• Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:25 pm
Sachie Whitby
LilChibiusa
Sachie Whitby
GreenInkling
Sachie Whitby
LilChibiusa
Thank goodness for IRC and bittorrent. I don't know how I would get my j-drama without them. Btw, the funny thing is that my downloading is actually legal since none of those dramas are licensed in the US. rofl I try to buy the domestic stuff, but you can't exactly buy j-drama at Best Buy. But, what you say about the blanket is true. I'm willing to bet that everyone breaks some copyright law or other online on a daily basis, even if they don't realize it. If you quote something online, it's technically copyright infringement because any idea posted online is automatically protected under law, or at least that's what I was told in my computer courses in school. Hey, I'm quoting you without written permission, so I'm technically breaking the breaking the law! Yay! xd rofl

Yes, you're right about quoting. If you quote Twilight in a discussion to prove how bad it is, you've committed copyright infringement under SOPA. sweatdrop

That's horrific!
    How would academics write papers any more if they have to get written permission from every single source they quote?

I'm sure that there would be exceptions to that for things like academic papers. However when you're talking about someone who is overly sensitive about their mediocre work, like the Twilight author and her obsessed fans for example, someone is bought to claim copyright infringement over passages from the books being quoted to cite why it is so terribly written.

Need I point out the mess in the forums when fans of Homestuck went up in arms over candy corn horns on Gaia along with a bunch of mood bubbles, most of which were of the zodiac. WHAT? Since when did Homestuck invent the zodiac.

They were UPSET about it? eek If anything, I would have thought that they would be happy to have those items! Gaia has made unofficial items of several of my favorite shows, books, and movies, and I've loved the items! How would anyone be unhappy to get free stuff for things they love? confused

I cannot find the threads anymore, but they were getting very inflammatory. The general idea was that they saw ALL the items [even the zodiac mood bubbles] as copyright infringement.

That's ridiculous. The zodiac was around far before Homestuck ever came into being. Using that logic, people could get say that talking about pencils is copyright infringement since students use them in books and tv shows. xp  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:36 pm
I'm not entirely sure what this is all about, but since when does one country control the Internet anyway?

I may be misunderstanding, but from what I've read with you guys talking about it, if it's not yours, you can't talk about it, use it, or anything of the sort without jail-time?
Why can't people just take the sticks out of their a** and let people do what they want (within reason, of course). If anything, people talking about it or showing it off or anything of the sort should be seen as FREE PUBLICITY by the people who own whatever is being used/talked about.

I haven't heard much about it at all here in Canada, but anything that happens south of the border affects us up here in the end, so whatever happens we'll likely follow suit, and from the general unpleasantness I'm seeing, that would royally suck the big one.  

Delightfully Evil LordM

Shameless Bunny

13,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Heckler 50
  • Hygienic 200

Mademoiselle Alvinette

Vice Captain

Beloved Agent

13,925 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:48 pm
Delightfully Evil LordM
If anything, people talking about it or showing it off or anything of the sort should be seen as FREE PUBLICITY by the people who own whatever is being used/talked about.

THIS!!! This to the INFINITY power! I've been mostly silent about the SOPA debate before, mainly because I hadn't read the bill, but also because I thought that the uproar was "much ado about nothing." (In fact, after having tried to read the actual bill and still not being able to understand much, I STILL wonder if there might be some overreaction going on, even though what I've read of the bill scares me half to death now.) Here's where I stand: First of all, and this is the only part of the bill that I agree with: piracy IS a problem. Yes, we know that many popular musicians, movie stars, etc. are already gazillionaires and most of them are not hurting for money, but it's still keeping entertainers from earning royalties that belong to them. HOWEVER... I understand the entertainment industry not wanting people to be able to download TV shows and movies for free (and this is technically ALREADY illegal), but in my attempt to read the actual bill and wade through all the legalese to see what the thing actually SAYS, I can't get over how unnecessarily DRACONIAN this whole thing is. For one thing, INTERNET PIRACY IS ALREADY ILLEGAL. That part of the law is redundant. Secondly, as LordM points out, we're not in a one-world government; there's a little thing called NATIONAL SOVEREIGNTY that prevents one nation from punishing deeds committed in another nation except when acts of war are involved. We have NO jurisdiction over websites set up in other countries (like that famous one--you probably know the one wink --in Sweden). The ONLY way even THAT part of the bill is constitutional is if it ONLY affects people IN THE US who use those sites.

Even so, it's not so much the (unnecessary and overstepping the U.S. government's jurisdiction) provisions against illegal downloads that bother me so much; the extent of the bill is what bothers me the most. Granted, I am neither a lawyer nor a politician, but I am a concerned citizen who reveres the Constitution as the law of the land and who places a great deal of value on the Bill of Rights. That said, I know I couldn't understand a good bit of the legalese in the SOPA bill...and that's a big part of what bothers me. They say that ignorance of the law is no excuse, but when ordinary people don't even understand the law they might be breaking, that's a problem. What's worse, even the parts I understood just strike me as unconstitutional. Again, I understand that the creative folks in the entertainment industry don't want people plagiarizing their works, but the wording of this bill is so vague and confusing that it could easily shut down free speech. That's a DIRECT violation of the free-speech provision of the First Amendment. So far (to my knowledge), the only exception ever made to the free-speech guarantee is when there is what former Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. referred to as a "clear and present danger" to the American public; that is, if lives are in danger...the classic example of this exception is that you can't yell "Fire!" in a theater unless the building really is burning. But...something like quoting Star Trek lines in an Internet forum is REALLY.NO.BIG.DEAL!!! Especially if you do like most people and actually NAME WHAT YOU'RE QUOTING. And what about pictures? What if the bill becomes law and I have to take down my Gaia profile because I have an Alvin and the Chipmunks picture on it? I think I would be heartbroken, because I'm a devoted Chipmunks fan and don't mean anyone any harm. I have the Chipmunks on my profile BECAUSE I love them (and because Chibi made my profile for me BASED ON the fact that I love the Chipmunks!).

Okay, 'nuff of my rambling on about nothing. Bottom line is, I am one of those people who always is skeptical of new bills/new laws; I'm of the mind that we don't need new laws nearly as much as we need to enforce the ones we already have. I understand the reasoning behind SOPA, but I can't agree with the heavy-handed wording and the penalties for comparatively minor infractions, and I ESPECIALLY can't support a bill that threatens to make people worry about going to jail for (for instance) belonging to an online Trekkie group that posts (properly credited, of course!) images and quotes from the show just so fans can enjoy them. As a student, I've done a LOT of quoting in my time and have even used images in my papers. AND THIS IS PERFECTLY LEGAL--EVEN ENCOURAGED--AS LONG AS YOU CITE THE SOURCE OF THE QUOTE/IMAGE. I don't see why the Internet should be any different. Responsible people--and that includes most of us, I think--already know how to cite the source of their quotes/images that they post, and WE'RE ALREADY DOING IT. Yes, Internet piracy is a problem, but making criminals out of well-meaning fans is NOT!!!!!!!! the solution. Just deal with the people who ARE the problem (e.g. the ones who take their cell phones to the movies and record the whole film to post it online later) and leave the rest of us alone. /rant

*steps off SOPA soap box and gets a long, cold drink of water*  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:27 am
I will just make one simple statement...I don't want to end up like China or Iran. Both countries censor everything, most of all the internet. If I want to get up to trouble then damnit I should be able to and then accept the consequences of what happens. I don't like to get into political debates because of how easily inflamed they are but I don't need the government to tell me what I can and cannot do...human beings have to decide that for themselves. Scary how tight we are allowing the government to gain a hold on us...pretty soon everything will be illegal. Hell in some states spitting in the streets already is.  

GalateasFire

Shameless Lunatic

Mademoiselle Alvinette

Vice Captain

Beloved Agent

13,925 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:03 pm
YES, EXACTLY! It only starts with the copyrighted stuff, but think how many other things this bill and similar legislation could be interpreted to cover. I'm actually against hate-speech laws for the same reason. Do I like to hear people spewing venom against others just because we're all different? No, but I don't want their speech to be silenced either. The First Amendment protects free speech, not the "right" of people not to be offended. And remember how the book-burning started in Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451? It was because the government decided to censor the most "offensive" works, and pretty soon EVERY printed word had to go because it offended SOMEBODY out there. Yeah, I know it's technically a fallacy to invoke the "slippery slope" argument and proclaim that one thing will lead to another, but this very "fallacy" has actually been proven true in history, time and time again. Anyway...yeah, I worry about what will happen to the Internet if this thing passes, and not just sites like Gaia that have items parodying copyrighted things (and by the way, isn't parody an exception to the copyright law? If so, Weird Al is the biggest criminal out there! blaugh ). I worry about fanfiction and roleplay (both of which are a big part of Gaia, but also on other sites), and political blogs too. Sure, there are some blogs that I KNOW will make me mad (not saying which ones because I don't want to get into arguments over politics...or anything else for that matter sweatdrop ), but I just do like most sensible adults do: I don't read 'em! /rant  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:16 pm
If this thing passes, I'm staying Japan. >.< (If I get in, that is. Okay, Let's just put it this way: If I don't make it this year, I'm going to keep trying every year until I make it in!) Anyway, I completely agree with you, Alv. How many times do insane ruling come out of technicalities with wording? If what you say is true, the very wording could spell disaster, not to mention kill fan-bases and geek conventions. xp What good would the internet be if this thing passed? Think about it! You could get sued for posting a recipe on a cooking site because it just so happened to be identical to a recipe on some other site you've never heard of. No one is safe with SOPA. @_@  

LilChibiusa
Captain

Playful Nerd

16,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Elocutionist 200

Ethereal Darkness

Wrathful Lover

23,425 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Tycoon 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:19 pm

SOPA = Secret Operation to Prison All

Last time I checked, America was NEVER striving to be China... so what's this bullshit about it being good to be like China in terms of the internet.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:54 pm
Good news! I heard that SOPA was killed in congress! biggrin  

LilChibiusa
Captain

Playful Nerd

16,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Elocutionist 200

SeraphimDiablos
Crew

3,350 Points