Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place where people learning languages or studying linguistics can come to discuss and hang out! 

Tags: language, linguistics, polyglot, linguist, foreign languages 

Reply The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild
Alpha and Omega Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shiina-kun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:45 pm
Haha I bet you were just waiting for that one!

陸上競技 : rikujoukougi : athletics

P.S. I'm still confused as to whether we're supposed to be using the last letter or the last syllable... I've been using the last letter, but for chaining off another Japanese word it seems more natural to just use the last syllable.. Should I have done a word starting with "i" instead? @_@  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:54 pm
Haha no you're doing it right

いつでも・itsudemo - always, whenever  

The_Brightest_Moon
Crew

Shiina-kun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:56 pm
Ah okay. Whew!

もうしかして : moushikashite : perhaps (Japanese)  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:21 pm
emikodo
P.S. I'm still confused as to whether we're supposed to be using the last letter or the last syllable... I've been using the last letter, but for chaining off another Japanese word it seems more natural to just use the last syllable.. Should I have done a word starting with "i" instead? @_@

The reason I included the option to use the final syllable was for the sake of syllabic languages. If you so desire, you may use the whole syllable for that reason.
That said, you may only use the ending consonant if the word ends in a silent vowel.

All that aside.

Tegumen.

"Shell", Latin.

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

The_Brightest_Moon
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:44 pm
Long - means the exact same thing in French as in English  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:47 pm
The_Brightest_Moon

Long?
Tegumen doesn't end with l...

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

Shiina-kun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:01 pm
Shizuka Mizu
The_Brightest_Moon

Long?
Tegumen doesn't end with l...

I thought maybe she was replying to mine at first, but mine doesn't end with "L" either.. haha.

-Edit-

Oh wait, I think she was going off of "Shell"..  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:05 pm
emikodo
I thought maybe she was replying to mine at first, but mine doesn't end with "L" either.. haha.

-Edit-

Oh wait, I think she was going off of "Shell"..

I think so too. That's twice already! The other posted "Gelb" for "yellow", despite that the word I gave was "syngja"... Which does mean "to sing", and I think she was going off of the translation. What, are my contributions hard to follow? ;p  

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

Shiina-kun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:12 pm
Shizuka Mizu
I think so too. That's twice already! The other posted "Gelb" for "yellow", despite that the word I gave was "syngja"... Which does mean "to sing", and I think she was going off of the translation. What, are my contributions hard to follow? ;p

Haha, perhaps. Maybe it's because you're putting the translation in quotes? (I honestly have no idea and that's all I could come up with..)  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:18 pm
emikodo
Haha, perhaps. Maybe it's because you're putting the translation in quotes? (I honestly have no idea and that's all I could come up with..)

I suppose so. But if the quoted part is followed immediately by something like "Latin", then obviously the word I intended to post can't be what's there, because it isn't in Latin.
Furthermore, if one reads, the translated word doesn't always begin with the letter that the last word ended with. Blah.
I'll start bolding the word. Maybe that'll help.

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

Shiina-kun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:25 pm
Shizuka Mizu
I suppose so. But if the quoted part is followed immediately by something like "Latin", then obviously the word I intended to post can't be what's there, because it isn't in Latin.
Furthermore, if one reads, the translated word doesn't always begin with the letter that the last word ended with. Blah.

I'm guessing most people aren't familiar enough with Latin to realize the quoted part isn't in Latin, since many English roots are based in Latin. ..or it's just lack of attention.

In the meantime, do I just go off of "Long," or are we waiting for a correction?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:13 pm
emikodo
Shizuka Mizu

I'm guessing most people aren't familiar enough with Latin to realize the quoted part isn't in Latin, since many English roots are based in Latin. ..or it's just lack of attention.

In the meantime, do I just go off of "Long," or are we waiting for a correction?

Just go off "long". It's not that big a deal. Hopefully if I bold the word that will happen less.  

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

Shiina-kun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:21 pm
ゴロゴロ : gorogoro : rolling (sound effect) (Japanese)  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:26 pm
遅れる・Okureru - to be late  

The_Brightest_Moon
Crew

Munashii the Unseen

Informer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:44 pm
Uno. [One, a. - Italian]

The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff