Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)
RUNE WORKSHOP Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:53 am
Odin is one of the deities I work with, so I'm good to go there. Am trying to catch up on my reading of the Eddas, it's something I've been meaning to do for a while, I started the Poetic a bit ago, so am continuing on with that.

I've done some exploration with runes before, have one set I made on some found rocks, and am working on carving another set out of bones.

Many, many years ago, I was introduced to runes by the book by Blum, which I have since learned has a pretty bad reputation. Recently I've read and worked with interpretations from Futhark (by Edred Thorsson) and Teutonic magic (by Kveldulf Gundarsson).

I am always excited to go through the runes, and deeper my understanding of each one. I kind of struggled with them for years, most of the websites I had found or books that included little snippets on runes just listed them with a list of attributes for each one which I found very hard to work with. I definitely find that building my understanding of Germanic legends and stories has made a lot of things click in my mind.

I really like the rune consecration in the rune guide linked.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:58 am
I'm not a fan of Thorsson myself as I find him way too esoteric, but I think a variation of sources isn't a bad thing. smile  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:51 am
Yeah, I've heard mixed things about Thorsson. I didn't find him so bad, but if I can at least slog through something and get an idea or two I think it's worth it. I've run across things before that I had a hard time even forcing myself to skim for interesting thoughts.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:16 pm
I have a question.
I've always known the runes to be divination tools. Are there other uses for them?  

Angel Bruja

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:33 pm
Angel Bruja
I have a question.
I've always known the runes to be divination tools. Are there other uses for them?

Magic. Writing. Learning. They're Mysteries and they're energies.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:32 pm
In a couple of days we'll be starting on Fehu. How does everyone feel so far? Is more time needed for getting a grounding? Do people have any questions or concerns?

I know there have been some questions on approaching Odin and what to give as offerings. Alcohol is the standard, usually a dark ale or a mead, or maybe a mulled wine. If you can't get that, a good cider might suffice. You may want to offer meat instead. You don't have to give an offering, of course; letting him know your intent to study his runes and giving thanks at this point may be enough. You can always do something else later on.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Talesofbiro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:11 pm
I was wondering about food offerings. For drinks you simply pour the offering on the ground, but what do you do with food? Leaving dry cat food outside attracts raccoons, so I'm not comfortable leaving meat. I read somewhere that they let their dogs eat it once they were done, although I don't think my parents would be too happy about that. So what else do you do with food offerings?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:38 pm
Sanzolvr29
I was wondering about food offerings. For drinks you simply pour the offering on the ground, but what do you do with food? Leaving dry cat food outside attracts raccoons, so I'm not comfortable leaving meat. I read somewhere that they let their dogs eat it once they were done, although I don't think my parents would be too happy about that. So what else do you do with food offerings?

Typically when I have food offerings, I leave the plate on my altar overnight, and then there is a tree outside, where I place the offerings the next day. If you are concerned about animals being attracted, maybe find a spot that is a bit further away from your house. In general though, it doesn't have to be a huge amount, and if it's a one time thing, it shouldn't attract to much (at least not for long, since it will be gone quick enough).  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:53 am
WEEK TWO: Fehu

Welcome to week 2 and Fehu, the first rune of the futhark and of the first aett. Fehu is generally translated as cattle, or moveable wealth.

Here are Pollington's translations of the various rune-poems. Let us know your thoughts and impressions!

Old English:
Wealth is a comfort to any man / yet each person
must share it out well / if he wants to win
a good name before his lord.

Norwegian:
Wealth causes kinsmen's strife;
the wolf feeds
itself in the wood.

Icelandic:
Wealth is kinsmen's strife
and sea's flame
and serpent's way

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:53 am
Hmm...Wealth is/causes kinsmen's strife
Well, that is true, wealth or lack of it can cause strife even in today's world. Wealth of knowledge however...hmmm...

Also Sang, I dunno if you saw this post I made in the other rune thread, but I'd just like your opinion on this (because I have no idea whether I was juat having an odd day or whether it was something a little more than that):
Does blood count? Because all day today I have been spontaneously bleeding: I got up and noticed my toe was bleeding, I got onto a bus and got a blood nose, and then when I was walking home all of a sudden one of my fingers starts to drip blood.
I bought a bottle of mead anyway. Australian made, and highly recommended.

I might want to add that at about 5:30am that same morning I woke up for no apparent reason, just happened to stick my head out the window and saw two hares feeding outside my window. They clearly knew I was watching them.  

iKillCaustic

Ruthless Hunter

18,040 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Nostalgic Scrapbooker 50
  • Friend of the Goat 100

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:29 am
I think I've seen more arguments caused by knowledge (and people's way of expressing their knowledge) than by money.

I think Fehu helps to remind us that monetary wealth is what you make of it. Money itself doesn't create happiness, although it often gives us the means to be happy. If we focus too much on the money (or even on the 'stuff' we can get or do with it) instead of focusing on the experiences, we can twist it around into something that can be cruel (by showing off to others how much more we have)or stingy (by feeling it is better to keep the money just to have it than to spend it wisely).

I also think that Fehu reminds us that wealth of this sort is mutable: it changes. I did a lot of thinking a while back about Fehu and the connection between cattle and wealth (being that I am not a rancher or herder and such my personal wealth has no direct link to cattle). Herd animals can be a continuing source of wealth and many of them can product things without being sacrificed (like milk or wool). They also produce offspring, and so will multiply themselves. All these things lead to your overall wealth increasing. But they are a very transient sort of wealth. Eventually, every beast will die, and if you haven't managed the herd well, you are left with nothing. You also have to prepare for natural emergencies that can threaten your cattle, or human threats (such as theft).

If you talk to (or read about) wealth and wealthy people, almost all say that the money itself is nothing, what is important is what you can do with it. I see this quite strongly in the Old English rune poem, where it talks of sharing. I think it is pretty common to judge the wealthy, not by how much money they are worth, but by how they act, what do they do that is charitable and how do they carry themselves (do they treat others as if they are better because they have more money).  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:53 am
I think "potential" is a key word for me when it comes to Fehu. Money isn't anything by itself; it's potential things, potential food or clothing or possessions. Use that potential well and it can grow.

But if you let wealth accumulate and never do anything with it, it's not really worth what you think it's worth. It sits there contributing nothing to anyone, and breeding resentment because it's not being spent. Because it's not really just about sharing it but about spending it, keeping the assets liquid and flowing around the community, which breeds more potential. You pay the carpenter who can then afford to trade with some other guy for items to make something better than what he made before... Money doesn't just make the world go 'round because it's a reflection of power, or leverage, but because of trade.

And money is best spent sharing it with those you love and your community, thus making life more pleasant and easy for everyone and cementing your friendships further by holding or contributing to feasts and so on.

iKill: I don't really know. I've never bled spontaneously before in such a way. Maybe it's a sign. We do blood runes, after all. I hope you enjoy the mead ^_^  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:46 am
I like Fehu's poetry. It's very straightforward.

Hoarding wealth - of any kind - brings you nothing in the end. Wealth is easier to measure in what you give away, than what you keep. Wealth isn't only measured in money or goods. A gift for a gift can include friendship and community.

Wealth that doesn't move around makes for envy and strife. Fighting over any form of wealth - be it cattle or gold - leaves the waiting wolves well-fed by the fallen.

Wealth is a beacon - it calls men across the seas to the unknown.
Wealth is a weapon - greed blinds men, eases the passing and dealings of the untrustworthy.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:55 pm
Do you associate Fehu with fire? I forget where I came across that association, but Fehu was connected to the primal fire of Muspellheim (and Uruz with Niflheim).  

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200

iKillCaustic

Ruthless Hunter

18,040 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Nostalgic Scrapbooker 50
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:31 am
Sanguina Cruenta
And money is best spent sharing it with those you love and your community, thus making life more pleasant and easy for everyone and cementing your friendships further by holding or contributing to feasts and so on.

iKill: I don't really know. I've never bled spontaneously before in such a way. Maybe it's a sign. We do blood runes, after all. I hope you enjoy the mead ^_^

Very true - I love buying my friends unique locally made gifts. It makes me feel happy giving things to my friends as gifts (especially when it's sontaneous) and knowing that a local artist is being recognised.

Well, I shall make my offering tonight, now that the house is quiet (sometimes living on campus is such a drag). After I introduce myself, I shall ask about the bleeding.
The mead smells lovely by the way - all spicy and warm.  
*~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff