Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)
"Book of Shadows" Must-Haves Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:18 pm
Erise Crewe
But also i see the books in an informational source, and because of that want to take notes out of ..the habit of taking notes when i'm trying to learn something. sweatdrop And then wonder if that would count as a BoS material, since that's what a BoS is supposed to be right eek

No.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:33 pm
I'm guilty of having been practicing for years and not having some kind of BoS sweatdrop I should get on that...  

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

Bunny Hermione

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:32 am
Erise Crewe
Sanguina Cruenta

Why would you have done anything at this point? You've barely discovered witchcraft.

my first thought was 'peer pressure! scream ' I'm j/k it's part of being new xd seems like even complete newbies have started one so i was wondering when to begin sweatdrop

But also i see the books in an informational source, and because of that want to take notes out of ..the habit of taking notes when i'm trying to learn something. sweatdrop And then wonder if that would count as a BoS material, since that's what a BoS is supposed to be right eek

I wouldn't worry about not starting one, no matter how new you are. I've been learning and adapting my path for 8 years and I still don't have a BOS or anything like that. Granted, partially it did come from my parents flat refusing to allow any practice (their right, and I respect it), and then going to a private Christian college where it would be impossible to practice.

I'd just say start it when you want to. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:24 am
Bunny Hermione

I wouldn't worry about not starting one, no matter how new you are. I've been learning and adapting my path for 8 years and I still don't have a BOS or anything like that. Granted, partially it did come from my parents flat refusing to allow any practice (their right, and I respect it), and then going to a private Christian college where it would be impossible to practice.

How is it impossible to practice?  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Bunny Hermione

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:58 am
Esiris
Bunny Hermione

How is it impossible to practice?

I'm not allowed anything that even remotely resembles a pagan ritual tool. Also there's the fact that I'm one of the very few non-Christians at this school. I have a friend who graduated from my university three years ago, the year before I started, and she was pagan. She lived in one of our apartment-like complexes, so she had a room to herself, but a shared common area. She kept all her stuff in her room, no one could see it in the common areas and she still had loads of problems. She had some things go missing too. If I were to live in a regular dorm, that's 2 people in 1 room. That's a whole other issue there, since most people who are Christian around my area are distinctly uncomfortable with anything non-Christian. Given all my prior experiences with that, I don't really see the practicality of my trying to practice until I can live by myself, or in an apartment where I actually do have full privacy.

I am moving into our apartment-complex next year for university, so it's an issue there. Since it's a private university, they have the right to call things taboo, and I knew that when I chose the school. I just do research for now and figure out my beliefs, do little mental thanks or acknowledgements for good things in my life. That's the extent of what I can do, given my living circumstances. I've been living with my grandma, who flat told me that I'm not allowed to practice or having tools in her house. Since my parents also have put that restriction...it is practically impossible for me to practice. The only things I am allowed are my necklace pendants, since jewelry isn't a religious tool or practice.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:08 am
Bunny Hermione

I'm not allowed anything that even remotely resembles a pagan ritual tool.

You could take a kitchen wtich approach- how would they even know that the knife, wooden spoon, trivit and mug were "pagan"? Or you could practice outside of school- like at a park or something.

Quote:
That's a whole other issue there, since most people who are Christian around my area are distinctly uncomfortable with anything non-Christian.
You could either try and network outside of school or you could practice solo.

Quote:
Given all my prior experiences with that, I don't really see the practicality of my trying to practice until I can live by myself, or in an apartment where I actually do have full privacy.

If that's what feels right for you go for it! cat_3nodding
I just think that unless it's unethical to practice for some reason- there are ways to overcome the other problems if you feel a calling.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Bunny Hermione

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:24 pm
Esiris

I just think that unless it's unethical to practice for some reason- there are ways to overcome the other problems if you feel a calling.

I may be overly cautious too. I had a pretty bad time of it in high school, so I've always been on the ultra-cautious side in dealing with people who I know will have problems with my beliefs. And it could be that I wouldn't have problems, but no knowing that till I meet the roommates.

At the moment, it's best for me to research. It actually helps, kind of, that I haven't been able to practice. I'm far more comfortable knowing that I'll have a good foundation of knowledge before I ever try to cast a spell. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:27 pm
Bunny Hermione
Esiris

I may be overly cautious too. I had a pretty bad time of it in high school, so I've always been on the ultra-cautious side in dealing with people who I know will have problems with my beliefs. And it could be that I wouldn't have problems, but no knowing that till I meet the roommates.

At the moment, it's best for me to research. It actually helps, kind of, that I haven't been able to practice. I'm far more comfortable knowing that I'll have a good foundation of knowledge before I ever try to cast a spell. smile

Are you looking into Wicca specifically or general witchcraft?  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Bunny Hermione

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:32 pm
Esiris

Are you looking into Wicca specifically or general witchcraft?

Not Wicca. I've got a pretty deep-seated anxiety of being in groups of people. Plus, I've always felt like spirituality is private. I suppose best to say is just general witchcraft.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:34 pm
Bunny Hermione

Not Wicca. I've got a pretty deep-seated anxiety of being in groups of people. Plus, I've always felt like spirituality is private. I suppose best to say is just general witchcraft.
Ok- you confused me earlier when you told people you were looking for Wicca.

You don't need any tools to practice other forms of witchcraft- or you could just use household tools instead.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Bunny Hermione

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:37 pm
Esiris
Bunny Hermione

Ok- you confused me earlier when you told people you were looking for Wicca.

You don't need any tools to practice other forms of witchcraft- or you could just use household tools instead.

Oh. If I put Wicca anywhere that was a mistake. It's been about 6 years since I stopped looking into Wicca itself. Sorry about that.

I should look into that. I hadn't even thought about just using innocuous things. Thanks for the idea. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Bunny Hermione

Oh. If I put Wicca anywhere that was a mistake. It's been about 6 years since I stopped looking into Wicca itself. Sorry about that.

I should look into that. I hadn't even thought about just using innocuous things. Thanks for the idea. smile

I just misunderstood. cat_sweatdrop

Just to say- even coven rituals have a personal element. Wicca doesn't have dogma, so while you share the experiences and mysteries that you can't access alone, that doesn't mean they tell you how to interpret them.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Bunny Hermione

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:50 pm
Esiris
Bunny Hermione

I just misunderstood. cat_sweatdrop

Just to say- even coven rituals have a personal element. Wicca doesn't have dogma, so while you share the experiences and mysteries that you can't access alone, that doesn't mean they tell you how to interpret them.

All clear. I'd heard that it wasn't dogma, but I forgot about it. Hm...I suppose a coven just probably isn't right for me. I get nervous even thinking about it. Probably it's purely from my anxiety of dealing with people, since covens aren't anything to be nervous about. It is a different perspective though, since the few pagan-witch friends I have are all solitaries, so I don't personally know anyone in a coven.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:03 am
Erise Crewe
Sanguina Cruenta

Why would you have done anything at this point? You've barely discovered witchcraft.

my first thought was 'peer pressure! scream ' I'm j/k it's part of being new xd seems like even complete newbies have started one so i was wondering when to begin sweatdrop

IMO, you can start your BOS whenever you feel like, with whatever you feel like.
Start when you feel ready to do so and add/subtract whatever you want to.
It's, in short, a very detailed diary of your studies, your research, your trials/errors, your journey.
Even if you're just starting out, it wouldn't hurt to begin compiling things.
If in the future, you decide it's not your true path then so be it. No harm done.  

mominchat

mominchat

Tipsy Vampire

10,300 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Battle: Defender 100
  • Tipsy 100

SilvyrRayn

Blessed Mage

9,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:02 pm
I love to keep a list of stones that I own as well as their meanings. I also keep print outs of a bunch of different tarot spreads.  
*~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff