14,175 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Lavish Tipper 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:55 pm
Zuri-kai
Garek Maxwell
Zuri-kai
Ah yes, the trolls, flamers and haters. Gotta love humans. The only animal species that deals harm it's own for no logical reason. -_-

Actually a lot of animals do the same thing, but they have the excuse of instincts and natural behavior*. As creatures with supposedly higher intellect, we have no excuse. xp

I approve of this thread by the way!

* It gets complicated when you get to apes and dolphins though...particularly when they exhibit traits of culture.

The only examples I can think of are canine packs where they use violence to establish rank, but they never intend to kill a pack member. Or lion prides where they snap for feeding rights, but again no permanent damage is ever intended. As far as I know humans are the only animals that will willingly attempt to kill one of their own.

Wolves will actually play tricks to kill loners.
They will suppress a rank's howl, showing the lone wolf that the pack is in need of another member.
When that lone wolf gets close enough, the whole pack goes after it to kill it.

Also, elephants are now going out of their way to attack humans.
Scientists have theorized it's a revenge tactic, but elephants have become much more aggressive towards humans over the years.
Not just to hunters who shoot them, but to peaceful human villages too.

And Bampot is right.
Male lions (if they have won a fight against another male lion and win his pride) will kill the cubs born by the previous male so that the female will go into heat and breed with him to get his own bloodline going.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:58 pm
Quote:
Scientists have theorized it's a revenge tactic, but elephants have become much more aggressive towards humans over the years.

Rise of the Planet of the Pachyderms?  

Robodicks

Robotic Exhibitionist

DarkWolfLove

Toothsome Werewolf

14,175 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Lavish Tipper 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:02 pm
Bampot
Quote:

I guess?
XD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:05 pm
DarkWolfLove
Bampot
Quote:

I guess?
XD

Lol  

Robodicks

Robotic Exhibitionist

DarkWolfLove

Toothsome Werewolf

14,175 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Lavish Tipper 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:08 pm
Bampot
DarkWolfLove
Bampot
Quote:

I guess?
XD

Lol

Ew!
XD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:23 pm
DarkWolfLove
Zuri-kai
Garek Maxwell
Zuri-kai
Ah yes, the trolls, flamers and haters. Gotta love humans. The only animal species that deals harm it's own for no logical reason. -_-

Actually a lot of animals do the same thing, but they have the excuse of instincts and natural behavior*. As creatures with supposedly higher intellect, we have no excuse. xp

* It gets complicated when you get to apes and dolphins though...particularly when they exhibit traits of culture.

The only examples I can think of are canine packs where they use violence to establish rank, but they never intend to kill a pack member. Or lion prides where they snap for feeding rights, but again no permanent damage is ever intended. As far as I know humans are the only animals that will willingly attempt to kill one of their own.

They will suppress a rank's howl, showing the lone wolf that the pack is in need of another member.

And Bampot is right.
Male lions (if they have won a fight against another male lion and win his pride) will kill the cubs born by the previous male so that the female will go into heat and breed with him to get his own bloodline going.

I understand the wolf thing. Any wolf outside the pack is not only infringing on territory but a threat to the pack's food source.
I understand the lion thing too (but then again, lions are really weird for cats). The male cubs would have grown to challenge the current male and thus re-established the former dominant bloodline.
(I am so glad I'm a solitary feline. Pack life is too...hierarchical. :3)

As for the angry elephants I say more power to them. It's about time humans learned not to f*** with the animal kingdom.  

Zuri-kai

8,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250

DarkWolfLove

Toothsome Werewolf

14,175 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Lavish Tipper 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:35 pm
Zuri-kai
DarkWolfLove
Zuri-kai
Garek Maxwell
Zuri-kai

And Bampot is right.

I understand the wolf thing. Any wolf outside the pack is not only infringing on territory but a threat to the pack's food source.
I understand the lion thing too (but then again, lions are really weird for cats). The male cubs would have grown to challenge the current male and thus re-established the former dominant bloodline.

As for the angry elephants I say more power to them. It's about time humans learned not to f*** with the animal kingdom.

Wolves normally don't kill unless they need food though.
They could have easily run the loner away.
Instead, they draw it in and kill it, seemingly for no reason.
If they ran it off without accepting it, it would still die.
So killing it themselves is rather pointless as well.

Before you were denying the lion thing?
Not sure if you finally looked it up, but if you suddenly understand it, why say you didn't believe it before?

And you are aware humans are a part of the "animal kingdom" too?
We might not be the same as a wolf or an elephant, but we're still animals.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:48 pm
DarkWolfLove
Zuri-kai
DarkWolfLove
Zuri-kai
Garek Maxwell
Zuri-kai

And Bampot is right.

Wolves normally don't kill unless they need food though.
They could have easily run the loner away.
Instead, they draw it in and kill it, seemingly for no reason.
If they ran it off without accepting it, it would still die.
So killing it themselves is rather pointless as well.

Before you were denying the lion thing?
Not sure if you finally looked it up, but if you suddenly understand it, why say you didn't believe it before?

And you are aware humans are a part of the "animal kingdom" too?
We might not be the same as a wolf or an elephant, but we're still animals.

I see the pack killing the loner as an act of mercy. Being a family group a pack wouldn't readily accept a loner, and rather than let it die of starvation it's better to give a quick death. Least that's how I see it.

As for the lion thing, I didn't have all of the information. Bampot never said Lions kill when they take over another pride. She only said that they killed other males. This isn't the case when the male is born of the head lion. If it's part of the family then the young male is run off until he either forms a pride of his own or takes over another.
Hence why I didn't believe it.

And I'm aware humans are still animals. I never said or indicated that they weren't. Humans are just odd in that they're the only animals that can somehow override their natural instincts.  

Zuri-kai

8,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250

DarkWolfLove

Toothsome Werewolf

14,175 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Lavish Tipper 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:51 pm
Zuri-kai

I see the pack killing the loner as an act of mercy. Being a family group a pack wouldn't readily accept a loner, and rather than let it die of starvation it's better to give a quick death. Least that's how I see it.

As for the lion thing, I didn't have all of the information. Bampot never said Lions kill when they take over another pride. She only said that they killed other males. This isn't the case when the male is born of the head lion. If it's part of the family then the young male is run off until he either forms a pride of his own or takes over another.
Hence why I didn't believe it.

And I'm aware humans are still animals. I never said or indicated that they weren't. Humans are just odd in that they're the only animals that can somehow override their natural instincts.

No, it's not a thing of mercy.
I wouldn't consider it a thing of mercy.
It's just a strange thing wolves do that override their instincts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:34 pm
Hehe, one thing I've realized about the similarities between humans and other animals. People may say humans are cruel for no reason. But its not true. Think of high school, its very much a hierarchy based environment much like wolves or lions. Hmm... maybe I'm wrong. But I don't see much of a difference between us and other animals. We just say cruelty instead of instincts. Believe me most humans want to be the alpha male in any situation.
sweatdrop  

Guaif

10,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Zuri-kai

8,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:44 pm
I guess I can't really relate them. My psychology is feline. Solitary and dismissive of the petty barking pack animals. razz
Though I do get pissed when I get challenged, in an animal mindset I'm defending my territory rather than asserting dominance.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:39 pm
Bohemian Hybrid
Hehe, one thing I've realized about the similarities between humans and other animals. People may say humans are cruel for no reason. But its not true. Think of high school, its very much a hierarchy based environment much like wolves or lions. Hmm... maybe I'm wrong. But I don't see much of a difference between us and other animals. We just say cruelty instead of instincts. Believe me most humans want to be the alpha male in any situation.
sweatdrop

High school is such a perfect comparison. With all the hormones, it's hard not to be animals.

Humans are just strange animals who fight constantly against their instincts by labeling them as different things wink I see a lot of beast in humans and a lot of human in beast.  

Robodicks

Robotic Exhibitionist

Garek Maxwell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:48 pm
I think it's important to point out that humans are pack animals. We've lived in packs (tribes) for so long that this has actually had an impact on our ...well, I assume genetics.

I've forgotten what I read in anthropology and sociology, but I recall the mind being hardwired for tribal-like interactions. And these persist today because we predominantly lived in "tribes" up until about the 19th century. So we do have quite a bit in common with animal packs for brain wiring... Which is usually blamed as a problem in the modern age since cities and our society is not well equipped for that old kind of interaction. The funny thing is that 19th and 20th century scholars thought it was going to be more extreme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemeinschaft_and_Gesellschaft
The wiki explains it better. razz

And animals kill their own all the time, I thought that was common knowledge? confused There's tons of examples of monkeys and apes doing it. Animals will even eat their young....not for very good reasons most of the time, but it could mean the stronger ones survive... Not sure. Evolution doesn't really favor the "strongest" just the most adaptable, so nature does crazy things!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:15 pm
Garek Maxwell
I think it's important to point out that humans are pack animals. We've lived in packs (tribes) for so long that this has actually had an impact on our ...well, I assume genetics.

I've forgotten what I read in anthropology and sociology, but I recall the mind being hardwired for tribal-like interactions. And these persist today because we predominantly lived in "tribes" up until about the 19th century. So we do have quite a bit in common with animal packs for brain wiring... Which is usually blamed as a problem in the modern age since cities and our society is not well equipped for that old kind of interaction. The funny thing is that 19th and 20th century scholars thought it was going to be more extreme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemeinschaft_and_Gesellschaft
The wiki explains it better. razz

And animals kill their own all the time, I thought that was common knowledge? confused There's tons of examples of monkeys and apes doing it. Animals will even eat their young....not for very good reasons most of the time, but it could mean the stronger ones survive... Not sure. Evolution doesn't really favor the "strongest" just the most adaptable, so nature does crazy things!

So much this~

DarkWolfLove

Toothsome Werewolf

14,175 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Lavish Tipper 200

Guaif

10,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:42 pm
So on a lighter note. Does everyone have art of their anthropomorphic persona's? If so I'd love to see them so I can have a better mental image of everyone.  
Adult Furries Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff