Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dragon Quest/Warrior Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all your Dragon Quest/Warrior needs! 

Tags: JRPG, Slimes, Roto, Alefgard, Zenithia 

Reply Party Chat (Chatterbox)
Rate the Person's Video Game Composition Above You! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ThePersonInFrontOfYou
Vice Captain

Wheezing Wench

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:24 pm
Ooh, that title doesn't lie. It's chaotic, contemporary, and sorta threatening. Especially at the beginning, it sounds like there's some eldritch stuff going on in there. The melody is strong, and there is plenty of variation as the song goes on. It's consistently sinister and ambient, which is friggin' awesome. I haven't played this game, but the song makes me wanna find out more about it. What an interesting piece. I'll give it an 8 out of 10.

Iconoclasm- Baten Kaitos Origins. Motoi Sakuraba  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:07 pm
I couldn't help but feel as though Sakuraba took some of his best songs, smoshed them together and formed this song. I heard the organ lines from "Incarnation of the Devil", harpsichord line from "Ending the Cycle", rock pattern from Star Ocean 3's battle song. One might pass that off as "uncreative", but I liked it, Incarnation of the Devil meets Star Ocean 3 basic battle song? Yezplz. 8/10

Final Boss- Yoshi's Island by Koji Kondo  

The Lolwut Pear
Captain

Mega Fatcat

12,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Elocutionist 200

gabriel sama

High-functioning Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:57 pm
Oh, it gets even better, my good friend. Trust me, I'm just getting warmed up with this. Ar Tonelico is an interesting series, released for the... PS2, I believe? Don't recall off the top of my head, but I don't think the games are localized, sadly.

As for Iconoclasm... I see you're using that top 100 list I pulled Ys from. Good song. Nice battle feel it has. I never did actually play Baten Kaitos, let alone Origins. Should probably do that, huh?

I'm giving it an 8.5/10.

Edit: As for the Baby Bowser Battle, that is pretty sweet. It's a great song, but it's just not as epic as the Final Bowser from Mario 64.

8.25/10 for that.

XaaaCi from Ar Tonelico 3.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:23 pm
Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean is poop. Its wold is pretty and the music is nice, but the two leads are AWFUL UNLIKABLE CLODS written with all of the subtlety of a bag full of bags full of anvils. Also, the production beyond the graphics and music is awful, with abysmal voice acting and a slow and pointlessly finicky battle system. Baten Kaitos Origins, on the other hand, is one of my favorite games ever and I regard it as an absolute marvel in almost every way.

As for XaaaCi, I don't like it as much as the other one. Instead of creepy ambiance, this one seems to rely more on static noises and hair-raising contrast. It's still a chilling tune for some of the same reasons, but it isn't as clean or pleasant as the previous one. And by "pleasant," I mean "effectively creepy but cool to listen to." Maybe that was the intent, but I don't like it as much. It just jumps around and tries to creep me out with scratching on a chalkboard instead of inherent artistry. It gets a lower 6/10. slightly above average for some nice, similar parts amidst the scratching.

Ryoshima Coast- From Okami, by Hiroshi Yamaguchi. (In the video I chose, there's a bit of a jump. This is because the person who posted this put both versions of the song together manually, since he ripped them from the game, I think).

Also, 35 minutes 'till Dragon Quest Livestream!  

ThePersonInFrontOfYou
Vice Captain

Wheezing Wench

The Lolwut Pear
Captain

Mega Fatcat

12,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:10 pm
While I am not the biggest of fans of oriental-style music (if you must know, The Great Wall of China in my previous pick was one of those songs I picked on a whim with my iPod on random), but with the right mix of percussion and little taste of violin, it was nice, seemed a tad repetitive for a PS2 song, but was still motivating. 7.5/10

I'll give the next poster a short, sweet lick of a song:

Applying Justice~ Dancer- Fire Emblem Thracia 776 by Yuka Tsujiyoko

Keep in mind, this is supposed to be a short, sweet song seeing as in the actual game, you only really only hear five seconds of it like any other FE Dancer song.

Edit: I keep on ninja'ing Roy. xD  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:15 pm
Ryoshima Coast flows very smoothly, with little lag in transition. It has an Oriental feel to it, and it also makes me think of some sort of determination scene right before preparations for a battle of some sort. Sadly, I have not had a chance to play Okami, but it's definitely on my list of games to play. Overall, an excellent song.

8.75/10

Edit: And I got ninja'd. Please hold. XD
Dancer seems really repetitive, but then again, most of the bard/dancer songs are supposed to be repetitive in the FE games. You don't really hear them for that long, so of course they wouldn't seem quite that repetitive. Rather upbeat, which is kinda rare for dancers in the FE-verse.

8/10

The Sword That Cleaves Evil from Super Robot Wars OG  

gabriel sama

High-functioning Player

ThePersonInFrontOfYou
Vice Captain

Wheezing Wench

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:41 pm
Ohmygod, this is SUCH a Giant Robot song. I've never played this game, but there's no doubt that the musicians knew what they were doing. I absolutely love the climbing key changes. It's such a positive, climactic animoo song, and I mean that in the best way. It's not descriptive of anything in particular, aside from... well... Giant Robot Anime Fights where the Good Guys Win and the Bad Guys Get Cleaved In Half By The Ultra Sword For Great Justice. The only real problem with it is that it's very uniform in structure, not offering much difference in dynamics, but that's a small thing. I'll give this a 9/10. 8 for being cool, one more point for being music that suits the genre perfectly.

Morning Sky (Sound of the Wind, English Version)- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, by Kumi Tanioka. Sung in English by Donna Burke.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:04 pm
Fortunately for you guys, my LP project will in fact involve these giant robots. So I get to familiarize you with Super Robot Wars/Taisen. Also, the theme songs usually play when they're attacking, so they're not meant to be quite as long as the video says it is. I'll see if I can find some non-extended versions.

As for the song, I love it. I was so close to beating it at one point. I used the... human character that had the sword and shield since I'm pretty good with physical attacks. I just dislike how long it takes for casting, so I don't use them that often.

9/10.

Land Crasher from Super Robot Wars Z.

And yes, this guy does fight with a bigass wrench.  

gabriel sama

High-functioning Player

The Lolwut Pear
Captain

Mega Fatcat

12,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:05 pm
7/10 I thought it sort of sounded weird as a song, but "Land Crasher?" The content of the song (sort of sounded very masculine) fits the title perfectly, I'll give you that. By weird, I'm mainly talking about the Otto (Simpsons) esque voice.

That being said however, you are doing very well getting me interested in this game, I shall have to emulate it before long!

Last Battle- Asellus Saga Frontier by Kenji Ito.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:46 am
This theme does have the battle feeling behind it. At first I had been thinking about Fire Emblem, then I could tell that this was somewhere else. My mind then traveled to Golden Sun.

I like the way this song goes. It has a nice feeling for the music, and at least gives the battle feeling.

Mine is one of the hard battles for this game. Gates of Hell - Last Remnant by Tsuyoshi Sekito , Yasuhiro Yamanaka.  

Belzayne

Lonely Girl

ThePersonInFrontOfYou
Vice Captain

Wheezing Wench

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:09 am
The guitar base is nice and strong, and it sounds like a theme that would suit a That One Boss. But something is preventing me from getting behind it fully. It's a good song, but... I guess it's because I don't feel like anything in the song proper is as strong as the lead-in bit. The synthy noises are all in the background behind the guitar and percussion, and it doesn't really leave an impression on me. It feels even a bit restrained for something called "the gates of hell." I'll give it a 7/10.

The Ocean- Dragon Quest V (DS version) by Koichi Sugiyama  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:10 pm
This sounds beautiful. It gives you a calm feeling as you listen to it, but there's a faint feel of melancholy in it, like you're leaving home to go on a journey to go fight monsters, collect loot and save the world, DQ-style. The orchestration is amazing. If they added like... seagull sounds to make it really seem like they were at the ocean, it would be even more amazing.

8.75/10.

The Fate Of from eXceed 3rd -Jade Penetrate-, by SSH.  

gabriel sama

High-functioning Player

The Lolwut Pear
Captain

Mega Fatcat

12,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:22 pm
That... was a fantastic song! It was like Yoshi's Island meets later generation consoles with a touch (just a touch) of Tales of to it. As much as I love my orchestral music, I love rock themed bosses just as much. Best mark in this thread yet because of the combination of new music to me, and just what I was asking for sub-consciously: 9.5/10, only thing that held it from a perfect score is was it seemed a bit random if you will? Therefore, it might lose meaning in the chorus. But randomness in music isn't that bad at all, for me at least.

Demon King Deathtoll- Soul Blazer by Yukihide Takekawa  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:31 pm
*Took me sometime to get it to load* Hm...

The beat is consistent, so that is good. I like the feel to this song, although never played the game. I can feel myself walking down the street and listening to it.

Anyways, here is another Last Remnant song from Nom: Turn the Tide by Tsuyoshi Sekito , Yasuhiro Yamanaka.  

Belzayne

Lonely Girl

gabriel sama

High-functioning Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:01 pm
Interesting boss battle song. However, you got the title wrong. It's actually Press To Victory, not Turn the Tide. It does a good job rocking out the guitar, but that's about all it's going for, really. The other instruments (notably, the drums) were a tad too soft for my taste.

8/10

-digs deep into his collection for another piece from a severely underrated game-

Emil Karma from NieR by Keiichi Okabe  
Party Chat (Chatterbox)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces