Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
What do you do the month of a convention? & misc. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How long till your next con?
  Less than a month
  Too long!
  Next few months
  $ Gold $
View Results

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:20 pm
Wielder of Mighty Pencil!
oTrissa
Wielder of Mighty Pencil!
The month before the con? Frantically try to finish the costumes I was procrastinating over before, of course!
The only reason I procrastinate is I have to drive to my mothers house to sew, I don't have a car and I work a ton, not a very easy thing to get done.
Seems like a lot of people do it last minute though.

My problem is that I make lots of costumes, and they're not just for whatever convention is coming up, so I'm always getting distracted by other projects, because of course they all look like more fun than the one with the nearest deadline...
Ha, yeah that's how it seems sometimes!  
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:48 pm
What do you do the month before going to a convention?
Once school is all out for me and I know that I can slack off, I start making full, blown out preparations since I can devote my time and effort into it. I start making a checklist for myself and friends if they want to have one, and then make sure I have all my cosplays and props ahead of time so that I'm not rushing to find it the night before. Other than that I just play the waiting game and do stuff to make the time go faster so that the con will be here before I even know it.

How many of you tend to end up doing last minute costumes the month before a con or hell, as I've done even the night (or a few nights) before the con?
Two years ago that's what happened with a friend and I. I was cosplaying Death the Kid and while we were walking to said convention center, he was sewing the stripes on my jacket. I was grateful that he was willing to do that while we were walking. xD

What do you do in preparing for a con the nights before, whether you stay in a hotel or just drive to the con everyday?
If it's the night before I make sure all my stuff is ready and I put it in a spot where I can easily grab it and go when we are about to leave. If I'm heading to a friend's place then once I get there we load up the car ahead of time with our luggage and then just sit around the house and wait until it's time to go. One year I went with a friend and we drove back and forth all four days from there to my house. It was horrible and I never plan on doing that again. X_X;;;

What things do you bring with you to the con to keep busy in lines or just spice up your stay?
Sometimes if I remember it from the hotel room, I'll bring a portable gaming device or iPod as I wait in line. Generally however, I have a friend that stands in line with me so we just wait and chat amongst ourselves.

I'm curious too, what is everyone's favorite convention to go to?
I've only ever been to Anime Expo, but it's still my favourite regardless. xD

&& How long does it take you to get into full cosplay generally?
About 15-20 minutes depending on how easy it is.

Spicy Waifu

Precious Reindeer

10,750 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:13 pm
Fidelis Noctua
Once school is all out for me and I know that I can slack off, I start making full, blown out preparations since I can devote my time and effort into it. I start making a checklist for myself and friends if they want to have one, and then make sure I have all my cosplays and props ahead of time so that I'm not rushing to find it the night before. Other than that I just play the waiting game and do stuff to make the time go faster so that the con will be here before I even know it.

How many of you tend to end up doing last minute costumes the month before a con or hell, as I've done even the night (or a few nights) before the con?
Two years ago that's what happened with a friend and I. I was cosplaying Death the Kid and while we were walking to said convention center, he was sewing the stripes on my jacket. I was grateful that he was willing to do that while we were walking. xD

What do you do in preparing for a con the nights before, whether you stay in a hotel or just drive to the con everyday?
If it's the night before I make sure all my stuff is ready and I put it in a spot where I can easily grab it and go when we are about to leave. If I'm heading to a friend's place then once I get there we load up the car ahead of time with our luggage and then just sit around the house and wait until it's time to go. One year I went with a friend and we drove back and forth all four days from there to my house. It was horrible and I never plan on doing that again. X_X;;;

What things do you bring with you to the con to keep busy in lines or just spice up your stay?
Sometimes if I remember it from the hotel room, I'll bring a portable gaming device or iPod as I wait in line. Generally however, I have a friend that stands in line with me so we just wait and chat amongst ourselves.

I've only ever been to Anime Expo, but it's still my favourite regardless. xD

About 15-20 minutes depending on how easy it is.
A checklist is always a good idea, I need to make one for when I pack as I leave in a week.
Yeah rushing to make a costume the night before never ends up good.

Ha that's a good friend. I would hate to have to sew at a con.

Yeah I hate driving back and forth, always prefer staying at the hotel there, would much rather be at the con.

Yeah that's what most people do. I sometimes play cards with people waiting in line. smile

Is anime expo a big con?

That's pretty quick. This year I have to do my hair really done up for my cosplay...it's going to take me around an hour to get fully ready. It's gonna be crazy. I'm going to be doing a lot of damage to my hair with teasing too and I'm worried about that...  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:32 pm
Panic lol. No seriously, I make the final preparations for everything...around that time, a con usually has its tenative schedule out so I make sure to look at that and begin planning for what I might want to attend..also, I start saving up money for the weekend if I haven't already done so. (Though I don't really buy much at cons unless I see something I REALLY want)

I haven't done that...yet.

The night before? Well I make sure that my suitcase, backpack, etc. is all packed and ready to go when we are ready to leave for the hotel.

My phone is my savior..lol. I have a DS that I could bring (and I did once) but I find myself getting distracted too easily to actually play something. Most of the time, I strike up a conversation with the person in front or back of me.

Favorite convention? Hm I don't have one. I'm still kinda new to the con scene.. (Only been to five cons so far) But my first con, Anime Blast Chattanooga, was awesome so I'll say that one. =]

It just depends on how much I gotta put on, makeup to apply, any other special things... but typically 15-20 minutes.

ChocoboxDreamer

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:03 pm
I do a few things during the last month before going to a convention:

1. Save Money for admission and buying Anime DVD's, Artbooks, Original artwork from Artists, etc.
2. Make sure that the Cosplay Outfit that I picked for the convention is ready to go. This includes doing last minute touch ups for it.
3. If it's a con that's more than a couple hours driving time away I double check the driving route.
4. If I'm staying at a Motel and or friends place make sure that the reservation is good or that the friend is ready for my arrival.
5. Check out Con's website for the latest updates.
6. Talk to "Cosplay" friends to see who I can meet at the con!! smile
7. Aniticipate the fun that I'm going to have! XD  
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:31 pm
smithers456
I do a few things during the last month before going to a convention:

1. Save Money for admission and buying Anime DVD's, Artbooks, Original artwork from Artists, etc.
2. Make sure that the Cosplay Outfit that I picked for the convention is ready to go. This includes doing last minute touch ups for it.
3. If it's a con that's more than a couple hours driving time away I double check the driving route.
4. If I'm staying at a Motel and or friends place make sure that the reservation is good or that the friend is ready for my arrival.
5. Check out Con's website for the latest updates.
6. Talk to "Cosplay" friends to see who I can meet at the con!! smile
7. Aniticipate the fun that I'm going to have! XD

That reminds me I need to print out my ticket confirmation for my con. x.x;
Saving money for admission only a month before a con isn't the best, you should get pre-sale tickets.

Sounds like a good and fun list though. smile  

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

ResidentCelery

8,425 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:04 pm
The earlier months before a con, once I decide to go, are more hotel prep and getting the tickets while they're cheap. Once that's set out, getting the money together and making sure I have enough spending cash, if any. I also figure out what cosplays I might do, but I'm picky and usually don't do new ones.

This year, I did decide to finish a costume I half did last year and decided not to do. It's a bit better now, so we'll see. As for last minute costumes, my first one was last minute. We were going to take the train down to a con and the night before, we were sewing my first cosplay because it wasn't even started. It came out great, though. For something made last minute, that is.

A couple weeks til the con, I start finishing up anything I may have to do or have procrastinated on. When it gets down to about 2 weeks, I made a list of things I need to bring. First, a list of essentials, then a list of other stuff. If I don't have enough room, I start taking things off the list.

I don't really do anything throughout the day if I get bored. I'm usually with a friend and we think of something. This thread is good for ideas. I usually don't make friends at cons often, which is a shame. ):

There are a couple of cons in the area, and I go to one in Northern NJ a lot, but my favorite was one I went to in Florida on vacation once. It was different and a nice change. :3

And my most elaborate cosplay takes me about 10 minutes to get into properly. 15 to do touch ups before I put it on.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:38 pm
oTrissa
Is anime expo a big con?

Oh yeah. I believe that Otakon beats it in terms of how big it is and how many people show up to it every year. xD

Spicy Waifu

Precious Reindeer

10,750 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50

Commander Iowa

O.G. Bloodsucker

6,890 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:50 pm
What I do before a convention? Usually try to get all my school work done and work on costumes. Plus taking care of hotel and getting con tickets while it's still cheap. Keeps me pretty busy since the big one I go now just so happens to move it's date to right around mid terms. Lets just say this past semester was an interesting challenge that I'll have to repeat for another two years heh heh... But yeah lots of cosplaying making and finishing stuff up. The actual night before I pack up all my costumes and hotel stuff, finalize my line up for costumes, make sure all assignments are really done and then finish up on any last minute costumes. It's tiring but being at the convention makes it worth it every time.
As for favorite convention I don't really have one yet. I've only been to to different ones and both are fairly small and it's expensive to travel. But being stuck on an island I'm lucky to even have a convention to go to led alone two now.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:30 pm
[1] What do you do the month before going to a convention?
I get more excited the closer it is to Otafest. I also start to make a list of what to bring to Otafest. I also make sure that I have a transit pass of some sort or enough money to use transit for all three days.

[2] How many of you tend to end up doing last minute costumes the month before a con or hell, as I've done even the night (or a few nights) before the con?
So far, I have always had my outfit completed way before the month of Otafest. However, for Otafest 2012, I made my guitar a few weeks before it, but I did have my outfits completed way before though.

[3] What do you do in preparing for a con the nights before, whether you stay in a hotel or just drive to the con everyday?
I make a list or re-check my list of what to bring for each day of Otafest. Then, I pre-pack for each day, so that way I can just put each day's worth of stuff into my bag easily. I also print out any useful information, such as maps and the Otafest schedule, when it's available online. Even though they do have the schedule printed off for Otafest, I still print it off at home, so that I can pre-plan on which things I want to check out and/or participate in. I also try to get has much rest as possible since I know Otafest will wear me out, but it's worth it in the end though. X3

[4] What things do you bring with you to the con to keep busy in lines or just spice up your stay?
For Otafest 2010 (my first time at an anime convention and at Otafest), I don't think I brought anything with me. For Otafest 2011, I brought some music to listen to and my Nintendo DS Lite. For Otafest 2012, I didn't bring anything since there was a pre-registration potluck picnic the Saturday before, so I got an 'all-weekend' pass, which meant I didn't need to wait in line.

[5] What is everyone's favorite convention to go to?
I have only been to Otafest, so I guess it's my favorite anime convention so far. XD

[6] How long does it take you to get into full cosplay generally?
Probably between 30 minutes to a hour, which excludes taking a shower beforehand.

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100

Calorline

Magical Conventioneer

7,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:27 pm
Usually lose sleep in excitement over the con, haha.
But also usually finishing up whatever my newest cosplay project is.
And then when that's done...counting down days!

The first time I went to a con, I made the costume at the beginning of the month/right at the end of the previous month. Usually, though, I like to start new projects 2-3 months out from the next con date. But what ends up happening is the hardest part becomes the last part...which gets finished within a week or two of the con.

Since cons are usually only 30 minutes-1 hour away, me and my friends usually drive to and from each day. As for the nights before, I organize and make sure I have all pieces of the costumes I'll be wearing laid out somewhere in my room. And then I also pack a bag with snacks and stuff like my camera.

I'll probably start bringing my 3DS so I can use StreetPass, but other than that, I usually talk to my friends or just people-watch. I also like bringing my PokeWalker along, even if I'm not cosplaying from Pokemon that day.

My favorite is probably Anime Weekend Atlanta. I like where the con is, and I like the big crowd that's always there. Plus the panels are great, and Gaia also goes to that one.

How long does it take you to get into full cosplay generally?
Depending on which outfit...character without wig...usually 30 mintues....with wig..maybe an hour? I used to have really long hair, now I'm not so sure how long it would take. It seems each cosplay I make, it's more complicated, which makes getting into it...interesting. And more time-consuming.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:43 pm
Finish costumes, and stress because I usually end up dropping at least one costume last minute. I try and settle everything with my hotel mates, how much and the number of people.

I always end up sewing in the hotel room for Fanime, SacAnime I bring less and tend to bring costumes I already have done so I haven't had to sew in the hotel for Sac.

I don't really have any routine, I just try to get a good nights sleep.

Nothing much beside my phone (iPhone) and iPod, I'm running around too much to have any downtime.

Fanime!

How long does it take you to get into full cosplay generally?
Depends on the costume, it takes about 30 minutes to an hour and a half. It also depends on how much makeup I have to put on, if I stop to help other my other friends get into their costumes, and if someone is hogging the bathroom.  

Cariella

Questionable Shopper

HirotoSumi

Friendly Friend

36,725 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:55 am
It's actually a month before Otakon, so the excitement is increasing with each passing day. I always get psyched during the month before a convention, and sometimes I dream about it. I also repair or fix anything that is broken from last year. I have a few props to glue together...

I've never ordered a costume last minute ever since I've had some awful experiences. I was planning on doing Cursed Seal Sasuke Lv. 2 from Naruto at Katsucon, and I asked a commissioner to make the wings for me. I had everything else ready, like the body paint. However, the commissioner didn't even start on the cosplay until a week beforehand, and when I got the wings they looked awful. I ended up not cosplaying as him at all, and returning what I bought. I also ordered a Code Geass school uniform and received it a few days before the convention. The fabric was see-through, so I ended up not being Shirley, and the wig wasn't on time either. From now on, I'm ordering everything months ahead of time, or making sure that the item will be shipped a week before the convention, not the week of.

I usually head to the convention either the morning of or the night before, depending on if I'm staying overnight or not. I make sure that I have what I need, like the payment paper to get the badge. I always pre-register ahead of time, unless it's a one-day convention for me. Since the conventions are usually an hour away, I can't go until the actual convention date. However, it's cool to pass by convention areas during other times of the year and reminisce.

I usually don't bring anything with me to entertain myself, to prevent it from being stolen or lost. However, sometimes I play around with the camera and look at the photographs that I took, or at my cell phone. I might bring my DS with me this time since Thursday is usually the night where I'm stuck in the hotel room for hours.

I love going to Otakon. I've had nice experiences at other conventions too, but Otakon is the one that I tend to look forward to the most. I'm really psyched about it right now...  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:17 pm
I'm still usually sewing the month of the con. Lol. I really have to start my cosplays for August. I'm so nervous to start them. I don't want to mess up. D: I also study my character and make travel preparations.  

Pearlescent Priestess

Bashful Healer

18,200 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Battle: Cleric 100

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:38 pm
La Petite Medic
I'm still usually sewing the month of the con. Lol. I really have to start my cosplays for August. I'm so nervous to start them. I don't want to mess up. D: I also study my character and make travel preparations.
well the earlier you start, if you mess up, the more time you'd have to fix them  
Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff