSOLUTELY. That's what makes it loads of fun! biggrin

I personally like longer events, with more time to do more things, but it doesn't really matter. c:

Now I'm a bit confused about a snowball fight in the forums mostly. How exactly would that work?

Like I said before, instead of class divide, we could have more Gaia winter holiday division.

Not the best at it, but it would be fun!

- Anything you hate?
SPIDERS. Oh lawdy, spiders....

No...?

- ?????
Derp a herp. Nuff said.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:07 am
Hmmmmm... GSW is a lot about (obviously) Gaia Love and Staff Appreciation, right? Maybe run a Gaia staff Christmas event where people draw Christmas pictures, write out "Season's Greetings", or just donate a Christmas gift to the staff? It would bring home the "Gaia Spirit" bit, methinks.
Probably a yes. Dressing up is fun and since 90% of Gaia stuff focuses on playing dress-up with your avatar... XD;
I don't think anyone likes shorter parties, but I can see the practicality of it.
Not enough information in the main post to say definitively, but it sounds cool!
I feel the first question dual-covered this for me. Another thing that could be done is to do a class-unrelated team set for certain events. It could be as simple as saying the teams are Secret Santas, Elves, Carolers, and Snowmen and having people generate a random number 1-4 in their first post to assign their team.
Oh yes~! Purple Rush at Christmastime! Yay!
- Anything you hate?
No. How could you suggest such a thing?! (Just kidding!)
Christmas contests perhaps? Ooh, perhaps an original Gaia Christmas Carol contest! That could be really fun and funny!
- ?????
-Profit. (I couldn't help myself. Sorry!)  

Neko_Bri

Friendly Phantom

8,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Generous 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Vibbia rolled 1 20-sided dice: 8 Total: 8 (1-20)

Vibbia

The Committee Staff Sex Symbol

8,100 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:02 am
I like the idea of maybe mixing up the teams but maybe make a final Class event to tie it in? Also maybe we could Go around "caroling" to spread yuletide cheer to fellow Gaians 3nodding

Absoletly! Maybe not Christmas or other Holiday theme. That way other religions are not left out. For example I celibrate Yule(Winter solstice) with my boyfreind and Christmas with my family.

I like the sound of it, but I'm not thrilled about it being on a weekend.. usually I hang out with IRL freind and play D&D (Yes I am a nerd) I have no life during the week except working at my mom's store. I pray that I have a diffrent Job by then! sweatdrop

I LOVE IT! usually Gaia lets us chuck snowballs anyway so it be more fun if we could take it and make it more structured and maybe team based... well I guess it dosen't have to be structured... Chucking snowballs is just fun! blaugh .

Try to bring in more people from the Gaia community or maybe do a fundraiser and donate some to a charity. Oh and maybe that's how we could do teams! Pick so a few Gaia Charities have us vote and then we get on teams of the winning one. Winning team gets to have them gold donated to their charity. :3 heart That would be nice! 3nodding I also like ther idea of a GSW Mod being the head of teams.

Heck Yeah! mrgreen I love Rping... We should dress our Avvies up too! *Begins thinking up a ballgown heart *

- Anything you hate?
I'm not really a hateful person... sweatdrop

Just remember Christmas isn't the only holiday. 3nodding

- ?????
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Damn it was only an 8....  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:27 pm

yes thats what makes these so fun
shorter than a week? just how long do you want it to be?? scream
sounds like it would be hard to do from a user perspective but it is doable and may take a few ideas before something decisive is reached
i think this would be a difficult approach to not make it class related
as long as i had people to rp with you can count me in
- Anything you hate?
no not really i love events

Verya Sylvani

Moonlight Stalker

11,800 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100

The Devils Darling

Interesting Citizen

10,400 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:37 pm
I think the snowball fight sounds like a lot of fun, but it also seems like it'd be kinda of difficult/complicated. I would definitely participate in an RP event.

I love the SS things always, so I'm glad you guys would do that smile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:37 pm
I think Bri's (Neko_Bri) idea is great. I mean, GSW is celebrating what a wonderful community Gaia is- so why not thank the people who worked their butts off to make it a better place? 8D?

Yes! Dressing up is a core part of spirit week and should be kept. It is what makes the event fun- besides the screenies and the activities.

Considering that people will be away on vacation- I suppose a shorter event is a good idea. 5 days like the people mentioned before would be best as in my opinion, 3 days is quite short.

I think it would be interesting to see what you mods could come up with. I totally open with this idea. It would be a great thing to keep the GSWers entertained. 8D

Well if it's teams you're trying to sort out, may I suggest making 4 groups that take on the names of the places in Gaia? (Barton Town, Aekea, Gambino Isle & Durem)

Oh, that would be lovely! Yes, I would participate. It'd be great if we created a roleplay thread that is separate to the GSW thread so as to not have the normal posts and the roleplay posts all mixed up.

- Anything you hate?
Well, the ideas you mods have come up with are great so far. 8D

I suppose you all got everything covered.

- ?????

you just lost the game. 8D
profit

Hello Neon

Friendly Trickster

14,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Prayer Circle 200

lil4fingers
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:07 pm
Spirit Stalker drops by~

>I didn't drop in my two cents before I left for music camp, so here they are, addressed as Varlot has listed them in her first post:

1. The snowball fight is a wonderful idea. Granted, you'd have to work in chance/ratios via dice or something, but a physical competition is always a good thing. BUT, as we always forget in our excitement, the oldest years have VERY few people. Problematic for teaming, unless we're not using the class divisions for this event, which could also work.
EDIT: The dice thing only pertains to if you're doing it like the Holloween Event Vampies V.S Werewolves, which, apparently, some people on here don't know about ><

2. The Winter Formal is a very nice idea. Spirit Week brings multitudes of users out of the woodwork. And, it's during Winter Break, so people are more accessible to get on. It would also be great for users who do look for good role players, as, well, good role players have been in demand with a slow decline in availability. And, it's a nice way to be closer with one another without actual emotioal strings, hopefully.

3. Secret Santa is a yes. Period. But it needs price ranging so people who feel like giving more don't expect an equal price return back.

-We're not interested in duplicating Spirit Week, but I would like this event to tie more closely to GSW than the original Winter Break did. How?
>GSW is about admin love, yes? So, maybe our teaming could be by NPCs this event. The class division is nice and all, but it happens each year, and it feels like it should be a GSW only type thing.

>I'm going to say no to this one. People spend so much gold each year for GSW and it gets a little stressful worrying about it. Plus, a regular Gaian dresses up in Winter attire anyway as the season rolls around. Maybe for fun, or for a screenie, but not as a formal part of the event.

>Yes. While Winter Break is a time for relaxation for most people, it is also a time for our family, so the idea of a shorter event allows us to keep to our family, while still keeping in contact with one another.

[- What do you think of the snowball fight?
[- What can we do to make it more Gaia oriented, and not necessarily [class?
[- Would you participate in an RP event?

>All stated above ><

- Anything you hate dislike?
>Just the fact that we're getting on to this at such a late date. But better late than never eh?

>Some people travel to family outside of the US timezone for the usual Winter festivities, so, a date would need to be set well in advance to allow people to decide on their participation or not.
Also, I know anon-gifting is a big thing right now, but to do that would be odd, because what if the same person gets multiple gifts? It would just be hard
D: It would have to be organized well down to a pair-a-person.

And just to tie in references:
-Procrastinating Spazz- had a great idea for the teaming,
Nintendo Freak 32 had an AMAZING idea for a caroling contest,
and The Birdy had a great idea on Charity donating in the holiday spirit.

Thanks for offering to listen (:

~Spirit Stalker resumes lurking.

Archives

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas