Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)
Recommended Reading/Dewey Decimal System Guide Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have Books on Wicca been helpful in your learning?
  yes, they have!
  not really...
  i don't have any books yet, but i will soon!
View Results

Aleria Carventus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:01 pm
It's not exactly a wiccan book, but its been really useful.
It's called Healing Crystals and Gemstones and it's written by Dr Flora Peschek-Bohmer and Gisela Schreiber  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:53 pm
Oh my.... I've run the gambit on books. I have so many... and really, I believe the key is to read them, and see what rings true to you. As for the Silver Ravenwolf debate... I enjoyed her books from a very basic run-down level until she started with Teen Witch. Now, the book itself was okay... but the stuff that came after it... I kind of felt she sold out.

In the end, nothing can really be learned 100% from books. You have to read them, mull them over, and then reach inside to find what you feel... and make your own connection. Like any other book, read it with an open mind, and a grain of salt.

That said, I'll go ahead and list a few I enjoyed. (Most of the comments on these books are taken from the website I used to run.)

Incese, Oils, and Brews Scott CunninghamWould it be too much to say this is my herbal bible? It's FULL of recipies for oils, incense, and brews, but also in the back is a wonderful index of substitutions. Don't have Dragon's Blood and don't know what to use in it's place without throwing off the energies? Not to worry, Scott has you covered! Not just one suggestion but several. Also, you'll find a section which gives you the latin names of many of the herbs... very helpful for going to the local Garden Center... They might not know what Witch's Beard is, but I bet they'll know what it is if you give them a latin name.(Also very helpful for doing internet searches!)

Celtic Magick D.J. ConwayThis is a wonderfully inexpensive book that is a MUST for anyone interested in Celtic Magick. It has wonderful information about the deities in the back, and includes history, stories, and spells. If you like Celtic Wicca, then this is a book you can NOT be without!

Glamoury: Magic of the Celtic Green World Stephen Blamires A very good book on Celtic deities, and how to work with them. This book gives you exorcises to do, suggestiuons, warnings, and much more. If you want to work with deities of the Celtic varity, pick this book up!

True Magick Amber K Looking for a good introduction book? This is a good book to get. Have a friend looking into Wicca? This is a good book to give as a gift. A very decent starter book, it gives you a basic run down on what you might like to know before getting too much further into things.

Kitchen Witch's Cookbook Patricia TelescoLike to cook? Wish you could make every meal magickal some how? Let Patricia show you how. Not only are the recipies easy, they are WONDERFUL. Try Morgana's Herb and Cheese bread. You won't believe you made it yourself! Each recipie comes with festival serving suggestions, and easy substitutions, as well as an easy to loacte guide in the back for when you're looking for something to serve for Midsummer's Night, or Samhain.

Rocking The Goddess: Campus Wicca for the Student Practitioner Anthony Paige. A very good book for the Campus Wiccan, this book includes a lot of information, including Campus Wiccan/Pagan clubs across the US. It's a good book to have with you when you head off to college, or to give as a gift to a friend when they go.

Opening to Channel: How to Connect With Your Guide Sanaya Roman & Duane Packer A decent book to teach you how to learn to channel. This book will give you exorcises to follow, to help you connect to guides.

Fiction

Bell, Book and Murder Rosemary Edghill
--If you like murder mysteries, this is fairly good. The girl who solves the crimes is a witch in New York. Bell, Book and Murder is actually a collection of the three Bast mystery novels, and I loved it.  

PhoenixMoonStar

m3_3aT_mUffinS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:58 pm
Basically I recommend anything by McCoy, Cunnigham, Conway or Penzack(He actually has a really good 5 book series out right now).  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:44 am
Hmmm... Okay.. books that I have ejoyed or refer to often... Im just going to give you titles.. you people should know how to look them up from there.

Celestine Prophecy
Opening to Channel
How to Read Tarot
Rocking the Goddess
Bard's book of Pagan songs
Oils, Incense and Brews
Bell, Book and Murder

You know, I think I've raided Phoe's library too often. >_>

I've also enjoyed the Witches Almanacs... and the one Lwelleyn started putting out. They have pieces of good stuff in among all the BS.  

Kitanya_Rose

Kitanya_Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:48 am
These were books we had collected from our other guild on another site. As with all books, some will help you some won't. It all depends on what path you follow, what you're looking to do, and who you are. Don't believe everything you read just because it is in print. That said, these were recommended by at least three people (in the other guild) and the comments on the books are taken from that website.

Animal Magick: The Art of Recognizing and Working With Familiars. By D.J. Conway. Animals in any form can be familiars - living creatures you communicate with for the benefit of both of you. Be they real or imagined, animal familiars can forewarn you of danger, help you work magick, develop your psychic abilities, and heal. You don't have to be a Witch to have a familiar, just a desire to work with an animal (even an astral creature) for personal gain.

Animal Speak: The Spiritual and Magickal Powers of Creatures Great and Small. By Ted Andrews. Now, for perhaps the first time ever, myth and fact are combined in a manner that will teach you how to speak and understand the language of the animals in your life. Work with animals as totems and spirits. Helps you to determine your animal guides. Learn techniques for reading signs and omens in nature so you can open to higher perceptions and even prophecy. Includes a dictionary of animal, bird, insect, and reptile symbolism.

Aromatheraphy: The Complete Guild to Plant and Flower Essences for Health and Beauty. By: Daniele Ryman.While not a Wiccan Book...It is still a wonderful addition to any wiccan library. Especially useful if you work with Oils, Extracts, and other Plant derivitives... Trust me... You'll need this book.

Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft. By Ray Buckland. The most complete explanation of the study and practice of modern Wicca available. Covers all of the major "sects" of the Craft. Unites theory and practice into a complete self-study course for a group or a solitary practitioner. Topics discussed include the history, practice, composition, formulae, magick, herbology, and divination used in Wiccan practices. Highly recommended for those of you just starting out!!! It gives you a great basis to build on.

Celtic Magic. By DJ Conway. (see Phoenix's post above)

Celtic Myth and Magic By Edain McCoy. (no comments, but high recommendations)

Celtic Women's Spirituality. By Edain McCoy. A Wonderful book on Women's Spirituality, especially fromt he Celtic sense. Full of information, meditations, spells, and things to do.

Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem, and Metal Magick. By Scott Cunningham. This is the most complete book ever. Learn the magickal properties of crystals, gems, and metals. Reveals secrets of over 100 different gems and metals, from what they look like to their long hidden magickal powers. It also features numerous tables, a glossary, a bibliography, an index, and much, much more. An excellent resource book. Highly recommended!!!

Dancing With Dragons: Invoke Their Ageless Wisdom and Power. By D. J. Conway Access one of the most potent life forces in the astral universe: the wise and magickal dragon. Here is a ritual textbook that will teach you to call, befriend, and utilize the wisdom of these powerful mythical creatures for increased spiritual fulfillment, knowledge, health, and happiness. Find complete instructions for conducting spells, tapping dragon energy, and channeling power from dragon energy lines. Great Book!!! Look for it in either this cover, or a soft blue with three dragons and a lady on a cliff.

Earth, Air, Fire, Water By: Scott Cunningham. More than a sequal to Earth Power This book is a well written, and easy to follow continuation to it. While you do not need to have the first to use the second, if you do have the first, you will easily work with the second. Snow and Ice magick are some of the new areas Scott covers here.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:41 am
Earth Power By: Scott Cunningham. Work with the forces and energies of nature to bring about desired changes. This book shows how to use these energies, and gives a full range of charms, spells and rituals for nearly every practical purpose. Included are spells for breaking bad habits, healing, divination, protection, attracting love, and much more. Earth, Air, Water, Fire, wax, candle, and stone magick are discussed as well. It's a great book.

The Encyclopedia of Essential Oils. By Julia . Again, not a "Wiccan" book, but very helpful! This book is a MUST HAVE for anyone working with essential oils... It is FULL of information on each oil, the historical uses, modern uses, warnings... It has an easy to use Glossary in the back so you can look up "Skin Care" and fins all the oils reccomended for Shin Care... WONDERFUL BOOK!

The Secrets of Gypsy Fortune Telling. By Raymond Buckland. This book is wonderful. If you ever wondered about the 90% of the psychics you thought were faking it... This book tells you how they do it! It's also got some WONDERFUL ways to do readings... including a neat trick for finding a person's age! (I've used it, it works) Great hints for doing "Cold Readings" (As well as what they are wink ..)And an insider's look at the Gypsy Fortunetelling from a man who is part of that life!

Herbal Tonic Therapies. By Daniel B. Mowrey, Ph.D. Another Non-Wiccan book that I consider a MUST HAVE for anyone working with herbs... Full of information on the herbs, as well as warnings, uses, and suggestions. If you are going to work with herbs, this is a great book to have.  

Kitanya_Rose

Kitanya_Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:59 am
How to do Automatic Writing. By Edain McCoy. One of Llewellyn Publications How To Series, this book takes you through the steps of Automatic Writing. If you are looking to learn more about this form of divination, this is a good book to get. It won't cost you a lot, and it's very easy to understand.

How to Meet and Work with Your Spirit Guides By: Ted Andrews. One of Llewellyn Publications How To Series, this book takes you through the steps to Meet and Worrk with Guides.If you are interested in making contact with your guides, or making the connection you have stronger, this is a great book to get.It won't cost you a lot, and it's easy to understand.

The Kitchen Witch's Cookbook By: Patrica Telesco. (See Phoenix's post above)

Living Wicca By Scott Cunningham. The sequel to Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner. A fantastic guide for the solitary practioner. The sequel to Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner. It has a step-by-step guide for those who have made the conscious decision to bring their Wiccan spirituality into their everyday lives. Create your own Wiccan tradition and personal vision of the gods, design personal rituals and symbols, develop your own book of shadows, and become your own high priest or priestess.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:00 am
Norse Magic By: DJ Conway. Pretty much like her Celtic Magic Book, only this one is for Norse magic. Which is nice because you can't find too many of those around. Comes with Spells, the Deity index in the back, and stories of history from Norse Myths. Wonderful book for the person on a Norse tradtional path.

Incense, Oils, and Brews By: Scott Cunningham. (See Phoe's post above)

Practical Guide to the Runes. By Lisa Peschel. A no-nonsense "how to" book for the beginner who desires to learn how to use the runes on a daily basis to improve the quality of life. Includes information on divination and talismanic magick, along with instructions on how to make your own runes. Very Helpful! Even recommended by many Rune sites.

Spiral Dance. By StarHawk. Briliant overview of the growth, suppression, and modern-day re-emergence of Witchcraft as a goddess-worshipping religion. Includes exercises, chants, charms, spells, and myths. A GREAT Read!!!

Inside a Witch's Coven. By Edain McCoy. Get an insider's look at how a real coven operates, from initiation and secret vows to parting rituals. Find step by step guidance for joining or forming a coven, plus sage advice to help you decide which group is the right one for you. A very practical source of wisdom. Also helpful to the Solitary who is unsure if Coven life is right for them!

Kitanya_Rose

Aya Azura

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:36 pm
Um...let's see...

Circle Round: Raising Children in Goddess Tradition , Starhawk, Diane Baker, and Anne Hill.

It's good if you want a basic, but real explanation for things. I like it a lot, I recommend for parents for their kids.

Wicca for Life , Raymond Buckland. It helped, but he makes Sabbats seem like a s**t-load of work, it's sort of insane. It's a good read though.

Sabbats, Edain McCoy. Don't try the recipes unless you don't really value your kitchen or your house. Great read for Sabbat learning though.

The Secret Teachings of all Ages ,Manly P. Hall. Awesome. I love it, but it's a huge book. It's sort of dry, but if you want to ready anything on the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, it's amazing.

The Hermetica (I have no idea who writes it.) Alsoo good if you want to study Hermeticism.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:32 pm
crying I want to get Animal Speak, but I can't find it.
I live in Canada, so somehow I doubt anyone could really help.
Guess I'll have to order it..  

Aleria Carventus

*~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas